Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Kobold

Default 30 SK mostly duo/small groups. Weapon choice? Haste?

Currently level 30 Iksar SK. Primarily duo with shaman, and often trio+ if we can find dps. (we play late night EST.

Should I be focusing on obtaining a new 2h to replace my dark reaver? Perhaps a shield to replace my 10ac shield of Kurn's? Or saving for a haste item? With the pre nerf cos being way out of my price range now I'm looking for a goal to work towards.

Current gear is a mix of dreadscale, seb scale, have my 5 ac 55 hp rings. Jade mace/shield of kurn for 1h, dark reaver for 2h. I've found myself mostly using the dark reaver since it's finally hitting for decent damage. Will probably keep it a while for the proc. (I don't remember it stacking with siphon on live was stoked to see that it does here!)

I've saved up about 1kpp so far, so about a quarter of the way towards schw or fbss if I want to save a bit longer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Fire Giant

That dark reaver is terrible xD

Try picking up a deathbringers rod, 30/40 2hb that is probly under 300pp now. Also a noc blade is a much better 1h option and i would think theyre really cheap now. Jade mace isnt a knight weapon so the ratio is really bad on it
Old 05-17-2016, 03:35 PM
Fire Giant

you can get an axe of lost souls for some what cheap. not as cheap as deathbringers rod but it comes with stats and the same ratio.

since you are a tanking class, haste isnt your main priority, but it does help. I was cheap and waited until i could get the free plane of air belt with 16% haste.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Kobold

Picked up a Green Jade Halberd today. Stats gave me over 50 hp and about 7 ac btw the + hp, sta and agi, and seems like a decent ratio. Should hold me well till I can farm enough cash for a solid 1h/shield combo. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Fire Giant

Duoing with a shaman, I would recommend a nice 2 hander for damage. You will have the mob slowed so you won't need the extra AC from a shield. You'll want to do as much damage as possible to make the fights go faster.
I would keep the 1h/shield if you feel like swapping it for interrupting casters. The other option would be to fear kite the caters, assuming you have room at your camp.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg816 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Duoing with a shaman, I would recommend a nice 2 hander for damage. You will have the mob slowed so you won't need the extra AC from a shield. You'll want to do as much damage as possible to make the fights go faster.
I would keep the 1h/shield if you feel like swapping it for interrupting casters. The other option would be to fear kite the caters, assuming you have room at your camp.
Sounds like I'm on the right track then. As I mentioned, I just got a respectable (for my lvl) 2h wep this afternoon. Going to try to work my way up to a Moss or nocti/sbs or kith rot shield for situations when I need to bash or just need ac. I definitely do my best to utilize my abilities I. E. Fearing casters when we have space, kiting a melee mob if need be when healer goes oom and my taps aren't cutting it. I think that's what I enjoy most about this class. Very versatile, maybe not the best but can do a lot of situational things to ensure a groups or my own survival.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami21k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I definitely do my best to utilize my abilities I. E. Fearing casters when we have space, kiting a melee mob if need be when healer goes oom and my taps aren't cutting it.
Are you duoing with the same shaman primarily? There are things he should be doing as well. I'm my experience, as a 60 shaman, it's often times better to use lower level spells. It depends on the situation, but for most of my earlier years I would use a tier lower slow and root. The difference in slows is more noticeable in the shaman's mana than it is in the mob attacks. I tested this a lot while leveling. Not slowing the lower mobs and using my new slow on the harder mobs resulted in a lot more healing. By dropping down my slow, I could slow all but the weakest mobs and have plenty of mana for healing and root cc. Using a lower level root has a similar effect. The cc'd mob isn't being damaged so the root usually lasts a while. I later did the same thing with my malo line.

Feel free to pm me about this or anything else, as well.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Kobold

Thanks for the advice. The new weapon and armor that I picked up this week definitely helped my dps out quite a bit. Shaman usually does a great job of being efficient, as do I. We generally have little downtime and this is with the sham charming a cat in OT as well to add a little dps.

I think my next move is to farm up a nocti/sbs combo now that I have a nice 2 hander, and just keep grinding out the levels. Feels good to be out of the pre invis/fd lvls. Nice to be able to explore a bit with a few tools to prevent a long cr.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:21 PM
Fire Giant

Awesome. Happy to help. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread