Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkotron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
a new red server wont be popular

there is no way to make eq pvp be anything but a grief fest
Yes, there is.

EQ itself had 4 different rulesets. And now Live EQ has a totally different PvP system. Then P99 made its own, totally unique PvP ruleset.

World of Warcraft also evolved out of some elements of EQ's PvP. Mostly Sullon Zek. (A teams PvP server based on faction.)

It can work, it's just that some of the server ideas were very bad, and Red seemed to pick and choose the worst elements.

I've written extensively on this subject all over this forum, so I'll just give a brief summation here:

#1 --- 3 Factions, tied to race/religion. Good, evil, neutral. Balance the cities/starting zones/etc. I can link a more in depth explanation of exactly how to balance them if needed. You can't interact with, trade, heal, etc anyone of the opposing faction. You can't even speak to them. (WAY less toxic this way!) Unique chat channels, obviously.

#2 --- FFA PvP in raid zones, and hotly contested high end zones. A player should be able to level to cap, and play the game completely without ever entering a FFA PvP zone. If they enter a raid zone, or something like OOT, it's FFA. Why? Because of griefers and spies.

#3 --- No level restriction on PvP. Same as Sullon Zek and Classic WoW. If you are red, you are dead. The only "Safe zones" should be the starting zones.

#4 --- Player Spell Resistance totally rebalanced. PvP doesn't work well when 95% of spells are resisted. This gives an extreme advantage to players with resist-passing spells, and certain melee classes.

#5 --- Time to kill needs to be decreased. PvP needs to be intense and fast paced, not "swing at each other for 18 minutes until someone drops to 10% and then runs to a zoneline".

#6 --- completely break the idea of zone logging. You should not be able to escape pvp by hitting a zoneline and logging off. This is idiotic and should have been addressed 20 years ago.

#7 ---- No GM intervention. Settle EVERYTHING with PvP. Everything goes. Training, mob stealing, etc.

#8 --- No item or coin loot. Losing stuff discourages people from engaging, more than it encourages people to hunt others. There is a psychological effect that explains this, but basically "Losing hurts twice as bad as winning feels good." You want the PvP to be fast, fun, with little negative impact other than a corpse run.

#9 --- Disable every element of /who , even for your own faction. (Will be completely abused, just like it is on Red) Even /anon doesn't help, because people can infer from your online numbers or your history where you are and what you might be doing. Get rid of it for any PvP server.
Last edited by Dulu; 10-27-2019 at 10:03 PM..
Old 10-27-2019, 09:58 PM
Planar Protector

Hard to swallow pills: A new red server will fail because the red community will make it fail.

Good luck pink grapefruit but after today I'm a hard pass on red99
Old 10-27-2019, 11:06 PM
Planar Protector

i hope it's so successful no one ever asks me to try red again
Old 10-27-2019, 11:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i hope it's so successful no one ever asks me to try red again
^
Old 10-28-2019, 12:56 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Green is out, which means it's time to get hyped for Rogean's true passion project: EQ pvp <333

It's time to roll all our red characters into blue and start the green experience with PVP ENABLED imo! Blue servers get old and bad after x many years, but this problem is so much worse on a pvp server. Server MUST reset every ~3ish years.

And I still say the absolute best thing for Project99 on the whole would be to merge blue into red and simply turn green pvp, but it doesn't seem like they're gonna go for this. Next best thing? Teams server. Bluebies love the teams idea; just ask them! And we really need lots of bluebies to sustain a healthy server population.

So what are your hopes for red 2.0??
Such a pathetic loser constantly making these threads. Nobody likes red and this will never happen. Very sad you cant let go. Hopefully they premaban you next.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:57 AM
Planar Protector

My hope for red 2.0 IS red 2.0
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:04 AM
Banned

Ah yes, I can’t wait for another PVP server to be ruined with over enforcement by “muhhhhh server rules!!!” types

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-28-2019, 08:41 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondrake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Such a pathetic loser constantly making these threads. Nobody likes red and this will never happen. Very sad you cant let go. Hopefully they premaban you next.

This. So much this. This cannot be upvoted enough. A truer statement has never been made.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

--Oscar Wilde
Old 10-28-2019, 09:12 AM
Planar Protector

Spoken like a guy who was not around at launch.

We all get that most of you guys were bluebird and want to talk smack in EQ and never have to back it up. Some of us would rather slay and be slain. Some of us came from other MMOs or role playing back grounds where non PVP just doesn't make sense in a game as sandbox as this.

I started rallos zek one day when the blue server my friend told me to start on was down. I made a caster for the first time just to mix it up and had my robe jacked before I killed my first yellow jacket.

All I could think was "woah..this is intense, I gotta make sure I'm not killed like that again." I noticed how the guy who killed me waited till I was really low health just about to kill the yellow jacket before he attacked. Smart.

The biggest thing is that i realized there was a lot more to the world than just yellow jackets. The people weren't just there to make killing monsters easier. I played for an hour or two before my server was up again and didn't come back to it for some time.

I was chilling in EC and some guy offered me like 2kpp on rallos for 300pp on e Marr.

I had never heard of cross server trading but it sounded like a bargain and I had little to lose so I did it. The guy gave me some pointers and thats when I got my first bit of friendly advice and really got moving on the best gaming experience I ever had.

Again we all know it isn't for everyone, but just like people who know eq think all other mmos are is panzy trash, people who lived red have a hard time going back to the safe life where everyone is a big assertive asshole in /tell and the entire server population is stuck with them running rampant with no recourse.

Despite killing each other people are actually nicer on red. Working together is even more important pvp enhances the gear selection process. It enhanced the friend selection process. It enhances the character building process. It enhances the way you must know and appreciate your class.

You don't have to like it but you will find that just about everyone who played ralllos tallon zallon and sullon for any reason would all prefer to be on a pvp server again and that's not just because it makes them feel like real men. We like easy pixels too, but we have a hard time caring about them when it's just for pride. The game itself is easy to beat with a few handfuls of players. Players are hard to beat. On blue I can run around with great success without bothering to use any useless buffs or clickies. On red I use a handful of obscure clicky items and every single buff I have access to as a cleric and I hit the streets absolutely stacked with everything I can to keep myself alive and any potential threat at bay.

I have to use my brain and strategize. I can't afk camp cyclopses all day every day from work.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 10-28-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Old 10-28-2019, 09:14 AM
Kobold

If Red 2.0 was a Teams (aligned via Evil, Good, Neutral race factions) PvP server, it would be glorious. I avoided Red in its current toxic incarnation, and mostly play on Blue, and I would definitely switch over to play a Teams Red 2.0.

Having a team of different races that have your back is much better way of curbing the toxicity, with camaraderie.
Closed Thread