Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzni [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The server has a population of 1000+ consistently because it doesn't have anything that comes close to the experience it provides. Releasing the source and database would hurt that, so you won't see that released until the server has died, which isn't even close to happening.

I'm sure some people have access to Roegan and Nilbog, but you should ask yourself why you want to contact them. If you want to badger them on what their future plans are then you've probably found the reason that you have trouble contacting them.

They can't legally accept payment except for hardware and hosting donations from what I understand. They both have real jobs and probably families, and they have been running this for the last 5 years or something. I wouldn't doubt that over the years their interest has ebbed and flowed.

Nilbog's goal was to recreate the glory times of EQ as he sees it. If his goal is accomplished he might be done. He doesn't owe anyone anything, and he has no obligation to release any of the source or database ever.
I sense some defensiveness here. I am not trying to get them to do anything for free or asking any more from them. I was just curious if there was a next step after Velious because I like Project 1999. I'm actually only interested in the PvP server. There are a couple people that would like to make PvP servers but don't have the resources or time to do as good of a job as these devs have.

As for the payments, I was referring to methods that would help with the costs, not donations that would pay a salary.

If they don't plan on going open source and don't plan on doing anything else besides keeping these two servers open the way they are that is fine with me, I was just wondering if they had future goals including open source or new servers.
Last edited by HippoNipple; 06-03-2016 at 02:47 PM..
Old 06-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiscriminate_hater [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
cats on the moon, modified AAs, nerf bard kiting, enforce ROTATIONS, FRONTAL STUN IMMUNITAAGHAGGHHH
Old 06-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Kobold

anyone who wants to truly better the world releases it for free and open source so people can learn and improve.

noteworthy examples below.

linux
tls/ssl
early id games
tor
firefox

it's not like they are making money off this server. it's not going to hurt their revenue to release it. in fact it would be able to be evaluated and approved by the community. there's no reason to have a black curtain in front of the window here.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cats on the moon? I can deal with that.

H
Owwwwwww

So you saying there's a chance for AAs and Beastlords? And ssra temple and vex thal and emp 2hs????
Old 06-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Owwwwwww

So you saying there's a chance for AAs and Beastlords? And ssra temple and vex thal and emp 2hs????
no, but TAKP there is.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by snead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
anyone who wants to truly better the world releases it for free and open source so people can learn and improve.

linux
tls/ssl
early id games
tor
firefox

it's not like they are making money off this server. it's not going to hurt their revenue to release it. in fact it would be able to be evaluated and approved by the community. there's no reason to have a black curtain in front of the window here.
you sweet summer child
Old 06-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Banned

thanks haynar i appreciate response
Old 06-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thanks haynar i appreciate response
Appreciate it too Big H
Old 06-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

linux
tls/ssl
early id games
tor
firefox

That makes sense when there is competition already ahead of you and a need to improve but P1999 is a different situation. Them going open source wouldn't better their position, it would actually worsen it, but it would be a good thing for everyone else.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:54 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoNipple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That makes sense when there is competition already ahead of you and a need to improve but P1999 is a different situation. Them going open source wouldn't better their position, it would actually worsen it, but it would be a good thing for everyone else.
what do you mean by worsen their position? you think some new emu server is going to trump p99? let me ask you this. why does p99 care about numbers anyways? if anything it means less petitions to respond to.