Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:07 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Completely New to EQ

I'm totally new to EQ and I have a lot of questions. The biggest one being which class is the most newbie friendly? I don't want to play something totally brain dead, but I also don't want to get invested in a character and not really know what to do with it.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:42 AM
Sarnak

Mage is good starter class. Not big on gear dependency and has a pet to tank for you. Can give it damage shield and you can nuke as well. Good soloing and grouping.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:02 AM
Fire Giant

or wiz/druid for porting and money, specially druid. then you can eyeball other peopel and paly styles and jumpstart another char
or go like me and main a warrior first on a new server
Kittens Who Say Meow / Asgard / The Mystical Order / Forsaken / Aftermath
Sacrifice*P99G*
[] Tunare 2000+ Kabijito [] FippyDarkpaw TLP Radda []
Old 09-16-2016, 03:07 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the advice. What did you mean by wiz/druid? Is there multiclassing?
Old 09-16-2016, 03:30 AM
Sarnak

Honestly, the best thing you can do Imo is join Ways of Yore. It's a new guild that is dedicated to achieving as much of an original EQ experience as possible. I'm joining tonight when I get home from work.

There are three reasons I suggest this. Currently, P99 is extremely overinflated with items, money and characters. As the charter states, the server didn't follow the correct release path because it's a fan project and couldn't develop fast enough so they were in classic for that much longer. So Classic items and Kunark items are utterly flooded. Also, there's a huge glut of platinum around and the economy is pretty borked. Ways of Yore have a rule about only trading and selling within the guild. This means the economy they create is completely self sustaining and self contained and as close to a classic EQ economy as possible. People are bartering and trading and skilling up tradeskills and it's all very exciting!

Second, Ways of Yore is going to go through the content chronologically. Right now, they're only playing oin the 3 main continents. What this means is that it's basically like Classic everquest. They're not touching content and zones that were added in Kunark and Velious, so it's a great time to join as a new player and really experience ALL of the game, from the beginning.

Thirdly, the guild is so tight knit! They're doing everything together and it's truly amazing to experience from an outside perspective that I can't wait to get in on the action tonight and enjoy over the weekend. They're 100% focused on helping each other and doing things as a guild and making sure everyone is having a good time. They're doing guild raids on hard lowbie dungeons and it's literally as Classic EQ as it gets.

I strongly urge you to consider joining them.

Here's their charter and mission:

(Ways of Yore)

Project 1999's Progression Guild

Ways of yore is a guild on the Project 1999 server dedicated to progressing through content starting with classic.
In the start we will limit ourselves only to the original three continents. After sometime has passed we will vote
to decide when we will allow Kunark, and Velious. We have a vision of working together, questing, tradeskilling, and
playing this game in a manner like the server is fresh without other people playing for years.

This vision is difficult considering the server has been out 7 years now. It was also in kunark for over 3 years.
The economy of the server is very unbalanced. The raid scene out of control. The amount of platinum in circulation
way more then on live. Also players are twinked to the teeth with items that were much less common on live due to a
different timeline. These circumstances make for a game significantly less hard then it was in 1999. We seek to play
as if it were 1999. So to do this we have a few rules. Simple easy to follow rules that will try to make this as close
to possible without much fuss.

1. No Buying Items off players not in guild. NO EC TUNNEL TRADING. We are an independent economy from the server.
2. No buying quest items, weapons, armor or anything off a merchant that a player sold to it. Only items the merchant has listed on the wiki.
3. No sitting in east commonlands tunnel bumming platinum or buffs to power level self.
4. Grouping with other players is ok, but please prioritize grouping together.
5. Asking for buffs, or a port. from a character in your current zone is ok. Do not /who all for clarity or ports
6. Personal friends not in guild may help with a port or a buff but no powerleveling and no twinking.
7. No twinking your character with plat from another character or items from another character.
8. No powerleveling. If your in a group and someone helps your group that is fine but no seeking it out or paying for it.
9. Since bard kiting has been nerfed it is ok to bard kite.
10. No iksars in guild, Untill we vote on kunark. (there is a guild doing the same thing as us in kunark, Children of Cabalis) Direct them there.
11. No having a higher level character kill mobs for you to get quest items, or gear.
12. No kunark expansion, or velious untill community votes for us to go there.
13. Characters under level 20, NOT LEVEL 20, under. may join us if they start naked, delete or give away all items
and baptize them selves in the koandil fish pond in qeynos to remove the stench of twinking. (Officer discretion)

