Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 10:10 PM
Fire Giant

Default Having the toughest time deciding. Mage or Necro?

Been on this server for a while, started on day one. Rerolled too many times to count trying to figure out what class to take as a main. In that time I've traded out gear in EC for a new class, would play it for a few days, then go back to trade it out again and repeat the process. In all that time the highest level I've reached was around 25 on a couple characters. Those were a mage and a necro.

I'm still uncertain at this point but I think those are the two characters I've narrowed it down to, in terms of fun and what I'm looking for in a class. Before I take any of them further I had some questions regarding the later levels. One of the big goals I have in this game is to one day see raids and kill gods and dragons. Been into EQ since the year 1999 but that is something I never got to do. I want to make sure I'm playing something that will get accepted to a raid one day. With the level of population of those two classes it is something I worry about, especially necromancer.

Other factors I'm wondering in comparing the two classes are;
-Soloability, which class can do more?
-Dungeon zone clearing, if I went back to a lower level dungeon to explore/kill stuff, which one would be better at that?
-Group usefulness, when I get the opportunity to join them.

There is another concern too, regarding the epic. I'd love to one day earn an epic but I hear the Magician one is incredibly balls-to-the-wall hard. I also heard the Necromancer one isn't much easier.

Can you guys help me decide what to play?
Old 02-09-2021, 10:12 PM
Large Bat

COTH Bot or Twitch Bot??
Old 02-09-2021, 10:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccorkle66 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
COTH Bot or Twitch Bot??
I would do any role that's required of me if that's what it takes to raid. Which one is more useful and supports more overlap though? To increase my chances of getting into one?
Old 02-09-2021, 10:16 PM
Planar Protector

Cleric then.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cleric then.
That was a strong 3rd choice I was considering as well. Easy epic, good soloing path, raids can't function with out them, groups love them, etc etc.

My biggest concerns were their ability to explore and do stuff on their own other than killing undead. I would need my hand held getting to a camp a group is at, and so on. If I was bored and wanted to kill some hill giants one day, would I be able to do it as a cleric?
Old 02-09-2021, 10:26 PM
Aviak

necro. its more versatile in soloing to 50 and can fd to avoid losing exp.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That was a strong 3rd choice I was considering as well. Easy epic, good soloing path, raids can't function with out them, groups love them, etc etc.

My biggest concerns were their ability to explore and do stuff on their own other than killing undead. I would need my hand held getting to a camp a group is at, and so on. If I was bored and wanted to kill some hill giants one day, would I be able to do it as a cleric?
Well killing HG's is boring and awful and nerfed now anyway. Here's the thing, make friends with enchanters. You are the strongest duo in the game and can go explore and farm damn near anything.

The game is full of compromises. The powerhouse solo classes sacrifice a lot in raid guild desirability. Your best bet for raiding main going into Velious are rogue and cleric, both have easy epics or in the case of cleric at least an epic your guild will shove into your hands asap. But rogues aren't soloing well in most circumstances so that makes cleric the choice for you. The big drawback with cleric is really the playstyle itself being a main healer, doesn't appeal strongly to many people as a main class choice, but you'll never feel unwanted.

If its strictly mage or necro though, necro wins hands down.
Last edited by Fammaden; 02-09-2021 at 10:43 PM..
Old 02-09-2021, 10:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The game is full of compromises.
This is true. I often think about this while struggling on what to play.
"This class can do this, but not this, hmm..."

I try to think about which choice will give me the most in what I can do, then I mentally try to wave off what it can't do into something I don't really need. As an example, in the case of the cleric, I suppose I don't really need to kill giants if I can roam the world making bank on rezzes later, right?

Stuff like that. It's something I've thought way too hard on over the months I've been playing here. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-09-2021, 10:59 PM
Planar Protector

Rezzing isn't that lucrative overall. Money generally just comes with getting higher levels honestly. Some classes farm better than others of course, but if the choice is mage/necro they are both fine for that. And again, chanter duo, you can farm big ticket stuff to sell. You can also easily find invites to tough cash camps in places like seb as a high level cleric. The class really opens up many roads but its just boring being strictly a healer and there's no glory and little interactivity like a melee has. Although in that ench/cleric duo you are going to be stunning, rooting, needing to be on your toes keeping the ench pet from killing you both. So its more exciting but also a bit stressful and attention intensive.

Its hard to go wrong with necro though, and you can do a little of everything. The biggest drawback is finding groups but its not at all impossible, certainly better off than wizard or druid. If you're motivated and dedicated enough you will find your way into raiding on any class, and necro has a ton more interesting raid utility than a vending machine/cothbot mage. And its easier on either class to slack off than on a cleric if that's a selling point for you.
Last edited by Fammaden; 02-09-2021 at 11:02 PM..
Old 02-10-2021, 12:45 AM
Planar Protector

Mages aren’t good for dungeon crawling because they have no CC beyond their root pet proc. They are also pretty boring to level and, because of the lack of CC, can sometimes be limited in the camps they can do. I’d say they are more valued in groups than necro though and also in raids once you have CotH

Overall if you’re soloing a lot, Necro will be more fun
Closed Thread