Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-12-2022, 10:24 AM
Skeleton

Default New Troll Warrior

Hey all just a quick question from someone who has never played a warrior.

So i've got it in my head that i want to roll a troll warrior but i'm not sure where to put starting stats. I've scowered the boards looking for this info and found some useful information but it seems very convoluted at the same time. My question is do I go full dex and 5 in strength or stamina? If it helps i will be playing this toon pretty casually and will have access to a fungi so i'll be soloing a bit and grouping but dunno if i'll ever get to raid stuff. i have a bunch of other toons in the 50's so can farm stuff and get gear easy enough.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

For starting stats on a Warrior the two choices are generally Stamina or Charisma.

If you think you will ever change your mind about raiding, dump into Charisma for the extra chance of https://wiki.project1999.com/Divine_Intervention procing. Trolls get a lot of Stamina to start with already, but they are rather smelly, so their Charisma is low. Raid gear for Warriors generally doesn't have Charisma either, so it will be harder to get this stat up later on.

If you know for absolute certainty that you will never raid, then dumping into Stamina is fine. It will allow you to have more HP in more situations, depending on what buffs your current group has access to, as well as what gear you have access to.

Do not bother dumping into Dexterity or Strength. They are very easy to cap with buffs. As an example, with https://wiki.project1999.com/Focus_of_Spirit , https://wiki.project1999.com/Mortal_Deftness , and https://wiki.project1999.com/Maniacal_Strength you are already getting +120 to Strength and Dexterity. You are a Troll, so your starting Strength is already enough to wear plate just fine. Trolls also have a decent starting Dexterity, higher than Ogres and Barbarians. Strength is fairly easy to get on gear as well. Dexterity is a bit harder to find on gear, but there are enough options for you to make up any Dexterity you think you may be lacking.

Stamina has less buffs available for it, you mostly will just have https://wiki.project1999.com/Riotous_Health . That being said, Stamina is pretty easy to get on Velious era gear. It is a common stat.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-12-2022 at 11:29 AM..
Old 08-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Don't think too hard about it. I've done all sorts or races and dumped all different starting stats (except wis and int ... maybe next warrior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]). All combos have worked perfectly adequately.

Str is great at lower levels when you might be picking up a lot of heavy vendor loot and not yet have weight reducing bags. Dex is good for late 30s+ grouping / solo procs, but it is really easy to cap with buffs (as I sure you know boon of garou adds +100, shaman can easily add +100 at 60) so if you're planning on playing with shamans or raiding I'd suggest avoiding dex.

Sta is great at 50-60 while you are still gearing up, but once you hit the cap it's useless (beyond maybe freeing up a buff slot).

Agility doesn't do much after 75. Except for when incapacitated, you will beg for more agility when a shaman NPC uses the cripple line on you and you're encumbered to hell.

If you are gonna be doing loads of main tanking eventually charisma is the only thing that won't easily(!) max out with gear/buffs. So yeah, if you're planning on getting divine intervened then that may be the winningest choice. You'll also do a little better from some vendors while levelling up too.

I hope these thoughts/observations have been useful. What ever you pick don't bother regretting your choice - at some part in your character's career the choice will be useful.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 08-12-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Old 08-12-2022, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Dex if you plan to mostly solo/group occasionally.
Stamina if you want to raid
Cha if you're a hardcore minmaxer
Old 08-12-2022, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Why not make your solo life a heck of a lot better levels 1-50, pump it all into strength. Dex barely makes a difference, it's just too random on procs, strength consistently gives higher DPS numbers.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why not make your solo life a heck of a lot better levels 1-50, pump it all into strength. Dex barely makes a difference, it's just too random on procs, strength consistently gives higher DPS numbers.
Trolls already start with high Strength, and it's easy to get Strength gear/buffs. OP says he can give his new Warrior a Fungi, so I doubt he's hurting for cash when it comes to filling his other slots.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For starting stats on a Warrior the two choices are generally Stamina or Charisma.

