Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 12-16-2022, 09:25 PM
Planar Protector

Chill dude, fix was in prior to log analysis, could be reverted. Slinging mud isn't going to help.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:54 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Chill dude, fix was in prior to log analysis, could be reverted. Slinging mud isn't going to help.
From What I understand, P99 Devs do not consider log files as reliable evidence. The log files can be edited. There's no way to verify that those logs were not edited at some point. Only screenshots and posted information on websites from in era are considered reliable.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:12 PM
Planar Protector

They have quite literally made changes based off reliable log files
Old 12-17-2022, 01:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Quote: Don't try pulling these a long distance cause they will teleport after you and they will summon aswell. oh yea and you can't use any speed altering spells on them, snare, darkness etc...hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarlmarxbros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this one is my favorite. here we see not only do we need to make them summon, but you also need to implement them teleporting TO you after you aggro them.
https://web.archive.org/web/20020621...&pg=1&sortby=4

Quote:
Submited by: Franko - Luclin On: 12/22/2000 7:32:54 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
Dragon Necropolis has both dungeon atmosphere and at least one quest NPC that I know of so far. (and yes you are correct it appears to be some sort of dragon graveyard)

Phase Spiders are little bundles of joy that teleport you around like scarelings do and like to train around together in a nice translucent blur of death. Unlike scarelings they teleport themselves around as well unfortunately.

Dragon Constructs are weak for their level and size and drop a quest item for one of the Kael quests.

The little rat dudes (Chekari? forget the exact spelling) are great xp and relatively easy to kill, the only problem is the swarming beetles that tend to erupt out of nowhere in a big mass that tears your party to shreds quickly. There are triggered trap-like devices from what i've seen so far so you gotta watch your step, i'd recommend bringing a rogue.

oh and Jaled`Dar's shade DOESN'T like undead...running around near the entrance in skelly form is a good way to get DT'd.

cheers!

Franko Darooky
58 Templar of APEX
Luclin Server
It's worth considering that those players confused spiders' ability to summon with teleporting to them, given how disorienting those fights must have been. Their phase/shadowstep proc was later removed around 2004 or 2005, so it's not unthinkable that their ability to summon would have been removed at some point, the question is when (assuming any could summon originally); SG got neutered in late Velious, so there was precedent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One may assume the main tank got phased somewhere in the 34 fights and if spider was high enough level would have immediately been summoned back (although rumor has it they couldn't phase pets).
https://web.archive.org/web/20020621...1648&mode=show

Quote:
Submited by: Anonymous On: 9/20/2001 6:57:33 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
aye, you can hit these with root and snare, however it doesnt do anything. It really sucks
"a phase spider adheres to the ground"

and the thing just hauls ass right at you.

/cast feigndeath.

a shaman and necro can duo these fairly easy as long as the pets dont get shadowstepped too far away.
Last edited by Ennewi; 12-17-2022 at 01:24 AM..
Old 12-17-2022, 07:36 AM
Planar Protector

Were they teleporting or just being spawned by traps / appearing from invis? All 3 instances give the impression of appearing from no where.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-17-2022, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

The site itself cannot be accessed, but a preview offers the following...

https://web.archive.org/web/20010517...%20Discussions

Quote:
Necromancer Forums
topic.asp_TOPIC_ID=4305_and_FORUM_ID=1_and_CAT_ID= 1_and_Topic_Title=Solo_ing_in_Dragon_Necropolis_an d_Forum_Title=General_Discussions
: Password: All Forums General Discussions Solo'ing in Dragon Necropolis New Topic Reply to Topic Author Topic Darck_Hellfire
strategy did you try? Fear-Kiting : risk of running into a dragon construct? how is the pathing? Root-Doting : probably possible if you keep the spider feared to avoid being summoned. Means that the xp awarded should be high enough to overcome the mana cost of the strategy (the zone probably gives a
here) meaning if it summoned you, you may live.But I dont really know anything about the zone and don't know why I botherd to post =P. EDIT: I think I posted just to bump =/ Jamethiel PriestsBane Decaying Skeleton
5 Posts Posted - 04/17/2001 : 13:46:30 Slow usually sticks first time on the spiders. Could never get it to work on the dragon constructs, or the queen spider. Xell Naga leach lad
Comments below state that phase spiders could shadowstep themselves and proc the same effect on players. So if the player hit the phase spider, the phase spider itself had a chance of phase blinking. But if the phase spider hit the player, the player had a chance of being phase blinked.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050416...x?PostID=68321

