Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 10:25 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a relief to know there is an issue with Freeport. I got quite frustrated trying to do West Freeport last night, and I'm glad that the problem isn't my ability to follow instructions.
The maps are way off in terms of the placement of buildings, size of structures.. and the grids are labeled oddly. It's not horrible if you are just using the map to get an idea of where to go.. but the red X project makes them impossible to use.

I've been looking around at other FP maps. I don't love any of them. I'm going to try to make a similar, hand-drawn and colored map... but accurate (those are the maps I used to have in a binder!!!)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It wasn't an obvious problem, until I tried to do the 'zoom factor' part. Then I realized something was really amiss.

I'm going to take a crack at Kaladim. Hopefully I'll be able to finish that one.
Sorry the Freeport maps wound up being such a hassle for you guys. This is part of the "fun" of the wiki: you never know what's actually there until you look closely (although in this case our beloved EQMaps.com cartographer is really to blame).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauxe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been looking around at other FP maps. I don't love any of them. I'm going to try to make a similar, hand-drawn and colored map... but accurate
If you can manage it that would be amazing. Obviously I didn't plan on this, but if the old bank account isn't too dry by the end of this challenge and you do manage to produce such maps, I think I might be able to find a little extra plat to reward you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauxe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(those are the maps I used to have in a binder!!!)
Me too! Nice, full-page color printings [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] The things we did when we didn't have two monitors.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I have also tried looking at Blackburrow. I think dungeons are going to be difficult or might only be able to incorporate dungeon-specific mobs that have 1 spawn point. Gnolls are all over the place and not just in BB.

Either that or the mob list for each dungeon needs to be re-worked to only include spawns in the dungeon... could all link back to the main creature post. Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I have also tried looking at Blackburrow. I think dungeons are going to be difficult or might only be able to incorporate dungeon-specific mobs that have 1 spawn point. Gnolls are all over the place and not just in BB.

Either that or the mob list for each dungeon needs to be re-worked to only include spawns in the dungeon... could all link back to the main creature post. Just a thought.
Yeah, this whole plan revolved around a 2d map. 3d zones like Blackburrow will essentially need three maps worth of data, and then on top of that every mob in the zone would need to be updated so instead of say "Location: 100% @ (196, 146)" they say something like "Location: 100% @ (196, 146, 3rd level)".

But, as nice as it might be to make it easier for people to find the Gnoll Brewer, I think we should go after the "low hanging fruit" (ie. zones that do have 2D maps, and have lots of NPCs people might be looking for). After the cities are done, I think maybe the "city-adjacent" zones (Qeynos Hills, Butcherblock, etc.) might make the most sense ...

... although if someone really wants to go fix every mob in Blackburrow (or wherever else) and they want to do the work to find the info for all three of the Blackburrow maps ... I'll promise to make the Javascript work somehow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry the Freeport maps wound up being such a hassle for you guys. This is part of the "fun" of the wiki: you never know what's actually there until you look closely (although in this case our beloved EQMaps.com cartographer is really to blame).

If you can manage it that would be amazing. Obviously I didn't plan on this, but if the old bank account isn't too dry by the end of this challenge and you do manage to produce such maps, I think I might be able to find a little extra plat to reward you.

Me too! Nice, full-page color printings [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] The things we did when we didn't have two monitors.
Not at all! It was actually fun and figuring out FP taught me the most about this whole process. I got a lot of good notes as well.

I am a "new" player in that I have not logged as much time in game. I did join p99 quite a few years ago but it didn't stick until recently. So plat is useful but not required. It's relaxing to "work" on something like this and hopefully it will be useful to others.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, this whole plan revolved around a 2d map. 3d zones like Blackburrow will essentially need three maps worth of data, and then on top of that every mob in the zone would need to be updated so instead of say "Location: 100% @ (196, 146)" they say something like "Location: 100% @ (196, 146, 3rd level)".

But, as nice as it might be to make it easier for people to find the Gnoll Brewer, I think we should go after the "low hanging fruit" (ie. zones that do have 2D maps, and have lots of NPCs people might be looking for). After the cities are done, I think maybe the "city-adjacent" zones (Qeynos Hills, Butcherblock, etc.) might make the most sense ...

... although if someone really wants to go fix every mob in Blackburrow (or wherever else) and they want to do the work to find the info for all three of the Blackburrow maps ... I'll promise that if they do I'll make the Javascript work somehow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started working on outside maps to leave some cities for others [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I started working on outside maps to leave some cities for others [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And you are a wonderful person for doing so!

Also I should announce that Mauxe is now the second person to hit the challenge limit and earn 1.7k by helping the wiki (and adding North and South Felwithe and Halas ... and East Commonlands)! Be sure to PM me when (now?) you'd like to pickup your plat.

P.S. I started Misty Thicket, but didn't get very far. If you wind up doing it this might save you five seconds of work:

Code:
      height: 341,
      image: 'Map_mistythicket.jpg', 
      modifier: ?,
      test: {
        maxX: 2000,
        maxY: 1000,
        minX: -3000,
        minY: -1000
      },
      width: 550,
      zeroX: ?,
      zeroY: ?

Last edited by loramin; 07-07-2019 at 11:18 AM..
Old 07-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Skeleton

South Kaladim is going much smoother than my attempt at West Freeport, but RL keeps interrupting and it'll be a few more hours before I can actually finish it.

But while looking at the Kaladim maps, I realized that North Kaladim doesn't appear appear to have a 0,0 point anywhere on the map. Am I missing something, or would it be impossible to complete the task for North Kaladim?
Old 07-07-2019, 02:11 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
South Kaladim is going much smoother than my attempt at West Freeport, but RL keeps interrupting and it'll be a few more hours before I can actually finish it.

But while looking at the Kaladim maps, I realized that North Kaladim doesn't appear appear to have a 0,0 point anywhere on the map. Am I missing something, or would it be impossible to complete the task for North Kaladim?
TL;DR: You picked another broken one [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There are a couple of issues with North Kaladin.
the problem with no 0,0 isn't bad. It just takes some work.
The X for 0,0 is going to need to be well below the image. You just need to make a good estimate of where that is. I used a ruler on my screen for one. Then you can figure out the rest. The grid at the end will be bigger than the image but I don't think that matters. The outside area isn't used unless a coordinate puts something there.

The second issue is that the map image has an extension moved off to the side rather than continued north. That won't work. The map would need to be made whole and extended up to 1500. Anyone good with photoshop?
Last edited by Mauxe; 07-07-2019 at 02:24 PM..
Old 07-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The second issue is that the map image has an extension moved off to the side rather than continued north. That won't work. The map would need to be made whole and extended up to 1500. Anyone good with photoshop?
Not at all, but I made this anyway:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

With a little effort it could probably get prettier, but that's at least a basic cut/paste along the loc lines.

However, before I (or anyone else) tries to make it look better ... is it even accurate? Does anyone have a toon in Kaladim that can check?

Closed Thread