Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

Exclamation Technical Discussion FAQ - Read before posting

Hey folks, I've been noticing that a lot of people have been having the same problems on here, and I thought I'd write up a quick FAQ so that people can solve the issues on their own, or so that I can simply point them to this thread instead of posting the same thing over and over again (like i've been doing). Here goes!

Now on to the FAQ.

First off, before posting, please make sure you've done a couple things prior to asking your question:

Updated *ALL* of your computers drivers. Often times, there is some weird stupid driver thats preventing you from connecting - like your motherboard.

Tried running Everquest using eqgame.exe. In order to do this, find eqgame.exe in your everquest folder, right click on it and hit "send to desktop(create shortcut)"

Once you've made the shortcut, right click on it and select properties. In the Target line, make sure it looks like this:
"C:\your eq folder extension\eqgame.exe" patchme

The patchme part is required, or you won't be able to run the game using this file.

After doing this, make sure you're running it in compatibility mode (probably window xp sp2) and that it's being run as an administrator. This will solve a lot of problems before they crop up.

Lastly, please be sure your eqhost.txt file (located in your everquest folder) has the following in it (and ONLY this, you can edit it using notepad):

[LoginServer]
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5998

Save and close. That's it! This will allow you to connect to the correct login server (instead of Sony's) and see all the EQEmu servers!

Ok, on to the FAQ! This will be as short as possible, as it is only answering a few basic questions.

Contents: Press ctrl+f and type the corresponding code (ie: 1. or 2.) to skip right to your problem.

1. Help! When I try to run eq, at some point before entering the game, I get an error that looks something like this:The instruction at 0x029110ce referenced memory at 0xfffffffc. The memory could not be read

2. I can only run EQ in a window! Fuck this, its ruining my immersion, I want fullscreen!

3. I've used the launcher and duxa's all in one install, but when I log into the server, it tells me i need to update my spells files! Whats up with that?

4. I tried connecting to the server, but it either refuses to connect, or I get error 1017! What do I do?

5. It seems like everytime I zone, I crash! Wtf?!

6. I am unable to use the EQEmu launcher to connect to P99! Either the server list isn't showing, or the launcher isn't working for some other reason

7. Where can I obtain the spell files for P99 without using a launcher/all-in-one installer?

8. EQ is running poorly, I have too much lag to play. It's not my connection, it's my PC, how can I fix this?

9a. Whenever I try to enter the server/gameworld, I get Error 1018 saying that I have a character currently connected. Wtf?

10. "An unknown error occurred while trying to join the server" I get this error, what do i do?

11. I frequently crash while zoning, completely randomly and without warning, is there any way to fix this?

12. I am unable to zone into, or when I do zone in am unable to see Nektulos Forest, Lavastorm Mountains, or the Arena!

13. How can I use the new Luclin models instead of the old classic models?

14. When starting the game, before I reach the EULA, my game crashes.

15. My problem isn't listed here! You're an idiot! Now what?!

1. Help! When I try to run eq, at some point before entering the game, I get an error that looks something like this:
The instruction at 0x029110ce referenced memory at 0xfffffffc. The memory could not be read

This solution to this is actually very simple. Go to your EQ folder. Find the file eqclient.ini and open it in a text editor (i use notepad, its the simplest to use)

hit ctrl+f, type windowedwidth, you should see something like this:

WindowedWidth=1280
WindowedHeight=768
Width=1280
Height=768
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1280
HeightWindowed=768

change it to this:

WindowedWidth=800
WindowedHeight=600
Width=800
Height=600
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=800
HeightWindowed=600

I'm using 800 x 600 here, but you may need to fiddle with that a bit. If 800 x 600 isnt working, try using your monitors native resolution instead. Eventually, you will get a combination that works, just keep trying.

2. I can only run EQ in a window! Fuck this, its ruining my immersion, I want fullscreen!

See the above fix for #1. You may need to fiddle with the resolutions a bit to get it to work. If all else fails, set the windowed width/height to the same as your current desktop settings. You won't have true fullscreen, but it will be close.

You can also try hitting alt+enter when in windowed mode to see if that can get you into fullscreen. Lastly, try fiddling with the graphics settings to see if theres a particular display setting that is preventing you from going fullscreen. If all else fails, use the above 'fix'.

I've also been told that having dual monitors can affect your ability to full screen the game.

3. I've used the launcher and duxa's all in one install, but when I log into the server, it tells me i need to update my spells files! Whats up with that?!

First off, please be sure you are using the same EQ directory that the launcher is using (if you have more than one). Second, try running eqgame.exe using the shortcut method described above without running the launcher. If this still isn't working, please make sure you have set the eqemu launcher to run as an administrator. Depending on your settings in windows, it may need this to overwrite the files in your EQ folder. Lastly, if you are still having problems, delete *everything* in your eq folder and reinstall, then setup everquest the way I described above (making a shortcut for eqgame.exe). Update the spells files, then run eqgame.exe shortcut.

