Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 03:47 PM
Large Rat

Talking Belated introduction and a hello to Green peoples o/

Greetings everyone!

As you can tell by my join date, I've been on the fence about jumping back in because I didn't want to play alone. I remember first playing EQ in 1999 with my younger brother, but I never got past level 10 with any of the characters I made. While I didn't really progress much, I fondly remember the sense of adventure the game invoked and how much fun it was exploring the different towns and newbie areas.

Personal circumstances kept me from continuing to play at the time, but I was finally able to convince my younger brother to have another go at things during the holidays. My research showed me just how different the modern version of the game is, and I don't like how they have a cash shop in it now, so P99 is perfect for us to re-experience the game (sans that beautiful screen-hog of a UI </3)

We've started up as an Enchanter (me) and Necromancer duo. I've had so much fun playing that I even created a Bard to play when I'm not playing with my brother.

We are currently level 6 and a bit stuck as to where to progress in Nektulos forest. The southern side of the bridge has kodiak bears that hit us REALLY hard, while the northern side cons mostly green (save for the halflings and lesser mummies). On top of that, we have the added complication of me being a Gnome and him being a Dark Elf (so he has to buy my spells for me in Neriak since they won't talk to me). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

For those interested we've scheduled to play together on Tuesday, Thursday, and (hopefully) Saturday evenings (PST). However, chances are you'll find me on my Bard sporadically throughout the week when I'm not busy.

Feel free to ping me on the official Discord (@Barb) if you'd like character names (I don't know why, but I feel weird posting them here at the moment).

My hope is that we are both able to grow strong enough to become contributing members to our shared world.

May we cross paths and go on many excellent adventures together [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-08-2021, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

Outside of the newbie areas it's common to see much harder mobs wandering amongst lower-level ones. You'll get used to avoiding them. Time to start exploring! Maybe switch it up and move to Steamfont and you can be the one buying spells for him instead? Also note that there's a caster guild in Freeport where you should be able to buy your spells, and there's even an underground necro/rogue one too!

https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide <- this has many great suggestions (spoilers!)

Don't forget to /consider everything! Lots of things want to kill you...

-Mcoy
Old 01-10-2021, 04:46 PM
Large Rat

Thank you for the link mcoy! we found the zombies and have been doing well there. Also, thanks for mentioning Freeport, I hadn't considered it so we'll check it out when I ding 8.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:36 PM
Sarnak

Head down to east commons (literally the adjacent zone) there are tons of mobs that will take you to 10 easily. Look for blue con black bears, and shadow wolves until your lvl 7-8 then you can start working on the orc camps. There’s a quest you can do in Freeport with the belts which is good exp.

Side benefit of EC is you can snag some buffs from nice higher lvl players and watch the auction logs for good deals on lowbie gear.

I might have missed it, which server did you say you’re playing on?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:20 PM
Banned

Also dont be afraid to make friends

EQ wasn't built for isolation

a lot of content requires group play

good luck out there and welcome to Norrath =)
Old 01-11-2021, 05:38 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by countbb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Greetings everyone!

As you can tell by my join date, I've been on the fence about jumping back in because I didn't want to play alone. I remember first playing EQ in 1999 with my younger brother, but I never got past level 10 with any of the characters I made. While I didn't really progress much, I fondly remember the sense of adventure the game invoked and how much fun it was exploring the different towns and newbie areas.

Personal circumstances kept me from continuing to play at the time, but I was finally able to convince my younger brother to have another go at things during the holidays. My research showed me just how different the modern version of the game is, and I don't like how they have a cash shop in it now, so P99 is perfect for us to re-experience the game (sans that beautiful screen-hog of a UI </3)

We've started up as an Enchanter (me) and Necromancer duo. I've had so much fun playing that I even created a Bard to play when I'm not playing with my brother.

We are currently level 6 and a bit stuck as to where to progress in Nektulos forest. The southern side of the bridge has kodiak bears that hit us REALLY hard, while the northern side cons mostly green (save for the halflings and lesser mummies). On top of that, we have the added complication of me being a Gnome and him being a Dark Elf (so he has to buy my spells for me in Neriak since they won't talk to me). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

For those interested we've scheduled to play together on Tuesday, Thursday, and (hopefully) Saturday evenings (PST). However, chances are you'll find me on my Bard sporadically throughout the week when I'm not busy.

Feel free to ping me on the official Discord (@Barb) if you'd like character names (I don't know why, but I feel weird posting them here at the moment).

My hope is that we are both able to grow strong enough to become contributing members to our shared world.

May we cross paths and go on many excellent adventures together [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello and welcome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I'm new here too lol
Old 01-11-2021, 09:01 AM
Banned

Level to 13 in EC area then head to Oasis of Marr for the teens till 20. Then, Guk, Unrest. Mistmoore Castle, and Kurn's Tower all becomes exp options into the 30s.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:06 PM
Sarnak

Welcome to the fray!
Yeah, I’d say head into EC, and farm some orcs, maybe head to befallen when you get a few more levels under your belt. Also, the city of Freeport should be safe for when you need to train and buy spells.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:12 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Try the SE part of Nektulos, there are some low level undead that spawn there, and the zone out to EC is very close. Or go to Befallen and kill stuff on the first level, great exp there and some armor for your chanter, or sell for $. Befallen is great.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:18 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I might have missed it, which server did you say you’re playing on?
Thanks Stonewalkx! We hit level 8 and plan to check out EC during our next play session. I'm on the Green server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
good luck out there and welcome to Norrath =)
Thank you Tunabros! I've met some awesome people so far, this community has been incredibly welcoming and friendly <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vusomugu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello and welcome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I'm new here too lol
Thank you for the welcome vusomugu, I'm glad there are other new people too. What are you playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesocyclone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Level to 13 in EC area then head to Oasis of Marr for the teens till 20. Then, Guk, Unrest. Mistmoore Castle, and Kurn's Tower all becomes exp options into the 30s.
Thank you for this breakdown, I've been putting together a list of items to keep an eye out for and areas to level. I'll add this route in [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodyLich666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome to the fray! .
It's comforting to hear we're on the right path. Thank you for the welcome and suggestion DoodyLich666 :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquisxxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Befallen is great.
We actually ended up leveling to 8 just where you mentioned! (and pulling that mummy that sometimes shows up to the guards). We've been really scared of entering a dungeon just yet, but we might check it out once we have enough XP to not lose a level if we die. Thank you for the advice.

Ya'll are amazing, thank you for the meaningful responses and warm welcome <3
Closed Thread