Quote:
Anulien is not online. Last active: 2/8/2005 11:11:45 AM Anulien
www.eqtyranny.org
Total Posts: 198

Re: The phase spider in DN
Posted: Oct 27 04 4:18 PM
Yes, they do not summon. However do not hit them or they will shadow step. Do not get hit or they will shadow step you. Run 3 is barely enough to stay out of their melee range but a sow potion before zoning in is defintely recommended.
Quote:
Olethros is not online. Last active: 12/26/2004 5:52:39 PM Olethros
Total Posts: 24

Posted: Oct 28 04 10:57 AM
These no longer ShadowStep. They dont proc it either. I was doing them in my 50's with my Bst
Quote:
Anulien is not online. Last active: 2/8/2005 11:11:45 AM Anulien
www.eqtyranny.org
Total Posts: 198

Posted: Nov 1 04 11:02 AM
Wow pretty sad that they don't shadowstep anymore as that was the entire fun of them. Guess they should have been renamed to "Plain ole boring oversized translucent spider that doesn't summon".

Many players also complain of an issue with root/snare landing but to no effect. Others mention that both forms of movement reduction would land if the caster was standing at or on the mob. This was not only true for phase spiders, but dragon constructs and entropy serpents. Belly casters, the lot of them. So bard songs shouldn't be landing unless the bard is in melee range or thereabouts.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030907...884&FORUM_ID=3

Quote:
Decrim Posted - 08/01/2003 : 11:40:21 PM
Phase Spiders, i've taken 1 or 2 at 54 (not many spells stuck) but i still got it off...i restrained from dotting it to much, because didn't know if it would summon *sigh* and one problem was the shadowstep proc... shoots pet to asia pee pee. but after pet got back i Bond of death, or LT and watch my pet beat it down... (btw was using lvl 49 pet for this) hope this helps in some way !
Desh Board Posted - 08/01/2003 : 5:59:02 PM
Phase spiders can be soloed, not all that difficult. I think the construct things can be soloed around 57+ or so, but don't take my word for it. I beleive you need to be in melee range to land spells on them.
https://web.archive.org/web/20011224...tml?zstrat=121

Quote:
Disarming the traps Reply... By: Duldar,
6 posts
Posted @ Fri, Jun 15th 5:53 PM 2001 Score: Decent[3.00]
We have been on several raids here, but have never had a rogue with a real high sense/disarm traps skill, and since last night when 1 trap let loose 22 tiny phase spiders which have a high mr killed us, (even with 2 chanters in the high 50's), does anyone know what skill is needed to disarm these traps? Also, it should be advised to not use any illusions here, as we have had people HT'd for 20,000 pts damage, and it doesn't seem to matter where in the zone you are. Lastly, last night I tried to snare a phase spider with Cascading Darkness, and I got a message "your target is immune to any change in it's movement rate". I had never seen that message before.

Duldar Shannara 50war
Effexor Darkmood 60necro
Quellious

https://web.archive.org/web/20020102...1648&mode=show

Quote:
Submited by: Anonymous On: 9/20/2001 6:57:33 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
aye, you can hit these with root and snare, however it doesnt do anything. It really sucks
"a phase spider adheres to the ground"

and the thing just hauls ass right at you.
Quote:
Submited by: lickme On: 10/23/2001 5:44:31 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
you dumb ****..they can be rooted...obviously youve never fought one so dont post if youre a ****ing idiot

https://web.archive.org/web/20160108...eq/t-3881.html

Quote:
07-31-2001, 12:53 PM

Upper Floor MOBs
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Aside from the constructs you may trigger, you will see a ton of Phase Spiders on the upper floor. These are levels 49-52, and randomly teleport your group members a short distance away. This is bad if they land on traps. We dispatched 'em fairly quickly, though. They sometimes drop a Phase Spider Carapace (very nice piece of armor), or more frequenly, Phase Spider Blood (one charge of Improved Invisibility).