We prioritize tradeskilling, questing, and killing mobs for our gear. Helping each other. Having fun. Reliving everquest like it
was in the year 1999. These rules may sound rough but it is the closest thing we have to a new server feel without a new server.
We continue to grow daily and are having much fun. So please join us if you wish.

Contact someone in game - For invite.

Leader - Baldere
Marshal - Peadmei
General - Wyoming
Colonel - Thaelvyn
Major - Maciver
Last edited by Sillyturtle; 09-16-2016 at 03:45 AM..
Old 09-16-2016, 04:09 AM
Fire Giant

Considering this is a museum of a server, I totally respect this actions above. Play your wAy
Kittens Who Say Meow / Asgard / The Mystical Order / Forsaken / Aftermath
Sacrifice*P99G*
[] Tunare 2000+ Kabijito [] FippyDarkpaw TLP Radda []
Old 09-16-2016, 04:27 AM
Orc

for a first class depending one what your looking for a necro is a good shout, very good class for exploring dungeons however it is more of solo class (although they are very good in groups when played well) plus they are decent for farming.

If you are looking for a more group orientated class a cleric if you're into healing (very few spots to solo if you cant get a group) or a shaman are good choice (shaman is both strong solo and in grouping but all the high end gear and spells are crazy expensive.)

hope that helps with your choice. Any question hit me up
Old 09-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Fire Giant

You are a brave soul playing this ancient MMO but it's a good move. This is still the best MMO out there (well maybe not the live server version) IMO and if you missed it during the EQ heyday it's great to have the opportunity to experience it now. Until Pantheon comes out there really isn't another MMO like this on the market.

As for the noob friendly class advice..people always say druid and I can see why that works in the long run but I have always found druid to be sort of grueling until you hit at least 14 when you get SoW and a better DOT. Druids do a lot of things but don't excel at anything (except maybe travel) but below 14 druids are really bad at almost everything. If you can make it past those teen levels the class starts to improve a good deal and into the 20's you can start healing a bit better and doing more damage and of course porting. You can start soloing better after 14 also with a semi-effective root/rot strategy but it's a very boring strategy to kill and can be frustrating when root breaks constantly. In mid to later levels druids solo much better and get much more versatile in groups with solid buffs, heals and utility.

I think two other classes that are probably better for a noob (but not as versatile or mobile as the druid) would be mage and necro. Necro does great in groups thanks to their healing and twitching (mana transfer) and their pet is powerful. You also get Feign Death which is an amazing survival tool. Mage pet is super OP at lower levels. Mage can also summon some useful stuff like weapons, bags.

If you like healing I would say druid if you can manage until the mid 20's when your heal starts to improve or if you want to be a much better healer go cleric. Cleric play is pretty straight forward so I think it's noob friendly but you will be much more reliant on other players as they don't solo that well and they have very little utility except Rez which is great but doesn't really come into play until much later. Shaman is also a solid noob choice for healing if you want to excel at buffs and debuffs.

Look me up in game if you are looking for a leveling guild. We have a good number of lower level players and a few that are even new to EQ like yourself. Our guild has a lot of very friendly and helpful people who will answer questions and help you out if needed. Most importantly, we try to all group together to make leveling more fun. We are also looking ahead to Pantheon so we can move there as a group when we get the chance even though that is quite a ways off.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Fire Giant

Smile

Wow, some good novels here ^^ Lots of information!
Last edited by maskedmelonpai; 09-16-2016 at 05:09 PM..
Old 09-17-2016, 03:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelonpai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, some good novels here ^^ Lots of information!
Have to do something other than work while at work. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]