If you think you will ever change your mind about raiding, dump into Charisma for the extra chance of https://wiki.project1999.com/Divine_Intervention procing. Trolls get a lot of Stamina to start with already, but they are rather smelly, so their Charisma is low. Raid gear for Warriors generally doesn't have Charisma either, so it will be harder to get this stat up later on.

If you know for absolute certainty that you will never raid, then dumping into Stamina is fine. It will allow you to have more HP in more situations, depending on what buffs your current group has access to, as well as what gear you have access to.
I want to preface my post here with the fact that I respect DeathSilkMisty and enjoy his thoughtful and data driven analysis of topics. I don't mean any disrespect here.

Personally speaking, I disagree with the recommendation to go with CHA if folks plan to raid. I raid with a modestly geared warrior (6100 hp and working on it!) and I'm not anywhere close to capped on my basic melee stats. Granted there's a shammy there 9 times out of 10 to help fix that, but if I hadn't gone max STA on creation I even with shammy I wouldn't be maxed out (can you tell I didn't go ogre? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

While I get that CHA may the ultimate BIS or near BIS min/max choice, to get there folks will probably spend years regretting not putting it in something more immediately useful.

Just my 2 cp, of course!!
Old 08-12-2022, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to preface my post here with the fact that I respect DeathSilkMisty and enjoy his thoughtful and data driven analysis of topics. I don't mean any disrespect here.

Personally speaking, I disagree with the recommendation to go with CHA if folks plan to raid. I raid with a modestly geared warrior (6100 hp and working on it!) and I'm not anywhere close to capped on my basic melee stats. Granted there's a shammy there 9 times out of 10 to help fix that, but if I hadn't gone max STA on creation I even with shammy I wouldn't be maxed out (can you tell I didn't go ogre? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

While I get that CHA may the ultimate BIS or near BIS min/max choice, to get there folks will probably spend years regretting not putting it in something more immediately useful.

Just my 2 cp, of course!!
Oh yeah, Stamina is a good choice on Warrior. It still helps in raids, especially if there are dispelling mobs. I just want OP to know that CHA is the hardest to max, so it is the best choice in the long run.

Judging by his post, he probably isn't going to be a raider. However, Warriors are naturally best suited for raiding on P99, so OP may change his mind down the road. A lot can happen between character creation and being level 50+.

In your case it sounds like you didn't go Troll/Ogre, so for a smaller race it's a bit tougher to cap Stamina.

To the other posters, I still wouldn't recommend Strength or Dexterity, as it is easy to get heavily buffed, even outside of raids. Groups do not Stat/Gear check, so it isn't like you are going to be dropped from a group if your Proc Rate/White Damage isn't at peak optimization. If a group just doesn't want a Warrior as a tank, you will get screened that way. If you heavily solo it isn't going to make or break your character either. You can always get bad luck when it comes to damage/procs. Strategy, understanding the game, and proper gear is what you need to be a successful soloing Warrior.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-12-2022 at 03:37 PM..
Old 08-12-2022, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trolls already start with high Strength, and it's easy to get Strength gear/buffs. OP says he can give his new Warrior a Fungi, so I doubt he's hurting for cash when it comes to filling his other slots.
I'm strictly talking solo, grouping is easy and stats barely matter. So with that being said, show me a gear list that gets him to 255 strength while soloing. So he needs 137 strength from gear if he doesn't put any points into it. I don't think it's easy like you suggest.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm strictly talking solo, grouping is easy and stats barely matter. So with that being said, show me a gear list that gets him to 255 strength while soloing. So he needs 137 strength from gear if he doesn't put any points into it. I don't think it's easy like you suggest.
My baby Gnome Warrior is getting +80 something STR right now with standard Velious Era gear and an Iksar BP equipped. I don't have the exact equipment list on me at the moment since I am not in a position to log in right now.

When you hit 45 you are getting another +25 from https://wiki.project1999.com/Cobalt_Boots , and an additional +20 with https://wiki.project1999.com/Cobalt_Gauntlets if you don't mind managing the buff. It's really not that hard to get a lot of Strength if you want it, and both of those Cobalt pieces are cheap.

So at 45 my Gnome Warrior would have +125ish Strength with just normal stuff you could buy in EC.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-12-2022 at 04:27 PM..