https://web.archive.org/web/20031205...html?item=4795

Quote:
Some info Reply...
Posted @ Mon, Jun 23rd 5:31 AM 2003
By: kemblestreet
18 posts
Score: Excellent [4.50]
Lucked out today and got one after 6 kills. As a 62 Beastlord, my pet was generally able to chew through them after slow went down. They hit for around 150 damage, but they hit quick. Slow is a must if you don't want to burn mana.

They proc shadow step very often, so if you have to tank them you will end up all over the shop, and probably in trouble. If you aren't a pet or kiting class, you really need to be grouped for safety reasons.

The really annoying thing about these spiders, apart from them being able to phase in and out of visibility, is that you have to be right next to them to cast on them. I had to have my pet follow me, engage a spider and then hope that he didn't get gated before I'd gotten slow off. After that, I'd head back to the ZO, and sure enough within seconds my pet would join me :P

The zone itself is really creepy, and I'm sure had I been there longer I would have experienced some of the nasty traps that exist in abundance.
Quote:
1 Replies
RE: Some info Reply...
Posted @ Sat, Jun 28th 4:10 AM 2003
By: Troodon
Scholar
699 posts
Score: Decent [3.23]
That seems to be a common characteristic of many mobs in this zone, hehe. Many mobs here (dragon constructs and entropy serpents as well as phase spiders) can only be casted on from melee range.

Troodon, AKA Zararazu Twoflower, Level 59 Iksar Monk, Jaggedpine Defender, Solusek Ro

My profile: http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=91426

Comments that do not support the claims about phase spiders summoning/shadow stepping themselves...

https://web.archive.org/web/20020227....shtml?id=5422

Quote:
Fighting Phase spiders Reply... By: Azhanti,
80 posts
Posted @ Thu, Jan 10th 4:59 AM 2002 Score: Decent[2.50]
To the poerson asking about bow-kiting these creatures: Based on self-casts, the root line of spells does not prevent any form of teleportation. Pretty much any wizard of level 4 or over could tell you that, actually. Since PC casters never seem to have advantages over NPC casters I'd consider it highly unlikely that rooting a Phase spider would prevent it from SSing.
Also, consider that this is a mob over level 50. If you poke it with enough arrows you'll eventually pick up plenty of aggro and get summoned (with your interest in Archery I assume you're a ranger? Ranger bow crits will get you summoned all the faster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )
I'd advise a group for these babies, and if you want to keep them from SSing out have a chanter chaincasting something from the Color line to keep it stunned from about 50% health downwards. Looking at the casting times for Shadowstep (1 sec) and for the various stun spells (as a wizard I use Tishan's (2.5 sec) and Markar's Clash (3 sec) trying to interrupt is not a good idea.
Hope you find that helpful [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nenelyan
Torv

[Top]
RE: Fighting Phase spiders Reply... By: Anonymous
Posted @ Sun, Feb 17th 10:36 AM 2002 Score: Default[2.00]
As well as, I have never had one of these summon me.

[Top]
1 message(s) skipped by filter settings
RE: Fighting Phase spiders Reply... By: Azhanti,
80 posts
Posted @ Thu, Jan 10th 6:23 AM 2002 Score: Decent[2.50]
With apologies, these mobs don't SS themselves, they proc SS on melee opponants. Rather a waste of a tactical discussion, but the point about bow kiting is sound, and the chainstunning would certainly work on gating mobs

Nen

https://web.archive.org/web/20020424....shtml?id=5422

Quote:
worth 12k? yes indeed. Reply...
Posted @ Wed, Dec 17th 1:27 AM 2003
By: Ahlorn
7 posts
Score: Decent [3.00]
Were gearing up a beastie alt of mine when I started to look for a chest item, browsed the bazaar window and saw two of these for 12k.
Thought for myself; "bah, I'd never pay 12k for that".
But it was still a nice item and I went here and looked at all these posts, whoa, when I saw that some people had been there for days and days without a drop, then there was someone that had been there for just a few hours and even just a few pulls, so I bonked myself in the head and went out to get one.

