Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Large Bat

Default New Player - Class Questions

Hi everyone - just joined the server and I'm trying to decide on a class. I was wondering two things:

1. Are there any classes which are especially sought after, or are currently underplayed?
2. Are there any classes which are "easier" to start with than others? Not easy as in gameplay/strategy, but easy because of things like alignment / cost for spells / cost for equipment etc.

Thanks, really excited to get started!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Sarnak

Agnostic is pretty safe all around, it can sometimes be a poor choice if you are a min/maxer. I have found through creating many alts, and quitting numerous times to deal with real life matters, that coming back and playing any class is never difficult. Listen to people that say, play what you want, as its all about the journey bud. Great friends to be made here.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Sarnak

Cleric seemed like a solid choice for me when I started. Was needed everywhere I went, and more. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] If you're worried about spells, don't be. Enough generous players on this server to help you out (I'll be one of them, /tell me if you need spell money).

Monks always good and simple too, gear for them is everywhere, highly desired in most groups.

Rangers, Shadow Knights, and Paladins are underplayed, but for reason.

Recoome Kaboom - ?? Shadow Knight (Ogre)
Tierael Div`launim - 40 Cleric (Dark Elf)
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

This is a common question and it really depends on what your style is and what you want to get out of the game.

The bottom line is you have to play what you like. If you don't it will always seems like it drags on for you. With that being said you have to remember that you will struggle more with gear dependant classes so try and weigh that into your equasion.

If I were to start over again with no cash I would do a pure +int caster (enc, nec, mag, wiz) due to their low gear reliance. Here is the list of classis with pros and cons.
- Enchanter: gear costs very little, cheap and extremely powerful class. Class is back loaded so you will not start to pull away as an exceptional class for at least the first 20-30 levels.- Necro: they are the bar for soloing. Also cheap to gear without much in terms of gear requirements to begin with.
- Magician: very strong DPS class with little reliance on gear.
- Shaman: very strong class to play in both solo scenarios and in groups. Although can get by without great gear, good gear is extremely expensive (spells too) at later levels.
- Bard: one of the least gear dependant melee. Great to start as a first character as they really develop all your skills (or none if you just aoe).
- Cleric: not gear dependant per se but the more the better. Solid class as a first character due to ease of grouping.
- Druid: extremely easy starting class due to low gear reliance. Excellent power leveller and of course ports for later as a source of good income.
- Wizard: probably the most gear reliant of the casters due to most wizards using the quad kite method. They can also port later and are good starting chars for that.
- Monk: another low gear reliance melee. Their gear is cheap and plentiful. Good if you want to melee.
- Shadowknight: knight classes are hard to level due to xp penalty in this era. Gear can be bought cheaply but they are dependant.
- Paladin: cheaper to gear than Shadow knights but still expensive.
- Ranger: relatively cheap to gear a ranger. Can be fairly tough to get groups with though.
- Warrior: Hard mode. Very dependant on gear, gear can be expensive. Can't really solo well but ultimately a fun class to play.
- Rogue: gear dependant but only weapons really. If you have a good wep you can have shit gear.

Sorry for the wall of text - hope it helps.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Last edited by Yumyums Inmahtumtums; 11-08-2013 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: I'm stupid
Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Large Bat

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna start with a Wizard so I can blow stuff up and teleport around, but I'm sure I'll roll a few others once I see some other classes in action in groups.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrolan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi everyone - just joined the server and I'm trying to decide on a class. I was wondering two things:

1. Are there any classes which are especially sought after, or are currently underplayed?
2. Are there any classes which are "easier" to start with than others? Not easy as in gameplay/strategy, but easy because of things like alignment / cost for spells / cost for equipment etc.

Thanks, really excited to get started!
1. If they are sought after they are not underplayed thats just how it goes. I suppose the easiest way to answer sought after is Tank, Cleric, Chanter

2. Necro, Mage, Bard - Bard is the most gear dependent of the 3 but none really require it and all solo like a beast. Bard has a 40% xp penalty but it is negated by the swarm kiting ability.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Sarnak

It seems that you decided on a wizard. I would just like to add, they are one of the least played classes for a reason. Basically, only play a wizard if you REALLY like the class. They are good for raiding in the high end, and I assume will be useful in that respect (and porting) for Velious. However, leveling up you will likely be doing a lot of soloing.

However, I think it is a good idea to make a caster first, and maybe wizard is a good choice (not sure if they make the same cash as druids for porting or not).

As most people have said (and this could be a most played/least played, or high desirability/low desirability, it's basically the same):

Most played: Monk, Shaman. They are the most played classes for a reason. They can both solo efficiently and get in groups easily. Also, both are desired in raids. Only reason not to make one as a first character is money (monks can't carry much and need some $$ invested to start, mostly for bags).

Middle area: this is a big area that includes Enchanters, Druids, Warriors, Mages, Bards, Clerics, Shadowknights (?), Rogues. All solid classes, some are better in the lower end but lose some of their benefits later (mages, druids). Some are just a little rough to get used to for some people (bards, maybe chanter). Others are just a pain in the ass to lvl after 50 (SK). And others can't really solo too well (Clerics, Warriors, Rogues).

Low end: Wizards, Pallies, Rangers. I think wizards aren't played as much for the reasons i already mentioned. Paladin, hell I don't know, xp penalty and why play a pally when you can do more dps with an SK? Rangers have always kind of been the laughing stock on classic EQ. I personally think rangers (and Paladin) are pretty damn awesome, but yeah, the xp penalty really kills them right now.

One additional thing to consider is that likely in a few months this xp penalty will be off and people be rolling rangers/sk/pallies a lot more.

I'd suggest either sticking with your wizard for port money, or making a druid for some extra cash and then roll what you want once the xp penalty is off. Just remember, a wizard will likely be a little slower at leveling and possibly more boring.

tl;dr sorry
Old 11-09-2013, 02:03 AM
Planar Protector

Wizards are boring as all hell and not very useful in standard EXP groups. Wouldn't recommend them unless you're sure you want to play them.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:18 AM
Planar Protector

ogre war

-Shinko Guild Leader <Safe Space> Green
Old 11-09-2013, 02:57 AM
Large Bat

Hmm I was under the impression I'd be grouping a lot, not soloing. If that's the case I might shelf the wiz for a bit and try and enchanter or necro. Wiki says necros are not very sought after in groups or raids, is this true?
Pally and SK both seem like fun too - how much am I going to hate the xp penalty if I go that route?
Closed Thread