4. I tried connecting to the server, but it either refuses to connect, or I get error 1017! What do I do?

This could actually be two separate problems. I'll address error 1017 last.

If unable to connect, please do the standard stuff first. Restart your computer, reset your router/modem, ensure your firewall is either disabled, or allowing eq as an exception, make sure the port eq uses isn't closed on your router (i believe P99 uses something between 6000-7000), and lastly, make sure you have tried everything else in this faq. If you still can't connect, or you start getting an error 1017, unfortunately, there isn't much I can do for you. It seems that there are several different reasons for this happening, and we haven't been able to nail down a specific reason for it. There are a couple things you need to do, however.

Make sure *all* of your drivers are updated, particularly your network card. I know I listed this at the beginning of the FAQ, but I'm repeating it here because sometimes people don't read everything. I know at least one person had a problem with his motherboard not being updated, and once he did this problem was fixed. In particular, be sure your network card has the latest software.

Attempt to log into your character/the server from another PC on the same connection. This will help to isolate whether the problem is with your network, or just a single PC.

Please do not make a /petition to the gm's, particularly for an error 1017. There really isn't much they can do, so don't take up their time.

Also, if you are getting error 1017, do *not* make a thread about it here. What you need to do instead is go to this thread:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...240#post819240

and make a post stating you are getting error 1017, then provide the following information:

Your operating system
Your pcs technical specs:
Processor
motherboard
soundcard
videocard
network adapter
Your ISP (internet service provider)
The model of your router/modem
Any other possible relevant information (running special networking software/any special software, in particular antivirus/firewall programs, or anything that is messing with your network in anyway)

This will help to find a common denominator for people who are getting error 1017/connection issues.

****UPDATE FOR ERROR 1017****
Someone who was experiencing this issue discovered it was a problem with their hardware. Specifically, it was an issue with their motherboard. This may seem strange, but it only further reinforces a couple things:
Make sure EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF HARDWARE has a current driver
More info is needed for people who have error 1017's - ie, need more people hardware specs.

That being said, here is the solution this person found, verbatim:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC888
My Asus M5A97 R2.0 mobo allows me to overclock it with the click of a button through the BIOS. What had happened was I clicked the High Performance button so that it would slightly tweat with the voltages to overclock my CPU by about 300MHz and RAM by about 150MHz. My CPU can be overclocked to a further extend this is just a well known safe setting that Asus has for the clock boost. I never thought it would affect my ability to connect but the issue happened around the same time I did this and it immediately ended after the BIOs settings were returned to default.

If someone could shed light on this then please do tell, but I don't recommended overclocking your CPU even using manufacturer's settings.
I suspect people having error 1017 are having similar issues to this. I very strongly recommend *not* overclocking anything on your computer in order to play EQ. It seems to cause a ton of problems that are very easily fixed by just resetting everything to default. Basically, if you're getting weird errors or otherwise having problems running EQ, please try to turn off any overclocking you currently have turned on. This has fixed problems for more than one person.

Thank you Lyra for emphasizing this for me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Lyra is our resident sexy tech goddess, and you can find her answering your questions at all hours of the day. If she responds to your thread please be polite and follow her instructions. She is wonderful and makes the tech board far more manageable! <3

***End Error 1017 update***

And lastly, please be patient.

5. It seems like everytime I zone, I crash! Wtf?!

Attempt to log into your character/the server from another PC on the same connection, and see if the problem persists. This will help to isolate whether the problem is with your network, or just a single PC.

Please do not make a /petition to the gm's. There really isn't much they can do, so don't take up their time.

Also, if you are having this problem, do *not* make a thread about it here. What you need to do instead is go to this thread:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...t=3604&page=18

and make a post stating you are having this problem, then provide the following information:

Your operating system
Your pcs technical specs:
Processor
motherboard
soundcard
videocard
network adapter
Your ISP (internet service provider)
The model of your router/modem
Any other possible relevant information (running special networking software/any special software, in particular antivirus/firewall programs, or anything that is messing with your network in anyway)
Post about the last 20 lines of your dbg.txt files in your titanium directories after crashes.

This will help to find a common denominator for people who are unable to connect/crashing while zoning.

6. I am unable to use the EQEmu launcher to connect to P99! Either the server list isn't showing, or the launcher isn't working for some other reason

If you followed the above instructions, you should be able to run eqgame.exe without using the launcher, and the server list should show up just fine. Also, when running the eqemu launcher, just right click and you should pull up another menu that allows you to run eqgame.exe without having to select a server from the list. This will allow you to play.

It is my understanding that sometimes the Launcher server goes down, so from time to time you may need to do this. In general, I run eq from eqgame.exe anyway, and skip the launcher completely, but this is a personal choice.
7. Where can I obtain the spell files for P99 without using a launcher/all-in-one installer?

