Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As I said, it can be a lot of fun for a seasoned EQ player to roll a tough class and play it ungeared. But for an inexperienced person rolling a naked warrior is going to be a much harsher experience than necessary. Especially coming from WoW.

It's like taking someone who has never played Dark Souls before and telling them "hey man, it's a lot of fun to run this game backwards, using only the weapon you start with, and trying to never get hit." It is fun, but it's going to blow as your first experience. Let a guy get used to the new game first.
Honestly, my first toon here was a troll SK, I was using EC to get the best gear I could and the experience sucked for me. Everything that dropped sucked compared to what I was wearing. It was like I was putting in lots of time and was only getting useless rewards and my success in raising my level was achieved by whoever had farmed the gear I bought not me.

In the end I got to the mid 20s and decided enough was enough. I rerolled to a halfling warrior using only equipment I had looted or quested to get to 60. I took great enjoyment travelling Norrath, visiting out of the way zones to fun items that were meaningful to me.

Obviously this is my own story, but to suggest playing through the game in an unintended way (twinked melee) is the proper route for all players is obviously not always right. Indeed playing through the game 'properly' first really helps you appreciate how much twinkling helps. Even if it diminishes the struggle, the overcoming of which is the source of enjoyment from the game.

Maybe I'm just a masochist.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Maybe I'm just a masochist.
Anyone playing EQ is a masochist on some level.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, my first toon here was a troll SK
Trolls have a huge XP penalty. Halflings have a bonus.

I submit that it wasn't the class that was killing your fun, it was your race.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by port9001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
100% agree with the above about not needing to be a twink to be a Warrior. This requirement of Warrior requiring proc weapons to hold aggro is far more about other people (read: groupmates) being lazy than the Warrior actually needing these tools.
I can see this being somewhat acceptable up until SHM/ENC begin using Slow. You will 100% lose aggro to a Slow spell and your ENC/SHM will die if you follow this strategy. You cannot Taunt aggro off fast enough to save them, either. If you want to follow this strategy and forego getting a proc weapon, group with another class that can rip aggro with certainty - Like a SHD - and then the WAR can rip off of them. But in that position you're better off being a DPS and letting the SHD tank.

Don't listen to detractors - you can tank all non-raid content as a Knight. In a standard 6 person group a SHD or PAL is an acceptable tank and can often hold aggro better than a WAR. I think SHD regen mana enough to be able to cast Disease Cloud even when they're running on fumes.

Unless you want to be the Main Assist for Raid level bosses a WAR is going to be a big investment in time and money. If that's your choice, god speed you sir. Find me in game and I'll hook you up with some banded armor to get you started.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:27 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xulia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can see this being somewhat acceptable up until SHM/ENC begin using Slow. You will 100% lose aggro to a Slow spell and your ENC/SHM will die if you follow this strategy. You cannot Taunt aggro off fast enough to save them, either. If you want to follow this strategy and forego getting a proc weapon, group with another class that can rip aggro with certainty - Like a SHD - and then the WAR can rip off of them. But in that position you're better off being a DPS and letting the SHD tank
If only those slowing classes had some some kind of spell to prevent the mob from ripping their face off. Some kind of way to root them in place, ya know? Alas, they never got it.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by port9001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If only those slowing classes had some some kind of spell to prevent the mob from ripping their face off. Some kind of way to root them in place, ya know? Alas, they never got it.
I forgot that Root spells work 100% of the time and never get resisted.

Or you can just group with a class that can snap and hold aggro without the need for a proc weapon. War's have raid tanking, Knights have all other aspects of the game.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:42 AM
Sarnak

dont forget that as you level, and the level range of groupies widens, a paladin who is at the top end of this level range can heal as well as dedicated healer class.

WAR = hard to fulfill tanking role if undergeared (some impatient groupies will hate you)
SK = best group tank
PAL = 2nd best group tank; can heal

play a monk
Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
play a monk
I approve of this message
Old 07-11-2019, 04:32 AM
Fire Giant

Halfcell is the only person here who puts himself in the OP's shoes, while the majority bases on their current state of eq knowledge and past experience.

The grind and difficulty, the lack of transparency in game, the shitty graphics and animations, the high penalty, the stupid inconvenience, the e-peen issues in the player community - all these "hardcore" aspects are fun for you because you are not new to EQ in 2019.

Talking to a brand new player about min/maxing and end game raiding, seriously wtf is wrong with you people. 99% chance this guy is going to quit this game before his war hits lvl 52.
Last edited by wagorf; 07-11-2019 at 04:35 AM..
Old 07-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Fire Giant

Playing a warrior without lots of friends/a guild/plat will suck. Here's why:

- You will have lots of downtime with your only healing coming from bandages. Without racial sneak, you'll either have to carry them and restock (can be problematic) or go without.

- You're dependent on other players for everything. Not just heals and CC, but invis, levitate, run speed, really basic stuff you don't even think about when you're an established player.

- You have no access to many of the good money making methods as a warrior. You're shit at soloing and without decent gear, so-so at duoing since you have no pulling tools. This means you're fighting uphill from day 1.

- No plat = no clickies to fix any of the above, and a lot of the stuff you'd need is nodrop/trade, which means you can't exactly transfer it if you end up not enjoying the class.

I leveled a warrior, monk, and shaman. A few months after I took some time to start playing semi-seriously (got the shaman to 55, monk to 51, warrior to 30 since), I received the funds from 2 friends to purchase a fungi and some nice melee weapons. Even then, playing the warrior felt like garbage. Having access to a fungi is basically OP's best case scenario.

In every other game, I play a warrior. In this game it feels like hell unless you're decked out. You can't do anything without help or clickies. Can't split spawns, can't outrun mobs, can't port, can't invis, etc. I guess you could make a halfling warrior for racial sneak, but I'd suggest playing a monk instead. Hell, even SKs can fear kite.

I honestly wouldn't suggest playing a warrior unless you either really, really want to and know what you're in for, or you have a fungi and enough cash for good haste and good weapons
Last edited by fortior; 07-11-2019 at 08:15 AM..
Closed Thread