Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:19 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Newbie Druid seeking advice

Hi, like many-- I haven't played EQ for 15 years and only recently found P99 and I feel like a complete newbie all over again. Adult life is going to keep me out of the raid scene so I figured I could start gathering materials and hire a tailor to have cultural armor created.

To cut to the chase, I am level 16 and I have started to farm all the materials (acorns/pebbles etc) for Halfling reinforced vale armor (Figure it will be the best I will have for a long time) but I noticed the Imbued Mithril that the high elves can make and its making me wonder if I chose the wrong race! That armor is equal in AC but superior in wisdom and SVM, only loses out on the stamina. Considering I may never have groups/raid groups to get the really good stuff-- the crafted might be my best gear for life-- is this suit worth changing race for ? (I really like my hide skill, going from 50 hide to 1 hide [wood elf] could that noticeably hurt the failure rate?) Even as a casual, can I gather better stuff individually rather than commit to this crafted?

Also the wiki doesn't say how rare morning dew/swirling mist/essence of moonlight is.. though I could start gathering it all very early (ak anon steam elementals at 10ish, forage from the start as a wood elf in the faydarks--only thing I don't know about are the essence of moonlight)

Any help is appreciated!
Old 07-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Fire Giant

Stick with halfling. The utility of sneak beats out whatever those dumb elves have going for them in the way of marginal stat gains on cultural armor.

50 hide skill vs 1 hide skill is the difference between "I can do it once every 5 tries" to "why the fuck did I bother making a hotkey for this?"

Essence of Moonlight is relatively easily gotten from vampires in Mistmoore but, as a druid, you probably won't have a whole lot of luck getting a group in there... or anywhere else.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Fire Giant

I wouldn't stress about armor. You can easily wear patchwork until you start quadding at 34 (when you'll need more wis) or just stick to charming and you'll never really need gear.

You'll eventually be able to buy crystal chitin or quest velious faction gear to look cool in. Maybe try to get some gear as you level (forest loops, gatorskin leggings, etc) but don't stress. Druid is probably the least gear dependent class out there.

edit to add: Halfling as a race is 'better' than wood or half elf thanks to sneak and hide. Don't focus on being 'the best' in a 17 year old game though, you'll just burn out trying to like something you don't. If you like halfling, stick to it and just enjoy the ride.
Last edited by Crawdad; 07-11-2016 at 05:43 PM..
Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for your replies guys, I put your words into practice! I wasn't paying attention to the time in kithicor and well... sneak REALLY helped on the corpse run.

Also I've really gotten into the swing of charming in the Karanas and you're right again, if you never get hit-- you never need armor. I just hope my defense doesn't fall too far behind hehe.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:30 PM
Sarnak

Halflings are an awesome choice, Pancake, and nothing is worth having to redo 16 levels for, especially armor that you don't really need anyways!
Closed Thread