Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Orc

Default Hardest Class for a New Player

What's the most difficult class for a brand new player and why is it Bard?

In all seriousness though, I convinced a friend of mine who's never played EQ to install P99, so I was helping him pick a class. I basically just gave him advice based on how difficult the classes are to play, how gear dependent they are, how good they are at soloing, etc, and from what I know about Bard (which isn't much), it's hands down the hardest class to play. But I don't really know to what extent that's true.

Edit: I forgot to mention-- HE CHOSE BARD

Is it a huge mistake for a new EQ player to choose Bard?
How tough of a time is he going to have learning this class?
Anyone have any useful advice for him?

Thanks!
Last edited by dookieshed; 07-11-2017 at 07:25 PM..
Old 07-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Fire Giant

Cool

gotta push lotta buttons. it okay though, not many bards know what they doing anyway. he just need to know to play mana song and groups gonna tolerate him.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

Bard isn't the hardest. As masked said, they can just play either their heal song or mana song in groups and leech exp. And once they figure out how to kite, they can play easy mode for 50 levels.

For hardest class, I would say Enchanter, because no matter what they do they gotta pay a shit ton of attention to the game.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Aviak

Any tank class is the hardest.

Bard is on the far end toward easy. The more gear dependent and less solo viable class the harder it is for a new player.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

Probably warrior.

Class is dogshit without gear. Everything starts pushing your shit in around level 6 and you'll have to group to do anything.

Bards are gonna have regen and selos at low levels.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Planar Protector

Tanks are only slightly tougher than rogues. Rogues only have it easier, because a group can have 3 of them, but once in a group, their job is fairly routine, just like tanks. The clerics and enchanters do the heavy lifting of most good groups. Soloing, Tanks have an easier time of it than rogues.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Sarnak

I was going to say Bard but after considering that it's a new player, I do have to go with Warrior; the class fucking sucks without gear.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:51 PM
Sarnak

I agree that warrior is the least newbie friendly simply because they are so gear and group dependent.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard isn't the hardest. As masked said, they can just play either their heal song or mana song in groups and leech exp. And once they figure out how to kite, they can play easy mode for 50 levels.

For hardest class, I would say Enchanter, because no matter what they do they gotta pay a shit ton of attention to the game.
That's the description of a terrible bard no one will want to group with in the future though. I have a bard and an enchanter and hands down the bard was harder to play in non-perfect groups while leveling.

Bard is often asked to substitute CC when there is no Enchanter and they have to do it without AOE mez, root, runes, stuns, long durations lulls, long duration charms.

Bard isn't really gear dependant at all though and relatively decent at farming low/mid end stuff for future toons, so in that aspect they are noob friendly.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Planar Protector

For a brand new player. Warrior hands down. Gear dependent, can't just wing it without help/friends to group with often.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Closed Thread