Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Running Project 1999 - Wine and Linux - Your spells file is outdated (ERRORCODE SP-1)

Hey there, I kept having to jump through hoops to get Project 1999 running on Xubuntu. Just thought I'd share the solution to the last hoop I had. The reason this error with the spell files was popping up was because when you extract the files from the p99 folder that you find on the "Getting Started" link (currently it is "Project 1999 Files (V47)"), the DSETUP.dll file doesn't get overwritten because Linux is case sensitive. In Windows, "DSETUP.dll" and "dsetup.dll" would be the same file because Windows isn't case sensitive in that way, but in Linux they are separate files. So if you go into the EverQuest folder and delete the old "DSETUP.dll" file (with capitals), that error will no longer be there! Plus you don't have to fix the capitals on the new file, you can leave it lower case. Took me a while googling the same thing over and over before I finally stumbled upon Ashintar's solution, which I found on this post.

As you can see, both files are in the same folder cuz they can exist in the same folder with different capitals letters in the file. I dunno what other files might have duplicates in there...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The other hoops I had to jump through was mounting the iso in Xubuntu. I installed Acetone ISO with
Code:
sudo apt install acetoneiso
. And then I right clicked the iso files and opened them with Acetone ISO. This would mount them. I am not savvy at all with the terminal/command line, so I always prefer a GUI method.

And then another hoop was getting the server list to show up. To compile the fix from GitHUb you need the make command. To be able to run the make command, I had to install cmake with
Code:
sudo apt install cmake
. I first tried install only "make", but I still couldn't run the make command, so finally after a while of mediocre googling skills, I found that I needed cmake installed instead of make (at least I don't think you need both of them). Then I used the solution found here. You go to the GitHub page and press the green "Clone or download ZIP" button, then "Download ZIP" on the dropdown. Then you follow the instructions in on the post. I extracted the "p99-login-middlemand-master.zip" file that downloaded it to my "Downloads" folder by simply right-clicking it and selecting "Extract Here" instead of using the command
Code:
unzip p99-login-middlemand.zip
in the directions (which would need to be altered to "unzip p99-login-middlemand-master.zip" now... not sure what happened to the "master" in the directions. I guess it's changed. It's no longer p99-login-middlemand. It's p99-login-middlemand-master). Then use your console to get into the newly extracted folder by using the "cd" command, and run
Code:
make -f Makefile
. Then you gotta edit text in a file in your EverQuest folder. I used "nano". But you could just use a regular ol' text editor I bet. You go to /home/user/.wine/drive_c/games/EverQuest. This depends where you have your EverQuest folder saved. That's where mine is. Also, you can't see folders that begin with a period if you don't have see hidden files enabled. On Xubuntu's default file manager, you can toggle hidden files by pressing ctrl+h.) and edit the file as they say in the directions. You change
Code:
[LoginServer]
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5998
into
Code:
[LoginServer]
Host=localhost:5998
. Then you can run the bin program to see the Project 1999 servers when you log in. I'm able to run it by typing this into a console:
Code:
/home/user/bin/p99-login-middlemand-master/bin/p99-login-middlemand
. Replace "user" with your username. You'll have to leave the console going while you play EverQuest.

Anyway, this all probably seems ridiculous to people who are versed in computers, but I figured I'd post a layman's struggle to get EverQuest Project 1999 running on Wine. One last thing, I currently have wine-staging installed. I used this page to get it installed. I am running 18.04 Xubuntu, so you have to install "libfaudio0_19.07-0~bionic_amd64.deb" and "libfaudio0_19.07-0~bionic_i386.deb". I went to link the gave and then navigated to the "amd64/" folder to get libfaudio0_19.07-0~bionic_amd64.deb and went to the " i386/' folder to get libfaudio0_19.07-0~bionic_i386.deb. I installed those by double clicking them in the Downloads folder on Xubuntu. Then I followed the directions on the page I linked before, and when it came time to choose which wine to finally install after doing the preliminary steps, I installed the staging branch with
Code:
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging
. I used that one because I needed the staging version instead of the stable version to run Diablo II on Battle.net. So the stable version probably works for Project 1999.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this in case someone gets stuck and is searching for an answer like I was.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 AM
Sarnak

I'll jump in too, installing on Ubuntu 19.04

System Wine (as in, the one in the package repos / software center) is fine.

I found a program called Furius ISO Mounter or something similar - was in the repos. It allowed me to mount all 5 discs at once as directories. I changed my wine options (`winecfg` to mount them all as drives) and simply pointed the install program at the next letter when it asked. After install I cleared that out and unmounted the ISOs. Done. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I spent a good couple of hours on that stupid dsetup.dll / DSetup.DLL problem. Just delete the older file - WINE will happily translate case-insensitive file loads for you, so you don't have to fix the casing.

After that I had no issues getting the server list, and didn't have to do any 'fixes' beyond the P99 file list.

My only issue was taskset, I had to assign it to both halves of a hyperthreading-enabled CPU.