You may find them here: http://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files36.zip

Alternatively, you can always find these files at the top of the most recent patch thread:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Look for Patch Notes: Whatever date here

8. EQ is running poorly, I have too much lag to play. It's not my connection, it's my PC, how can I fix this?

Please see this post:

https://www.project1999.org/forums/s...43&postcount=5

I wish I could just put that info here, but it'd take up way too much space. If you follow all the above instructions, and EQ is still running choppy, there is something else wrong. You may have a virus/malware on your PC that is slowing you down. Consider reformatting or buying a new machine.

9a. Whenever I try to enter the server/gameworld, I get Error 1018 saying that I have a character currently connected. Wtf?

This is a known issue, and unfortunately, there isn't an easy solution. If you're having this problem you have two options:

A) Leave your current EQ install, and also reinstall EQ to a new directory, so that you have two EQ installs. Set up the new install like you would normally, and alternate between the two installs to see if that fixes the problem. This is not guaranteed to work. If it doesn't you can either be patient (this issue does eventually resolve itself, but tends to happen again when you least want it to. If you're having this issue, i *highly* recommend cutting your losses, and moving to solution b before you come to invested in your character)

or

B) Set up a new account. This problem is account specific, and even if the issue is resolved it can happen again. That's why i recommend ditching your account now before you get to level 50 and start having this problem when it really matters. Once you've made a new account, you shouldn't have this problem again.

Sorry, but that's really all we have at this point. If you find a better solution, *please* let me know so I can post it here.
10. "An unknown error occurred while trying to join the server" I get this error, what do i do?

This issue can happen for a number of reasons, usually it can be fixed by simply attempting to log in a few times. However, if you find that you still can't log in,
try changing your eqhost.txt file from:

[LoginServer]
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5998

to

[LoginServer]
Host=leqemulator.net:5998

Credit for this fix goes to sebastionleo. thanks sebastion!
11. I frequently crash while zoning, completely randomly and without warning, is there any way to fix this?

If you find yourself crashing while zoning or logging in constantly, many people have found that this fixes the problem. Also, it seems to make zoning go faster.

Simply go to your options screen and do the following:

EQ Options > Display > Dropdown menu on the top right corner "Loading Screen" change it from "Loading Art" to NONE

Credit goes to DOPE for finding this fix, and it seems to have worked for 90% of the people with this issue. Thanks dope!

12. I am unable to zone into, or when I do zone in am unable to see Nektulos Forest, Lavastorm Mountains, or the Arena!

Within the C:\Everquest directory, delete the following files to allow these updated zones to function properly on P99:
arena.eqg
arena_EnvironmentEmitters.txt
lavastorm.eqg
nektulos.eqg
Nektulos_EnvironmentEmitters.txt

Credit to Falkun for typing this out. He didn't come up with the fix, but still deserves some credit for typing it out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

13. How can I use the new Luclin models instead of the old classic models?

Easy! Just follow the instructions in this post:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...003#post573003

Credit to Rainbow Dash for providing this excellent guide!

14. When starting the game, before I reach the EULA, my game crashes.
This is most likely because you either don't have compatibility turned on and are running vista/7/8 or because there's something wrong with your resolution/windowed settings.

To play in full screen mode, you will need to mess with your desktop/eq resolution, instructions for this can be found above at 1.

To run EQ in compatibility mode, make a shortcut on your desktop by following the instructions at the beginning of this FAQ (Add patchme to the end of the target line), then click compatibility and set it to Windows XP SP2.

Next, go to your Everquest folder and open EQClient.ini find the line that says
WindowedMode=False

and change it to =True

This should allow you to enter the game. If you want to play fullscreen, you'll need to play with your resolution settings as shown in 1.
15. My problem isn't listed here! You're an idiot! Now what?!

First off, please be patient and courteous. Myself and others who visit this board are happy to help, but if you come on here with a shitty attitude I will probably just skip over your thread and not try to help you at all.

That being said, please make a new thread. In the title, be as descriptive as possible about your problem (don't make it too long, however. Ex: HELP ME MY CHARACTER MODELS ARE ALL WHITE AND TORN TO PIECES AND IT MAKES IT HARD TO PLAY AND WHAT DO I DO is far too long. "Character models not displaying properly" is a much better, and more helpful, title).

In your thread, please provide as DETAILED a description as possible as to what your problem is. Also include your computers specs, operating system, and your ISP. If you do anything special to run EQ (ie, you run it in a virtual environment) please include this too. This will greatly expedite your technical question answer process, as 90% of the time I end up asking these questions anyway. It will save us both a lot of time, and my post count won't go up and make me look like I have no life.

The rule of thumb here is more detail is better. Please provide as much information as possible, including what you were doing before the issue started (if applicable), what you've done so far, and whether or not it has worked in the past.

