Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Bump.

Is this enough information?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Project Manager

It's enough information to make it droppable till its nerfed. So, that's fixed, pending update.

As far as ANYONE being able to click it? No. It would take undeniable proof for that to happen, as it creates a game balance issue with players hording the ability to bind affinity. That should be reserved for locket of escape, as its generally known.

DEF Sks though.. Fit right in with lore and comments.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks nilbog!!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Fire Giant

What kind of proof are we talking about? I'm not sure what would constitute proof, unless you mean a screenshot or something of a non-DE using it in 99-01? Would a fraps of non-DE on live now be sufficicient? Lucy clearly shows clickable by anyone, and the Lucy history hasn't changed in that regard since initial entry in 2003. I don't believe Sony or Verant would have changed the ring to be clickable by all.

The balance issue is precisely why it was removed. I assume the fact that it remained rechargeable was an oversight on Sony's part. I mean... why then allow any prenerf item? Verant retro-nerfed some items because of the extreme imbalancing they created, and Ring of the Dead wasn't one of them.

I do recognize that P99 is pretty un-classic in that we know what's coming, especially in terms of future expansions and nerfs, but that's nothing unique to this ring. Everybody knew that rubicite and manastones would go away, so they were hoarded as well. The ring is honestly a lot tougher to get than a manastone or rubicite, as they don't require faction.

The obvious application here is for a melee to bind in firepot room. It's totally unclassic for people to know all about the firepots and rush in there to bind on day 1. May as well disallow that?

If I faction my ogre shadowknight all the way up, and complete the quest, I fail to see how that's imbalancing. If you were to make the ring non-tradeable DURING the window that firepot room is bindable or something, that would make sense, as the balance issue is so huge and people really weren't, for the most part, able to bind their melees without a locket.

It's your server, you can do what you want. I understand the balance issue present, but restricting to dark elf SK/necro only seems to be pretty un-classic, and not in line with the philosophy of the server.

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Last edited by uygi; 03-11-2011 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 03-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Fire Giant

One other thought... assuming for the moment they were both clickable by all and temporarily tradeable on live classic... if for balance reasons on this server there was a decision to NOT have that, I think leaving them nodrop and removing the quest is more classic than restricting the race/class.

A huge element of EQ, when it came out, was the idea that most any relevant faction COULD be fixed. It was a strong roleplay element back then, the idea that you could prove yourself to a group that inherently distrusts/hates your race/class/deity.

Quote:
Last edited by uygi; 03-11-2011 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling again... yay me!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeroyoyort [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After a long day of ruining noam factions
*bursts into tears*
Old 03-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Planar Protector

So how exactly do you get this ring? I can't find any good information.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Fire Giant

That's part of why it's so classic, isn't it...

Quote:
Old 03-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by uygi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What kind of proof are we talking about? I'm not sure what would constitute proof, unless you mean a screenshot or something of a non-DE using it in 99-01? Would a fraps of non-DE on live now be sufficicient? Lucy clearly shows clickable by anyone, and the Lucy history hasn't changed in that regard since initial entry in 2003. I don't believe Sony or Verant would have changed the ring to be clickable by all.

The balance issue is precisely why it was removed. I assume the fact that it remained rechargeable was an oversight on Sony's part. I mean... why then allow any prenerf item? Verant retro-nerfed some items because of the extreme imbalancing they created, and Ring of the Dead wasn't one of them.

I do recognize that P99 is pretty un-classic in that we know what's coming, especially in terms of future expansions and nerfs, but that's nothing unique to this ring. Everybody knew that rubicite and manastones would go away, so they were hoarded as well. The ring is honestly a lot tougher to get than a manastone or rubicite, as they don't require faction.

The obvious application here is for a melee to bind in firepot room. It's totally unclassic for people to know all about the firepots and rush in there to bind on day 1. May as well disallow that?

If I faction my ogre shadowknight all the way up, and complete the quest, I fail to see how that's imbalancing. If you were to make the ring non-tradeable DURING the window that firepot room is bindable or something, that would make sense, as the balance issue is so huge and people really weren't, for the most part, able to bind their melees without a locket.

It's your server, you can do what you want. I understand the balance issue present, but restricting to dark elf SK/necro only seems to be pretty un-classic, and not in line with the philosophy of the server.
You assume too much.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 AM
Fire Giant

OK, two little questions:

1) What would constitute proof?

2) Why is the balance issue here considered prohibitive, given that Verant apparently didn't think so?

P.S. As always it's your server, and I'm nothing but grateful for all the hard work you put it to let a buncha total strangers play an awesome game. Thank you.

Quote:
Closed Thread