Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New and Questions About Finding Groups

Hi!

I just started a few days ago so I'm really new to everything. I am playing a cleric and level 11 so far.

The main thing I'm hoping to do is make friends and do things with groups or even just a partner or 2. I'd like to do things with others as much as possible and avoid soloing whenever it's possible. Another thing that would be really nice is to be able to explore or do different dungeons at the right level, where they are still hard to do.

So my question is, does anyone have any advice on the best way to find groups? Maybe before even going to a dungeon instead of trying to find one there? I'm a bit worried of making a long trip to somewhere to find that no one is there, or maybe that no one ever really goes there. Is there a way that people usually get together to form groups or partners? The LFG tool seems like it is always empty, I have never seen anyone listed there.

Thank you!
Old 07-08-2019, 11:20 PM
Fire Giant

There's a lot there.. A few tips:

A. You picked a good class. You are desirable in any zone and can get duos or trios also. Cleric+enchanter is widely considered the strongest duo in the game and in a trio you have more options than can be listed but cleric + tank + dps class is very effective.

B. Level 20 and below is very casual, few people care what class you are as long as the group can function. Once you get into 20s and 30s classes become more specialized.

C. Do a /who all zonename (wiki has this info for each zone) to see who is there, do not be scared to send someone a tell asking if zone has players before traveling. People are generally very nice.

D. Join a leveling guild. Also type /lfg on ..... Later in the game people will seek you out due to you being a cleric.

E. Do not be scared to tell people you are new. Many established players will go out of their way to help a new player.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

There has been a small group of us at around levels 10-13 grouping together. Right now in Western Karana. What zone are you in/around?

Look for Mauxe or Krauppe in game!
Old 07-09-2019, 01:10 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thank you so much that was really helpful! Especially the part about being able to do who all and find out who is in a certain zone that will be a huge help! I had no idea you could do that.

Right now I am still near where i started so I have been in crushbone. I don't mind traveling, though I don't really know my way around yet. I will look for Mauxe or Krauppe either way.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome to P99!

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah615 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a bit worried of making a long trip to somewhere to find that no one is there, or maybe that no one ever really goes there. Is there a way that people usually get together to form groups or partners? The LFG tool seems like it is always empty, I have never seen anyone listed there.

Thank you!
Hi,

Expediency gave you the best tips, traveling around is part of the game design as no one cared if it was the most efficient means of play time, its also why spells and abilities are in the game to navigate the world. Open world, free to roam was fairly new.

Most of the time there will be some people at the entrance to a dungeon standing around with LFG tag, asking for a "CC" (camp check) and see what is taken and what your group can handle, you will be leaning on the experience of other players for this until you get your bearings. Don't ever go AFK inside the dungeon, you will most likely come back standing at your bind spot naked.

The LFG tool was not part of this era of EQ, the reason it is there is the same reason why some of the UI features do not work, the devs used the Titanium client to get this working. The wrong character selection, creation, lack of tutorial and intro video as well the ugly default UI (plus widescreen monitors being a thing now). There is no night blindness for races like Humans and Barbarian with infravision (orange glow) for races like Wood Elves and ultravision (violet glow) for Dark Elves.

** Dark elf vision was closer to something like this in the Forgotten Realms books, considering they lived in darkness. Technically they should have been blind during the day like humans were at night. EQ did the best it could given the time it released. We have all the technology is the world these days but the imagination has been replaced by min/max.
Last edited by Mblake81; 07-09-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Old 07-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Planar Protector

Just make sure not to XP in warrens or some people may train and steal your mobs and then tell you to not be dramatic

(But on a real note, if you see someone just soloing, especially melee, just shoot them a tell if they want to team up. Works often at that low level range. Many porters will port low / obviously new players for free or cheap if you want to hit up dungeons across Norrath)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:58 AM
Aviak

if u need a port or some starting plat look me up on dialanelf i can help with some starting pp and ports. I will be on from work in approximately 10.5 to 11 hrs
Old 07-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Banned

Yeah, /who all Dial will bring up the server taxi guild <Dial A Port>, shoot a tell to a member and see what can get worked out. If members show up on the list then they are on duty and actively porting.

Note: Don't rob yourself of seeing the world, at least a little bit. In era there were no taxi guilds, you had to send a tell to a random person who might be busy or know a friend/guild mate. Go adventuring across the world with poor sense heading skill, learning how to use /location, avoiding creatures that can one shot you and not being totally sure you will be able to find your corpse.

First game I ever took a ride on a ship across a pixel ocean...with rumors of sea beasts waiting for some damn fool to fall in.. and being on iffy dial up which would drop you at any moment.. log back in, night time and cant see.. no maps and stranded swimming in the middle of nowhere.

Your skill at PANIC has increased! (20)

It's part of the ride.
Last edited by Mblake81; 07-09-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Old 07-10-2019, 07:05 AM
Kobold

There is a lot of good information in here, also, much as I find sending someone to a guide annoying, as a brand new player it is highly recommended that you check out the wiki and take a look at the leveling guide, it will give you a good idea of where people congregate at which levels. Some really common zones to level are:

Crushbone 10 - 18 or so
Estate of Unrest 15 to 25ish
Highold Keep goblins 25 to 33 (highly recommend)
Mistmoore 30 to 36 ish
City of Mist till you get Complete Heal, at which point you can go literally anywhere and group with people of any level.

Get your seb key.

Alternatively, once you hit 20 you can go upper guk to lower guk till 40 but I find it lacking in variation. Also, if you can get a regular group of friends, I highly recommend Sol A in your 20s. It is a ton of fun and exceptional exp.

Whatever you choose, welcome to P99 and have fun.
Closed Thread