I started killing the 4 spiders near entrance and the wandering one. Began to kill at like 10pm EST, soloed to 1am, got help from 1am to 4am, then soloed again from 4am to 7am, when I was about to leave I got aggroed by a lightblue phase spider and there it was, I could barely belive my eyes. I am really glad that I got it and I don't blame the ppl that charge 10kpp or more for it.

So what have we learned?
Apparently any "a phase spider" may drop it since I got it at entrance and some other ppl got it elsewhere.
They /con mostly darkblue to a level 63 druid, but there were some lightblue also.
They don't gate when rooted/dotted, apparently only takes effect when they hit you.
With C3 and PotC I could take down 2 before I were OOM.

Good Luck guys, hope you get it, I sure don't regret spending all those hours there, it was worth it =)

Venerable Ahlorn Vintersorg.
lvl 63 druid
Povar Server.
Quote:
hmm Reply... By: Anonymous
Posted @ Mon, Dec 3rd 10:35 AM 2001 Score: Default[2.00]
if you root these, can they still shadowstep?
I'm thinkin bout using a crystal websack to hold it in place and bitch poke it with arrows till it dies,....think that might work?
Quote:
RE: hmm Reply... By: xsox,
62 posts
Posted @ Sun, Mar 10th 6:24 PM 2002 Score: Decent[2.68]
Yep, they'll just be rooted wherever they shadow step to. Been rooted in duels enough to know this.
Quote:
WOOT D&D;! Reply... By: Anonymous
Posted @ Sun, Jan 7th 4:45 AM 2001 Score: Decent[2.50]
WOOT! do these things cast a shadow step spell? (kinda like the phase spiders in D&D; that cast dimentional gate) LOL be carful Vearnt dont wanna have a WOTC law suit on your hands

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3e_SRD:Phase_Spider

Quote:
Combat
Phase spiders dwell and hunt on the Material Plane. Once a spider locates prey, however, it shifts to the Ethereal Plane to attack, attempting to catch its victim flat-footed. The spider shifts in, bites its victim, and retreats quickly back to the Ethereal Plane.

Ethereal Jaunt (Su): A phase spider can shift from the Ethereal to the Material Plane as a free action, and shift back again as a move-equivalent action (or during a move-equivalent action). The ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt cast by a 15th-level sorcerer.
So it would make sense then that, if the EQ devs based their version off of D&D's, phase spiders would teleport both the player and themselves, as has been claimed, to mimic the pen and paper behaviors associated with them. This would also explain the lack of a summoning message in logs.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The site itself cannot be accessed, but a preview offers the following...
Necro.eqclasses.com and everlore.com were some of the first sites I captured when I was on windows, and I played with a url sanitizer to cleanup the filenames so they wouldn't break on NTFS. It converted "&" to "_and_" and such.

Later I recaptured these sites without the sanitizer.

If you see a site with links like that try the Open(alternate) link in the result or check for a non mangled duplicate capture. I redid them later.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necro.eqclasses.com and everlore.com were some of the first sites I captured when I was on windows, and I played with a url sanitizer to cleanup the filenames so they wouldn't break on NTFS. It converted "&" to "_and_" and such.

Later I recaptured these sites without the sanitizer.

If you see a site with links like that try the Open(alternate) link in the result or check for a non mangled duplicate capture. I redid them later.
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up!

https://web.archive.org/web/20010804...n.com/crit.jpg

10:30:19 Aug 04, 2001

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-10-2023, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

Goddamn Ennewi, you got mad skills. Conclusive hard evidence they summoned. Surprising logs of high levels didn't show, perhaps the announcement range was shorter
Old 02-12-2023, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Goddamn Ennewi, you got mad skills. Conclusive hard evidence they summoned. Surprising logs of high levels didn't show, perhaps the announcement range was shorter

He uses my search engine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Want access?