Once your thread is up, please be patient. I promise that myself or someone else will get to it as soon as possible. If you don't get a response within an hour, don't freak out. Most of us have lives, and don't spend all day answering tech questions. Getting mad doesn't help anyone, least of all you.

As a side note, for most problems, you will be told to reinstall EQ. Obviously this doesn't apply for everything, but for many issues, this is the quickest, cleanest solution. Installing EQ doesn't take long, and can save you a lot of grief. If you're having an issue with the game itself, I highly recommend reinstalling before posting a new thread to see if that fixes your issue, because I'll probably tell you to do it anyway (if you've tried everything else on this list, that is). It will save everyone a lot of time, including you, because you won't have to wait for me to tell you to reinstall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'd like to say that most of the time, peoples problems are solved here. Sometimes, there just isn't a fix, and its almost as hard for me to accept that as it is for you. Please remember that if you are unable to play EQ, it is not the people who run the servers fault, nor is it mine. Myself and the devs will do everything we can to get you on the server and playing!

Thank you for taking the time to read this FAQ. If your problem was solved here, excellent. If not, I apologize, and I hope I am able to give a quick solution to your problem once its posted. Good luck, and happy hunting!

-- If you or anyone else would like to add something to this FAQ, please PM me or post in this thread and I will get it added in. Our tech forum is only as good as the people who contribute to it! And right now, we have a lot of good people contributing, and I love that! Keep it up!

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Last edited by Derubael; 12-05-2014 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Cleaned some stuff up. Sorry for editing your thread, gotrocks. PM me if you'd prefer I let you do this.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Aviak

Thank you this is very helpfull
Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Large Bat

Default Please help

I have a laptop with the Memory exception error and a desktop with the windowed only problem. However when I search both systems, I can't find eqclient.ini. Is there another file i should be looking for?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

You're probably only running your search on index'd folders or maybe just (as an example) your 'my documents' folder.

The best thing to do would be to simply find your actual EQ folder, eqclient.ini will be in there.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Aviak

Default My buddy is having connection issues

So here's the situation... EQEmu launcher wasn't working so I showed him how to bypass it. Now he can directly jump in to EQ like I do. (This works fine)

However, when he types in his login and password he gets a message saying, "A connection to the server could not be reached. Please check your internet connection to be sure that you are online. If the problem persists, please check on network status for scheduled downtime. ect ect."

I know that his username and password work, I can log in from my computer. We are not trying to log in from the same IP either, he's in a completely different state.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Aviak

Nevermind guys! Apparently he had both McAfee and Norton installed and they were having a battle royal.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Skeleton

I have a question that I need help for... if you guys could.

When I activate the duxa UI I can't use any chat functions, or consider, or use most of the defined keys.

for example: I want to consider a mob.

Press C: nothing
type /consider: nothing
type /ooc hey does anyone know whats wrong with this duxa thing : nothing
type hello: nothing

I can click buttons and attack and such, but chat does not work. any help?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Very strange. I don't use duxas, so you may want to consider making a new thread about this issue, but my suggestion would be to do some right clicking on your chat windows and see if you can poke around in the options to see if anything is disabled/enabled when it shouldn't be.

For example, make sure that you have a default chat window setup and such. Have you tried restarting eq/your comp? or have you been logged in since this started happening?

Quote:
Old 08-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

I'd start by removing UI file for the affected character (I believe its <charactername>_<servername>_ui.ini). When you log in, your character will recreate this file from scratch and everything about your UI will be default.

Next, attempt to /loadskin duxaui (or whatever desired UI folder). If things malfunction after loading the UI, then I would delete that UI folder and reinstall (move a freshly downloaded/gold copy back into the UI directory). Try again.

Once you have a new UI config file (the *.ini) and a fresh UI, then begin customizing it for yourself. If the problem persists after those, then come back and we can discuss more drastic fixes.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Just wanted to drop by and and confirm for the 1017 error that the over clocked CPU was my issue as well. I tried everything but that(router configurations, different routers, updating all sorts of drivers, bios updates, wineq, turning off all my security software and then some) and the thing that got me up and running was actually underclocking my CPU.( or just being sure that my bios isn't over clocking it)

My board uses the UEFI bios which has some basic settings for performance and some advanced tweaking. If I manually underclocked my board using the quiet setting(in the basic settings) rather than normal, it would work. Both normal and the high performance sections gave me the 1017 error.

I'm sure that I could find some setting by tweaking the advanced settings, but I'm not sure if the settings will be the same across mobo's.... and ...well....laziness...

But I'm up and running and in the game. So if you are getting 1017 and rolled your eyes at the over clocked CPU like I did, double check and save yourself some time!

Thanks Gotrocks for your work in compiling this information, it was correct even though it took me a while to come around and believe it.
Closed Thread