Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Sarnak

I've thought this over a bit, and I'll throw it out for consideration.

A powerleveler is not engaging mobs in any sort of legitimate sense. Anything he pulls is intended to be KSed by a specific other player or group of players. A soloing or swarm-kiting grouped bard, on the other hand, should be seen as legitimate.

As such, a case could be made for engaging mobs that are being monopolized and not engaged -- in other words, the powerleveler's train.

This will lead to all sorts of inter-player nastiness, of course. If the powerleveler gets ticked off and zones, you're pretty much going to end up training yourself.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Sarnak

So the power-leveler problem is really a symptom of a more ubiquitous problem throughout the game, and simply put it is this:

1) Camps are claimed on a first-come, first-serve basis, regardless of player's level.
2) Roamers can not be camped, and will predominantly be tagged and bagged by better geared, higher level players.

If you're going to keep that 60 druid from hunting in the 10s dungeon, you've got to keep him from hunting in the 20s and 30s and 40s dungeons too. Or you could have instanced dungeons, so everyone gets a shot at whatever camp they want. But then loot becomes common and devalued.

The system works fine. Disappointment and difficulty are part of classic EQ.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

You guys must hate it when i take my 50+ cleric/shaman/druid into cb and buff the entire zone
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

On live bard powerleveling (recently, not sure about PoP and earlier) involved pulling as much of the zone without it getting tethered (a WoW mechanic later added in to prevent large trains by having mobs return to their designated area) while the low level pbaes the crowd as the train dies to ds..

One way average (non PL) lowbies dealt with this that I often saw was that they would pbae the train for more damage, thereby gaining themselves a free trains worth of experience [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Its already KSing to bard PL, right?

Perhaps if there were more train trolls on 99=less people angered by PLs and more people getting the xp they want [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

whenever I've PLed people here before I've noticed the strain (especially in xp bonus week) that my work puts on zones, and while its not my intention to do that for extended periods of time I could see based upon that where having a bard along is 10x better for some and 10x worse for others lol
Last edited by Laugher; 11-07-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

I'm not in favor of this idea at all, but why not make mob run speed increase for every mob over 4. It wouldn't affect quad kiting and bards could still kite to a certain extent. But this is not classic and the server would be down to 3 bards.
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
WIPE IT CLEAN ITS TERRIBLE
#elfpals discord
Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugher [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On live bard powerleveling (recently, not sure about PoP and earlier) involved pulling as much of the zone without it getting tethered (a WoW mechanic later added in to prevent large trains by having mobs return to their designated area) while the low level pbaes the crowd as the train dies to ds..

One way average (non PL) lowbies dealt with this that I often saw was that they would pbae the train for more damage, thereby gaining themselves a free trains worth of experience [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Its already KSing to bard PL, right?

Perhaps if there were more train trolls on 99=less people angered by PLs and more people getting the xp they want [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

whenever I've PLed people here before I've noticed the strain (especially in xp bonus week) that my work puts on zones, and while its not my intention to do that for extended periods of time I could see based upon that where having a bard along is 10x better for some and 10x worse for others lol
This is actually quite an interesting concept. By virtue of the bard low hp kiting and the people being PLed essentially KSing the bard it would actually make the entire train fair game for anyone.

I would have to then assume it is ok if you are able to AOE down the bards train faster than the people being PLed you would not be punished for this.

Of course all the bard would have to do is notice this and sing regen and effectively convert the aggro to you then goodnight.

I kinda think swarm kiting is just an accepted aspect of the game and that those who get swarm kited dont really want to experience the game between 1-50.

Honestly swarm kiting is only effective in zones that arent that great xp for people grouping anywhere, with ZEM OT is really not the best place to go - try a dungeon.

Ive rambled too long
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Aviak

The problem with the KS argument is that its up to the kiter to report someone KS'ing them. Who will they report: their buddy that they're PLing, or the guy who aoe's his train?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Fire Giant

you got no idea what was getting aa xp with a bard aoe kitting hohb. 14 aas per kite nothing less nothing more.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 PM
VIP / Contributor

as far as dungeons go, they are made up by camps. no person or group is allowed to own more than one camp (unless theres no other players around contesting the zone/camp). so if you are in Crushbone, or Mistmoore, or Unrest, or any dungeon, and a PLer is claiming more than one camp, the PLer has to give up one camp (as chosen by the person that owned both). if the PLer refuses to give up one of his multiple camps, you should /petition in game and then take a camp.

as far as swarm kiting bards, some earlier poster hit the nail on the head. the problem isnt that bards round up a hundred mobs; the problem is that it TAKES SO LONG to round up and then kite down the mobs, and as previously mentioned, can prevent anyone else from seeing a pop for over an hour. ive seen this in OoT, DL, and OT entirely too often, and i have told players repeatedly that if you can not find a mob because some one is kiting more than 4 of them, feel free to peel one off. no staff member is going to give a player grief for peeling 1 mob off a bard thats kiting an entire zone (or an entire island in the OoT situations).

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidoof [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem with the KS argument is that its up to the kiter to report someone KS'ing them. Who will they report: their buddy that they're PLing, or the guy who aoe's his train?
But here is the deal "technically" they arent KSing him as he doesnt actually hold aggro he is simply low HP kiting, if you were to heal the bard he would lose aggro and the entire PL party would die. Can you be punished for "healing" someone?

Let me make it clear however, I dont care about swarm kiting in the least in OT, I have zero intention of ever going there and I doubt I will ever see swarm kiting in the zones I want to level in. I am just making a point about how the game mechanics are working
Closed Thread