Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 05:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All good man, I was a noob when I came back to EQ 11 months ago here on P99. X)

LoH = Lay on Hands, a paladin ability which restores a large amount of health, in the case of those pally guards - ~50% give or take a few.

Sesseridrix's guide is incredible and worth reading!
I thought it might have had a different meaning, but rereading your post I understand what you meant now.

I've read a lot on the wiki but I dont remember the bit you said about LoH. That's a very useful thing to remember.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Kobold

Is there an up to date gear check list for necros? On the wiki for velious group it's almost completely blank
Old 08-25-2019, 06:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there an up to date gear check list for necros? On the wiki for velious group it's almost completely blank
Honestly not very important, you can probably refer to the wiz/mag sections and focus on HP items more than mana items. You can also take a look at my sig if you want an idea of what the Skyshrine stuff is like (Rotting).

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 08-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly not very important, you can probably refer to the wiz/mag sections and focus on HP items more than mana items. You can also take a look at my sig if you want an idea of what the Skyshrine stuff is like (Rotting).
Your necro looks pretty decked out. You even have your epic wtf Couple questions if you dont mind.

Epic is on my p99 bucket list. How horrible is the necro epic?

I've read through the necro guides. Is iksar regen really that much of a difference? Dark elf is usually my default race but if iksar really is that big of a difference I can be a lizard.

Edit: I noticed you opted for Strength of the elements over coldain shawl. I'm guessing the hp and lich out weigh flowing thought and mana. Really dumb question but are you raid geared?

Edit 2: yes it appears you are lol
Last edited by brokenpromise; 08-25-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Old 08-25-2019, 07:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your necro looks pretty decked out. You even have your epic wtf Couple questions if you dont mind.

Epic is on my p99 bucket list. How horrible is the necro epic?

I've read through the necro guides. Is iksar regen really that much of a difference? Dark elf is usually my default race but if iksar really is that big of a difference I can be a lizard.

Edit: I noticed you opted for Strength of the elements over coldain shawl. I'm guessing the hp and lich out weigh flowing thought and mana. Really dumb question but are you raid geared?

Edit 2: yes it appears you are lol
You get +18 HP a tick at level 60 sitting, +12 standing as Iksar.
As a Dark Elf: +7 sitting, +4 standing. With Lich, this makes a big difference to efficiency/effort.

Correct on Coldain Shawl, plus I haven't gotten very far in the questline. X)

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 08-25-2019, 07:54 PM
Planar Protector

Necros can charm undead / split camps / regen mana / interrupt spells / Mez CC / have super mana efficient dots.

Magician does not, on a single mob with no undead to charm a mage would probably fare on equal footing but not aware of many situations like this. However multiple Mages stack incredibly well.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:38 AM
Fire Giant

Have not leveled a mage yet but have done shaman, enc and nec from 1-60 more or less solo.

The enchanter was probably a bit faster but the necro was - by far - the most enjoyable. The quality of life you get from the array of necromancer utilities is amazing.

93% rez,
evac
FD
DA
Incredibly effecient mana regen and dmg over time
Heals
Unlimited instant invis

The list goes on.

In terms of what you can farm later I think the necro will have an easier time than a mage soloing semi-profitable stuff. For the truly end-game money camps that are soloable you'd need to be chanter or shaman for most of them.

For instance you can solo 4-ways in Kael Drakkal as a necro. The lieutenants can drop thurgadin armor (robe mq is still, what, 30-40k?). It's very easy as a 60 necro. Even can be done pre-60. I've seen an epic mage do it once and it was hard going. With epic.
Last edited by commongood; 08-28-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Old 08-29-2019, 03:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
When you say there are way more things necro can solo, is that because the mob would just tear through the mage pet too fast to reasonably be kept up with? Is that the only reason, or is there other factors?

Bear with me, for I am noob
Basically, if you're unsure about going mage or necro, go necro.

Necro is simply immensely more powerful (I played both to 60).

Mage is a simpler class to play at lower levels because you get a beefier pet and can just send him in and wait for him to kill a mob. This quickly stops working as you level up, and the mobs' strength scales faster than your pets'.

As the mobs start winning, you'll realize that you have very few tools to help you to continue to win the fights.

The worst thing is that the best (by far) mage pet is their epic quest reward, which is absurdly difficult to obtain, pretty much impossible if you're a casual player.

The necro, on the other hand, gets a million tools that allow him to help his pet, or even kill without a pet, or charm really strong pets. At the highest levels, many necros don't summon pets often at all, because they don't need it. They are strong enough without them, and can charm to become even stronger.

Necro's power doesn't depend on a huge bottleneck such as an epic quest. Their epic quest is reasonably challenging but doable and a necro can do without it just as fine.

So yeah, go necro, thank me later. If you want most efficiency, go iksar (you'll regen mana faster). If you want to be a little more unique (most necros are iksar), pick another race. For extra uniqueness points, go human (worst necro race).
Old 08-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Banned

There isn't even a comparison.

Necro superior by far. Mages are so one dimensional I don't know how anyone plays them.

Also, the "real" necro epic is the VP staff. Get your VP key and a guild that kills those dragons. https://wiki.project1999.com/Soul_Well
Old 08-29-2019, 11:33 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There isn't even a comparison.

Necro superior by far. Mages are so one dimensional I don't know how anyone plays them.

Also, the "real" necro epic is the VP staff. Get your VP key and a guild that kills those dragons. https://wiki.project1999.com/Soul_Well
Can you provide examples where VP staff is better than epic? I've seen numerous people claim VP staff is real epic and I find it just plain incorrect in practice. At 60 with both items I've found epic infinitely more useful in anything remotely challenging (Chardok, PoM, Kael, HS, etc). Basically anything that requires some level of tanking and/or shadowbonding a group member or pet. Vexing already has a -100 mod so it lands on almost anything and does significantly more dmg/healing due to the splurt like nature of VP staff.

Necro snares are resisted much more often and I find epic much nicer for a free snare/dot that can be cast X number of times if resisted, and does respectable dmg. Also VP staff blows for healing when using demi-lich. For anything root rotting/fear kiting I still find epic superior, Though neither item is necessary for that.