Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoTriz2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I run a little web development company and I pay around $1000/month for my servers.

I'd have to imagine they exceed that.
Dude, either you're massively incompetent, way underselling your company by calling it "little", or you need to seek AWS.

$1k/month is wayyyyy too much for a "little" web dev company.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldan4 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok I just had a interesting conversation in teamspeak with someone about how much it costs to keep these servers up. I am trying to get a little verification here.

Is there anyone that can give a list as to how much each month it costs just to keep this running?
Is it possible for whoever's in charge to tell us how much they get in donations each month to keep this running?
Everyone seems to be of the opinion that everyone else is donating so they don't have to, which means nobody is. I know that ASKING for money might get them in trouble, but is there any reason they can't tell what % of each month's goal they meet each month for basic upkeep?
The only thing you need to know is donating as much as you can spare will only help if you're playing on this server. If you happen to win the lotto make sure to give in the millions [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Guild Leader of <Asgard> The home of the gods!
Lightyear/Artah
Old 04-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

I was told that Red server runs off a Raspberry Pi Rogean has sitting as a conversation piece on top of the toilet in his guest bathroom, but I am not certain that's true.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 04-11-2019, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was told that Red server runs off a Raspberry Pi Rogean has sitting as a conversation piece on top of the toilet in his guest bathroom, but I am not certain that's true.
I heard it is situated in a waterproof glass bulb in the toilet itself
Old 04-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

I doubt donations cover the cost of the server, Papa Rogean doing this out of the goodness of his heart and his own pocket for our benefit.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dude, either you're massively incompetent, way underselling your company by calling it "little", or you need to seek AWS.

$1k/month is wayyyyy too much for a "little" web dev company.
I'm using Rackspace. They aren't the cheapest, but they're solid.

I probably have around 300 websites hosted with me?

It's been a while. I could probably get cheaper with Liquid Web or something but changing hosting providers is like pulling teeth.

I've never been incompetent in my life.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoTriz2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then why are you on your 3rd account that I know about and I've only been here since January... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm using Rackspace. They aren't the cheapest, but they're solid.

I probably have around 300 websites hosted with me?

It's been a while. I could probably get cheaper with Liquid Web or something but changing hosting providers is like pulling teeth.

I'm leaning towards:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
way underselling your company by calling it "little"
But it really depends on what "300 websites" means. 300 single pages used for affiliate links or whatnot should not cost that much, but 300 fully distinct sites each with their own back-end (using non-trivial amounts of CPU/memory/disk) might cost something like that ... though I certainly wouldn't call such a host "little".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

It's weird that you would believe anything that Dino says, Loramin.
Closed Thread