Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatras [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not classic!!!! bye
Nerfing exploits is a big part of the classic experience.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Planar Protector

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Changes regarding AE Spells
Recently the staff had internal discussions related to the effectiveness of various AE methods being used by players, specifically that the number of mobs being killed at once far exceeded what was possible back in the day of classic Everquest. When determining what prevented this from being possible during Classic, we found that it was not necessarily mechanical, but more technological reasons that limited it. For example, having 100 mobs in one tiny area would not have happened back then for several reasons such as PC Processing power (CPU/Video constraints), networking bandwidth requriements (56k lol), and quite possibly server limitations at the time as well.
While I fully support the killing of Chardok AOE groups and appreciate the immense amounts of hard work that has been into making this server successful, why would you decide to be dishonest about your reasoning and completely change one of the biggest raid encounters in the game to do so?

In 2001 I worked for an ISP and had access to a T1 whenever I wanted, and 128K ISDN lines were cheap and readily available in the city where I lived. EQ doesn't use enough data to even saturate a 128k ISDN line, even when AOEing. Either option was better than playing EQ than my current rural wireless ISP with ping times of 100+ in 2016. By 2001 we were up to 1.7GHz Pentium 4s and Nvidia GForce3 video cards... which were more than capable of AoEing zones like Chardok, Seb, Fear, etc. In fact me and friends often did just that. I'm willing to bet you could still do an AOE groups (before this nerf anyways) on p99 with a P4 1.7Ghz and a GForce3 video card with the graphics turned down and logs turned off, no problem!

Both in 2001 on Live and on p99 In we had no problems AOEing fear for CT in 1 or 2 pulls at most, now that will require a minimum of 8 AOE pulls making it take much longer and adding significantly to the lag in the zone and server stress as guilds have much more time to mobilize lots more people for CT now.

♦♦ Nikkanu (60 Dark Elf Cleric) ♦♦
♦♦ Psychoactive (60 Ogre Shaman) ♦♦
♦♦ Recycling (60 Iksar Necromancer) ♦♦
♦♦ Silentblade (60 Dwarf Rogue) ♦♦
♦♦ Yourack (60 Human Monk) ♦♦
♦♦ Bargains (EC Mule) ♦♦
Last edited by Nikkanu; 09-05-2016 at 08:58 AM..
Old 09-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah my guild was definitely AE pulling fear for CT during Velious. We pulled the entire zone at once. This change is not classic at all. The justification makes no sense. Yes, my framer ate would drop into the teens and my PC would beg for mercy, but it worked and it happened on live.

Guessing this is another one of those super classic changes that will never be reverted despite the mountains of evidence that will come up.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

Grind is classic. Hooray for the non-karnor evacs
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

In classic, most players actually AE'd in Sebilis.

I look forward to AE Groups popping up in Sebilis, pulling 25 mobs a pop won't be too bad, only need 1-2 enchanters for that too.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Kobold

Talking about 56k, minimal pc/server specs etc... lot of speculations there. This is a poor excuse to justify your move.
You seem to not like the smart players who play the game the way you don't know/like it. Like 3 years ago when the lame GM you banned who was spying me in HS and thought I was cheating because I was able to solo pull many rooms (lol...)

Nerfing AoE, why not. But consider that a lot of ppl became rich & powerfull by using it. This is an important change and to be fair, you should wipe the servers.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfftuneRZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im loving all the tears. Good job devs!! Sucks all you blue server nerds will have to actually level up legit now.
People still play on red? Must be fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faywind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People still play on red? Must be fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Project 1999 PvP
Players: 32

32 players have fun.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquelin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not by the looks of it? It should only increase the amount of time it takes to down a kite. Chardok AE, on the other hand, should take a significant blow from this, since it affects the stuns as well.
Agreed. This will only affect the speed at which a bard can kill, not the size of their swarms. Other groups such as Chardok will have a larger impact.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Fire Giant

Still seeking knight 2h change/buff/update

and plz fix lifetaps/HT - I don't think 45+ players are standing by to ivyanderhoop trak down instantly anymore >_<

Xadion Von'Darkborn - Shadow Knight
Cory Von'Darkborn - Ranger
Brezner Von'Darkborn - Bard
Watermelons Siliconmelons - Corpse/Shaman

Closed Thread