Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

What seems bugged, is that if you are really encumbred, can't move normally (straff and foward keys do nothing) then get a movement buff (jboot) you will be able to crawl forward but straff will be much faster than it should..
Old 10-31-2019, 01:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What seems bugged, is that if you are really encumbred, can't move normally (straff and foward keys do nothing) then get a movement buff (jboot) you will be able to crawl forward but straff will be much faster than it should..
Yeah this is also a thing.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanMauzer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This was always in the game.

No offense, but if you don't like strafe run, then don't strafe run. I'm not sure how it affects you one iota if others do it.
It affects people negatively in certain scenarios. Picture a group pulling from the same area as another group. (Orc highway, for example)

Puller from group 1 uses strafe run, and bails to zone line if they pull too crazy, or just uses strafe run to run in circles if things go bad. Puller from group 1 affectively has the benefit of no consequences whatsoever if they make a mistake.

Puller from group 2 doesn’t do this(as they are ignorant of strafe run or are a diehard anti-exploit enthusiast), dies on the pull before even making it back to group.

Group 1 gets free reign & more mobs than group 2.

There’s less incentive for use of ranged weapons, close quartered areas become trivial to pull, etc.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Depends on the mob. Mobs run at different speeds. Some mobs you can shake, others you can't. Try strafe-run kiting Lockjaw, for example.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Strafe-running requires your attention and is one of those skill/effort elements I truly enjoy.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Strafe-running requires your attention and is one of those skill/effort elements I truly enjoy.
This is true. If you’re ever in a situation where you have to use it you can’t really do any other actions.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah. Real pros can seamlessly strafe run and also jump.

Definitely 100% classic and never going to change. Weird discussion. Maybe this guy wants to sell sow pots to people that don't want to deal with 100% chance of death if mob looks out of hand.

Also damn those raptors are fast and skerry.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razdeline [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It affects people negatively in certain scenarios. Picture a group pulling from the same area as another group. (Orc highway, for example)

Puller from group 1 uses strafe run, and bails to zone line if they pull too crazy, or just uses strafe run to run in circles if things go bad. Puller from group 1 affectively has the benefit of no consequences whatsoever if they make a mistake.

Puller from group 2 doesn’t do this(as they are ignorant of strafe run or are a diehard anti-exploit enthusiast), dies on the pull before even making it back to group.

Group 1 gets free reign & more mobs than group 2.

There’s less incentive for use of ranged weapons, close quartered areas become trivial to pull, etc.
Again, I don't see what the problem is. If its a benefit, use it. If you don't think its advantageous to do so, then don't.

What you shouldn't be trying to do is to handicap others down to the level of your personal preferences. That's not cool. As strafe running IS classic, and if it is advantageous as you claim, then its sounds like the solution is for puller #2 to get with the program. This person's lack of understanding of the mechanics of the game isn't group #1's problem or anyone else's.

Also your scenario 1 is a tad skewed. I've definitely died to mobs while strafe running. It's hardly foolproof.

As for ranged weapons, there's pretty much never been an incentive to use those on here as they simply aren't effective or practical beyond pulling. Given we will never have AA's here, they never will be. So again, this has nothing to do with strafe running.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanMauzer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, I don't see what the problem is. If its a benefit, use it. If you don't think its advantageous to do so, then don't.

What you shouldn't be trying to do is to handicap others down to the level of your personal preferences. That's not cool. As strafe running IS classic, and if it is advantageous as you claim, then its sounds like the solution is for puller #2 to get with the program. This person's lack of understanding of the mechanics of the game isn't group #1's problem or anyone else's.

Also your scenario 1 is a tad skewed. I've definitely died to mobs while strafe running. It's hardly foolproof.

As for ranged weapons, there's pretty much never been an incentive to use those on here as they simply aren't effective or practical beyond pulling. Given we will never have AA's here, they never will be. So again, this has nothing to do with strafe running.
I still think there would be more incentive to use ranged weapons if there was more motivation to keep distance from mobs. As it stands, you can create a gap with the majority of mobs in game using this mechanic pretty easily during pulls. Especially useful indoors where you can’t get sow.

In the scope of an immersive online world, how does this mechanic make sense? Was it initially intended?

I don’t think my scenario is flawed one bit. Yeah you can screw up strafe running and die, but if you compare group 1 & 2 over a course of time the people strafe running will inherently have a less risky experience. It’s also, in my opinion, incredibly easy to do.

I didn’t think being denied the use of an exploit was considered a handicap either. I don’t really feel like this is solely a personal preference. If anything it’s fun to imagine what the game would be like without it and it’s cool to see different people’s take.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah. Real pros can seamlessly strafe run and also jump.

Definitely 100% classic and never going to change. Weird discussion. Maybe this guy wants to sell sow pots to people that don't want to deal with 100% chance of death if mob looks out of hand.

Also damn those raptors are fast and skerry.
I usually only play melee classes and tanks so i’d be on the short end of the stick if anything were to change. I care mostly about the immersiveness/verisimilitude of things and classic eq is one of the last mmos that does it well.
Last edited by Razdeline; 10-31-2019 at 04:19 PM..
Closed Thread