Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:58 AM
Planar Protector

What's that even got to do with an actual gas light though?
Old 06-24-2019, 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To knowingly and repeatedly lie until other people believe lie. I don't think it's gaslighting if the person legit believes what they are saying, even if it's incorrect. I think actual gaslighting is more about intent to deceive.

5-second wikipedia search:
ok now try to prove intent. you can't.

sorry for disagreeing
Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's that even got to do with an actual gas light though?
The term originated from the 1938 Patrick Hamilton play Gaslight and its 1940 and 1944 film adaptations, in which the gas-fueled lights in a character's home are dimmed when he turns the attic lights brighter while he searches the attic at night. He convinces his wife that she is imagining the change. The term has been used in clinical and research literature, as well as in political commentary.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ok now try to prove intent. you can't.

sorry for disagreeing
It's probably difficult or impossible to prove without a doubt. But in the cases where someone is presented with irrefutable evidence but continues the lie, one possibility is gaslighting (or some type of mental illness).

Or, when people admit their lie and intent after the fact.

But also, I'm not here to debate the details, I was just defining it, since people seem rather confused about something that can be clarified with a 5-second search.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:59 AM
Planar Protector

Discussion is a more fun and deeper way to explore ideas than google. Google doesn't make a great encyclopaedia. That aside, I appreciate the time you are spending on elaborating on the details.

I've been watching through Star Wars for my birthday. I'm on episode V. Is the way Han interacts with Leia gas lighting?
Old 06-24-2019, 05:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Discussion is a more fun and deeper way to explore ideas than google. Google doesn't make a great encyclopaedia. That aside, I appreciate the time you are spending on elaborating on the details.
Fair enough. I also didn't know the etymology of the word. When you asked, I looked it up to find out myself. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
I've been watching through Star Wars for my birthday. I'm on episode V. Is the way Han interacts with Leia gas lighting?
Happy birthday!

I'm no expert, but my simplistic understanding of the concept boils down to causing people to doubt their reality through the repetition of some falsehood. Like that old saying, repeat a lie enough times and it becomes truth...or however that goes.

As for Star Wars episode V, it's actually been several years since I've seen it, so I'm not entirely sure which interactions you're referring to.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:32 AM
Planar Protector

That’s wrong. Gaslighting is when you disagree with someone.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:33 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-24-2019, 08:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That’s wrong. Gaslighting is when you disagree with someone.
"I mean, people are always telling me... Cecily, how do you know so many things? Everyone with big brains knows what gaslighting is. It's only small-minded washed-up has-been losers with poor hygiene who don't know it means when you disagree with someone. Sad."

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 06-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's probably difficult or impossible to prove without a doubt. But in the cases where someone is presented with irrefutable evidence but continues the lie, one possibility is gaslighting (or some type of mental illness).

Or, when people admit their lie and intent after the fact.

But also, I'm not here to debate the details, I was just defining it, since people seem rather confused about something that can be clarified with a 5-second search.
let's just agree to disagree
Closed Thread