Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Fire Giant

Default For Those With Spectrum (Lag/Disconnect) Issues

Hi Guys,

Here's what I found out today. This was over multiple phone calls and troubleshooting.

First: I started with Spectrum Cable. I spent over and hour on the phone with them detailing our common issue. This was that somewhere, we are losing signal and connection forcing us to time out or lag horrid.

While on the phone with them, I was reviewing the "Tracert" posted in the "Connection Issues" thread and the "Random Disconnect" thread and found a common source around the hop timeouts. I used both tracert images and sent them to technical support.

For me: "10ge2-9.core1.ash1.he.net" was a company in Fremont, CA called "Hurricane Electric". They are a 'Internet Backbone and Colocation Provider'. I called them up and to my surprise, the technician started running tests on his network looking for I/O issues. He found nothing wrong with his network but he identified the area where the issue is coming from. New York City.

He let me know they have approx 5 servers in NYC and that Project 1999 is on a Lightower network. His best guess was there is a transfer server between hurricane electric network and lightower network that is the root cause.

So I called Lightower. These guys did exactly what I expected. "I really can't help you without more data."

What data? Oh...a circut ID into Lightower or the new company name Crown Castle to identify where to look.

So, either Spectrum has the circut ID or Hurricane Electric has it, but Crown Castle/Lightower won't budge without this data.

This is as far as I got. Sorry I couldn't get any further today.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Aviak

Thanks for that, though!
Old 02-08-2018, 11:33 PM
Planar Protector

I was following your posts briefly in technical difficulties. Glad to hear you took time to try and find a resolution to your issue.

Unrelated sorta: ISP's get around to resolving bad hops on their own but generally no one knows when it will be resolved. So even if you can't make head way it will get resolved at some point. Unfortunately that could be tomorrow or a year from now.

---
Talking with spectrum people alone I give you props. I hate having to communicate with their support.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 02-08-2018 at 11:36 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 02:35 AM
Fire Giant

Thanks for working on this, Ignite! I just got home, saw this post, and ran some traces and continuous pings. I had zero dropped packets and decent latency. So, I decided to jump in game and test it out. I have zoned a couple of dozen times and switched multiple toons without any DC's. I was also having an issue with the resolving pages and they are now loading flawlessly.

Regardless of what the Lightower tech told you, they looked at their network, saw and resolved the issue. The timing is to conspicuous to be coincidence. Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to reach out to the various providers.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:54 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Talking with spectrum people alone I give you props. I hate having to communicate with their support.
Yeah, Spectrum Tier 1 is pretty bad. Could be worse though. TPX and AT&T are utter garbage, at least in our area. Give TPX 5 months to deliver a circuit with a new IP block, with instructions that are spelled out in an agreement, and they somehow managed to f-up every step of the way. Which, is sadly par for the course with them. They irritate me to now end, if you couldn't tell....
Old 02-09-2018, 05:33 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regardless of what the Lightower tech told you, they looked at their network, saw and resolved the issue. The timing is to conspicuous to be coincidence. Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to reach out to the various providers.
Haven't had any problems on red tonight. Thanks!
Red99: 60 Ranger / 60 Rogue / 60 Monk / 60 Necro / 55 Wiz / 54 Paladin / 54 Bard / 48 Druid
Old 02-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Sarnak

you saved us all! I have not DCed once today. <3 you.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:09 PM
Aviak

I was so close to signing up for a vpn, thanks for getting it fixed
Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 PM
Aviak

Thank you so much, this morning dying in HoT six times was a breeze. Not a single crash! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gnome Cleric of Bristlebane [Auld Lang Syne]

Gwin-Ashar, Lady Rattray
High Elf Enchanter of Karana [Dio]
Sibeal Lysandris
Wood Elf Ranger of Tunare [Dio]
Old 02-10-2018, 01:46 AM
Fire Giant

Glad I could help and I hope it holds.