Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethelin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks bigjeff, I'll do some research on it. You make a good point about FD. I think my biggest issues with SK and the main reasons I hadn't really considered it is faction and race. The only SK I can see myself sticking with is a Dark Elf and they seem to lack decent stats for SKs (although hide is nice, albeit less important once FD is in the picture). That coupled with the lack of friendly zones just seems like I'd be setting myself up for failure. I'm open to having my mind changed on that though.
All SKs get hide at level 35, regardless of race. Still very nice When you want to med and stay invis. Solid class, great group tank and can solo slowly at higher levels. Should get better with next patch with 2h dmg bonus and getting on warrior dmg table. Every sk race is great, I went iksar for plate look, greenmist, and regen/ac. Look at fashion part of wiki to see what velious armor looks like.

Druids will be easiest solo to 60 with charm, but not totally loved in groups especially at higher levels. Shaman is a solid choice, but they really shine in duos over solo pre 60. Also bard is a solid choice for solo/group if you’ve considered them. Barely need any money for songs/gear
Last edited by Crede; 05-28-2019 at 01:00 PM..
Old 05-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Kobold

[QUOTE=bigjeff100;2916465]I've never made or played a DE. I made my SK a Erudite, which i had never played before as well.. Loved that it gave me the chance to explore Odus, Warren's was friggin sweet man. But then the Erudite gives me the option of being able to still dink around without being totally hated.. I also made him with erudite cultural armor in mind, so for the first 35 levels or so, i was the coolest lookin erudite around!

Anyways, i think it's safe to say if you can't stand looking at your character, then it will never be worth making.. So if you're dead set on the DE, and unhappy with his stats, then i'd say skip the SK.. But SK doesn't need to worry about being AS gear dependent as a warrior..[/QUOTE

Dark elf looks the best in plate
Old 05-28-2019, 03:22 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I made my SK a Erudite, which i had never played before as well.. Loved that it gave me the chance to explore Odus, Warren's was friggin sweet man. But then the Erudite gives me the option of being able to still dink around without being totally hated.. I also made him with erudite cultural armor in mind, so for the first 35 levels or so, i was the coolest lookin erudite around!
I forgot SKs could be Erudite, Gnome, and Human. I was thinking it was just Troll Ogre Iksar and Dark elf. Faction would likely be less of an issue with Erudite, Gnome, and Human so I could propbably get behind those. I'll check out some of the cultural armor for those races/gods.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:27 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druids will be easiest solo to 60 with charm, but not totally loved in groups especially at higher levels. Shaman is a solid choice, but they really shine in duos over solo pre 60. Also bard is a solid choice for solo/group if you’ve considered them. Barely need any money for songs/gear
I figured Druids would be popular with the utility and the fact that almost everybody seems to have one. Then again I suppose when they're a dime a dozen not so much.

Is a Shaman difficult to play or really gear dependent? I see on some other threads people love to suggest them, but seem reluctant to suggest you start with them.

I'm not much into bards in general.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:29 PM
Banned

Gnome can't roll SK on this server.. It did become a playable class eventually but not sure when.. Erudite was a great race choice for SK. Plus a rare combo across Norrath! Both Paladin and SK Erudite Steel Silk cultural armor is my favorite by far!
Old 05-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethelin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I forgot SKs could be Erudite, Gnome, and Human. I was thinking it was just Troll Ogre Iksar and Dark elf. Faction would likely be less of an issue with Erudite, Gnome, and Human so I could propbably get behind those. I'll check out some of the cultural armor for those races/gods.
We won't see Gnome SKs in P99. They didn't come until at least Luclin. This is unfortunate because of that sweet tinkering clicky armor they get, including 40% spell haste.

Quote:
I figured Druids would be popular with the utility and the fact that almost everybody seems to have one. Then again I suppose when they're a dime a dozen not so much.

Is a Shaman difficult to play or really gear dependent? I see on some other threads people love to suggest them, but seem reluctant to suggest you start with them.

I'm not much into bards in general.
Druids aren't really good enough at any one thing at higher levels to make them popular in groups, with the exception of chardok groups since they can charm there. Shaman isn't a difficult class to play, but it can get old fast if you're not up for casting Canni all the time. They can be played without gear, but they really shine with big items like Fungi, Epic, JBB, and costly spells such as Bane of Nife, Torpor, etc.

I noticed you mentioned Wizard, but nothing with Mage. They can nuke about 90% as good as a wizard, they can solo in the right environments, extremely easy to gear, great group class with OP pets, and you can eventually use one to farm tons of pp to twink other classes. I'd probably go with Mage in your position.
Last edited by Crede; 05-28-2019 at 03:47 PM..
Old 05-28-2019, 03:47 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Erudite was a great race choice for SK. Plus a rare combo across Norrath! Both Paladin and SK Erudite Steel Silk cultural armor is my favorite by far!
You're winning me over here. Which cultural armor did you end up grabbing? It's not the flayed skin stuff is it? I see that stuff going for cheap-ish in EC.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:49 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I noticed you mentioned Wizard, but nothing with Mage. They can nuke about 90% as good as a wizard, they can solo in the right environments, extremely easy to gear, great group class with OP pets, and you can eventually use one to farm tons of pp to twink other classes. I'd probably go with Mage in your position.
Hmm, not a bad plan. Do you know if the pets steal your exp though?
Old 05-28-2019, 04:04 PM
Fire Giant

Damn Jeff you are like the best Erudite SK salesman I’ve ever seen. Anytime I regret making a erudite over a ogre or iksar I know I can just search your posts.

If erudite sk’s were Gulfstream jets you’d be a billionaire!
Old 05-28-2019, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Hmm, not a bad plan. Do you know if the pets steal your exp though?
Pet will steal xp if it does more than 50% of the dmg to the mob soloing. The pet's damage shield is considered neutral dmg. You can chain cast pets to avoid this, and to throw in a nuke or 2 to out dps the pet's melee dmg. There are guides on this, I won't go into detail. Also some mages will still xp with the pet taking half the xp which can still beat group xp in many situations. Finding a duo partner is a nice counter to this as well.

Quote:
You're winning me over here. Which cultural armor did you end up grabbing? It's not the flayed skin stuff is it? I see that stuff going for cheap-ish in EC.
It's the steelsilk armor. Search for it on wiki. Dark Red is for SKs, the blue & tan is for Pallies. I have a set of the blue prexus pally armor for sale if you do want to go that route. I paid around 13k for it, it's not cheap to make, but I could sell for less if you're interested. Pallies are better group tanks than SKs, but not better soloers.
Closed Thread