Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 11-06-2022, 01:29 AM
Kobold

I was playing Sierra's The Realm in like 97-98 when I heard from a few people I played with about a beta they were in for a game called EverQuest. I ended up looking it up and spent an entire night reading all about the game on Casters Realm or EverLore or whatever one the first big EQ site was back during beta. There was an announcement on the site about how there was going to be some big meet up in IRC with the EQ devs to talk about the game. The chat was packed and Brad McQuaid himself was there talking about all the features the team wanted to implement.

During the conversation they had us either msg a bot or do a chat command to get put on a list and then X amount of people were chosen at random to get into Phase 4 of the beta. I won one of the spots and couldn't believe it. Unfortunately though I had to pay for S&H for the CD and I was only like 14 at the time and didn't have a CC or a debit card. I was asking in chat if there was someway I could get the CD sent to me if I sent them a $5 bill in the mail when I got a message from a total stranger. He was some some random dude living in Germany and he offered to pay the $5 USD shipping for me with his card and wanted nothing in return. A few weeks or a month after that the CD came in the mail and Phase 4 started. I faked being sick so I could take a few days off from school and ran around Everfrost getting lost in the maze while hunting wolves, spiders, and goblins as a Barb War.

I still have the CD but have no idea who the person that paid for my S&H was. Never talked to them again after that initial conversation. It was a real bro moment though that I have never forgotten, and over the years I've since done similar things to help people out online as a way to repay the universe.
Old 11-06-2022, 03:14 AM
Planar Protector

Started in jan 2000.
Lost corpse of lvl 10 non twinked druid, fighting bandits with Qued and delin, went back down wrong side track towards orc tower at end, died again and again. Thought world was ending, oh noes, i lost my tailored leather and prolly a (gifted) bronze weapon.
Had a mate with mid lvl (30 something) Pal, went to Befallen as a IRL friends group.all lvl appropriate. We all died near bottom somewhere, Pal went down, overestimated toughness and was swarmed and died as well. Good times.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:58 AM
Banned

I ninja looted some bro i found dead in WK and i sent them a /tell (hey bud i found ur corpse) and they consented, I got like bronze and lightstones
Old 11-06-2022, 03:41 PM
Banned

I remember what cemented enchanter for me was one time when I was grouping, but I can’t remember where. It was a zone with the floating sperm mouth mobs from Howling Stones, but a lower level version

Anyway, our group had a nasty pull/adds, about 6 mobs total. With all of my mana I was able to rotate around charm and mez, then charming a new thing, until everything was dead. I remember a group mate saying in group “wow you saved us. You’re really good”

And I thought to myself “fuck yea I’m good. I’m probably the best enchanter on this server”

And I vowed to never play another class again.

Until I re-rolled a shaman on Sullon Zek.

Then later a necromancer and mage on live
Old 11-06-2022, 09:13 PM
Planar Protector

As a higher lvl druid in oasis or sro, ancient cyclops pops right on me and i knew it was for a quest and a good item so i began kiting dotting & snaring. As a drood does. Then about 4 peeps pop into zone and try to take it. I thought, i got this, I was nearly done!
Chanter mez/memblurs i knew nought about chanters then.
Anywho, you know who won that one. I did about 85% of dam, memblur and a few nukes and melee from the other four and bingo. They get it. Prexus blue server so just had to suck it up.

Edit bit. The term, Floating sperm mouthes will stay with me as i drive my fork around the log yard.
Also dalnir and nurga have those.
Last edited by Duik; 11-06-2022 at 09:17 PM..
Old 11-07-2022, 02:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also dalnir and nurga have those.
O shit, right! It was def one of those

I never had a great drop (or one stolen) because I hated the idea of camping. But I do remember the first time some stranger ever helped me out as a noob in vanilla EQ

I was running along on my ogre shaman who was in his teen levels. Some high level asked me if it was my first char

When I said yes he gave me an Enameled black mace (https://wiki.project1999.com/Enameled_Black_Mace), made my whole week if I recall
Old 11-07-2022, 10:20 AM
Planar Protector

My very first character was a dark elf warrior. I spent what felt like 2 hours lost in Neriak. I managed to find my guild master and get my newb tunic and then fell in some water and drowned because I didn't know page up key to get out. Couldn't find my body and deleted the character and remade it so I could get back my newb tunic and short sword. I think around hour 3 I found the exit to Nektulos forest.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:34 AM
Banned

dark elfs are best race i agree and so is neriak best city

tbh if i made my own game it would start with neriak only and then go from there, u would only be able to play dark elf and all the other ppl in the world would be npcs and it would be like about soul searching and finding ur way in a world that hates u butt you are indoctrinated to hate back even harder, some ppl would fail, some ppl would succeed and it would be up to them to determine if they did or not the different end points and journeys would all have their own pros and cons