Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 07:46 PM
Skeleton

Default Loooooong zone times and disconect 80% of the time

Just started the issue this morning of 5 minute zoning and 80% of the time get disconect whilst zoning. Did re instal, I have nuthing running in back ground, not sure why or what to do now. Completely unplayable at this rate. Any others have similar issues as of today? Any advice on what to do next?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:02 AM
Aviak

Same thing is happening to me from time to time. It started about 2 weeks ago.
One day i couldn't log in for hours, next day everything was fine again.
This week i went LD 2 times while zoning, but could log back in after some tries.

My guess are WAN-Problems, probably in my area.
If the problem would be at/near P99-Serversite, everyone would have those problems, but Technical Discussion has been really quiet on that.

PS:
Now that i think a bit more about it:
When you zone for a long time, and you kill the game with Windows Task-Manager, you will have to wait even more for your char to get kicked off.
Meaning the server sees you as online after zoning, but your client doesn't finish loading. It might be client related after all?
Old 06-18-2019, 11:14 AM
Skeleton

Tried again this morning....
Can log in, select toon, aaaaannnnnd.... get DISCONNECTED FROM SERVER. And booted all they to log in screen in which I can no longer even try to connect. No idea whats goin on. Thinking Ill pass on playing for a few days and enjoy the sunshine. Tho gotta get a giant bottle of sunblock. Dont wana fry my pale butt =P
Old 07-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Orc

I have "rural" DSL and have had issues very recently. It was for me line quality. I've had them out to fix my stuff several times in the past month. I think EQ is uniquely sensitive to packet loss unlike anything else we do online nowadays. If it takes a long time to zone, it is easiest for me to hit windows key and sign out of my computer then sign back in and relaunch. Signing out kills all task the user started and it is just a couple of clicks to do this.

I suspect you have some trouble with your internet.

I've called my DSL provider out several times and they finally have my line cleaned up and the last game patch addressed zone times. I zone in 5-10 seconds now?

If you don't know how to log in to your cable/dsl/fiber modem to see what's going on inside it, now may be the time to open some manuals and read (or internet searches).. :-P There maybe a sticker on the side too of it too with info on how to log into it...

Also maybe call your ISP and tell them that you suspect you're having line quality issues. They're know for sure in an instant.

Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2019, 09:33 AM
Aviak

The problem still exists for me.

The odd thing is, it manifests in different ways:

- Server list is empty; solution is to go back to login and enter the PW until the serverlist shows

- Servers show, but crashing back to serverlist immediately after loading to charselect (no error message)

- Servers show, but an "unknown error" is shown when trying to load to charselect

- Loading into the game after selecting a char takes very long (sometimes several minutes) or never finishes; most of the time i zone reasonably fast

- Zoning sometimes takes very long or never finishes to load.

Especially on the last symptom i questioned guildies and DaP folks (since they zone alot and have people in group zoning with them) and many confirm having problems zoning lately.

I sometimes set up a ping -t www.project1999.com when it's really bad, and yes there are the occasional packet losses.
As Meulaar said, EQ is particularly sensitive to that and my guess is, if it happens at the wrong time (zoning, loading into the game, loading serverlist), the game crashes.
On the other hand, the problem didn't exist like 5 weeks ago. So something must have changed.

On the ISP-topic: i live in 2 homes, one in a city and one rural, 100km apart. So the problem would have to be regionwide, maybe even statewide. It's 2 seperate PCs, so i would say the odds that both EQ-Installtions go corrupt at the same time are rather low.
Guildies who confirmed having problems came from different countries all over Europa, but i can't say if the DaP people where all Euros or some American, too.
There could also be routing problems/latency over the Atlantic hubs?

Finally, someone on the forums (i think it was Loramin?) said, that P99-Staff are working on the EQ Network settings.

I hope someone with more knowledge can make use of all this.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Aviak

I forgot one more error:

- Sometimes (i think only when an error occured at serverselect) at charselect, it says my spellfiles are out of date. After closing the game and reloading it, everything is fine again.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

I was having all these issues last week but my ISP was having known issues. It started clearing up later in the week and has been pretty much back to normal now. Also a rural broadband provider in my case. Not sure what the specific issue was but didn't have my lines checked or worked on.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Get a VPN.

If it doesn't work, try a different one [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Lots of people have fixed similar issues just by using a VPN (including myself, although I'm on Linux so I'm not a normal case).

Now, if it works, you can decide whether you want to keep using it (they're only like $5-$10/month, and they protect you if you download bit torrents), or whether you want to yell at your ISP (now that you have "proof" that they suck at routing) or switch to a different one.

But at least if you try a VPN (most even have one month free trials) you can confirm that the issue is a network-related one.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:45 PM
Kobold

I'm having the exact same issues. I'm using a hotel internet (away for work). Speed test shows a 40mbps U/DL, and low ping.

I crash at every zone in and many logins. Sometimes I get rh spellfile is out of date. Quit and relog and it's fine. I've never had a single issue with p99 so my guess is that it's the hotel ISP for some reason, and will find out when I get home.

What happens when you crash? I crashed in the Hole entrance and was nervous I'd end up drowning...
Old 07-17-2019, 04:10 AM
Planar Protector

Load EQ onto RAM and enjoy those sweet sweet FTEs. (semi-troll, semi-serious)