Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 05:12 PM
Sarnak

Question Wiki discussions

I've been revamping the Najena page as I've been hunting there and have a couple questions. Is there a place here dedicated to that kind of thing, or do I have to wait for someone to actually go to the page, see that it's changed, be interested enough in that change to check the discussion page, and then (finally) have an answer to my question that I post there?

My biggest question is how to edit the generated tables for mobs, etc. It seems to pull from the respective pages, but updating those did not (yet?) update the table's entries.

If anyone could help either answer my question, or point me to the place where these things are discussed, I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been revamping the Najena page as I've been hunting there and have a couple questions. Is there a place here dedicated to that kind of thing, or do I have to wait for someone to actually go to the page, see that it's changed, be interested enough in that change to check the discussion page, and then (finally) have an answer to my question that I post there?
I don't think anyone is likely to find your question, or at least not anytime soon, if you put in a Discussion page. I've found the forum is the best place to "talk wiki", so your post here seems perfect to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My biggest question is how to edit the generated tables for mobs, etc. It seems to pull from the respective pages, but updating those did not (yet?) update the table's entries.

If anyone could help either answer my question, or point me to the place where these things are discussed, I'd appreciate it.
I really need to make a "how the wiki works" page someday. For now, the quick version is that those dynamic tables are based on categories: if an item/NPC has "[[Category: Najena]]" at the bottom, it will show up in that dynamic table on the Najena page.

There's a lag though, so if you added the category to a mob now, it might take a day or two before it shows up on the Najena page.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's a lag though, so if you added the category to a mob now, it might take a day or two before it shows up on the Najena page.
That's what I suspected. Thanks for the response!
Old 05-22-2020, 10:48 PM
Sarnak

Next question... for mobs that spawn in "various" zones like the large and greater skeletons, it doesn't seem like the wiki entry is particularly useful.

No one venturing into Najena is going to encounter a level 7 greater skeleton, for example.

I see there are some mobs (tentacle terrors) that have separate entries for the different zones they are in. Perhaps when the number of zones is larger than 3 it gets a bit cumbersome, but I think that's a better way to do it. The added benefit is that they will actually be included in the auto-generated tables.

Seems to me the best way to be to go through it zone by zone, instead of mob by mob. So if I create pages for large and greater skeletons for Najena, I will leave the other pages up until I or someone else goes to those other zones and creates more specific pages for them.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:16 AM
Planar Protector

I edit things on wiki to correct or add whenever possible, but some of the really ludecrous genius programming level command stuff I just can't handle adding in, so im better at just editing things slightly.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I edit things on wiki to correct or add whenever possible, but some of the really ludecrous genius programming level command stuff I just can't handle adding in, so im better at just editing things slightly.
You can learn more about the software the P99 wiki uses here https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*Note - Not every extension under the sun is available on the p99 wiki
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Next question... for mobs that spawn in "various" zones like the large and greater skeletons, it doesn't seem like the wiki entry is particularly useful.

No one venturing into Najena is going to encounter a level 7 greater skeleton, for example.

I see there are some mobs (tentacle terrors) that have separate entries for the different zones they are in. Perhaps when the number of zones is larger than 3 it gets a bit cumbersome, but I think that's a better way to do it. The added benefit is that they will actually be included in the auto-generated tables.

Seems to me the best way to be to go through it zone by zone, instead of mob by mob. So if I create pages for large and greater skeletons for Najena, I will leave the other pages up until I or someone else goes to those other zones and creates more specific pages for them.
This is a fairly common issue in the wiki. What I like to do for mobs like that is basically what you said: I make copies of the mob for each zone.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Ancient%20Cyclops is an example where I did that (there used to just be a single AC entry in the wiki, and it had mixed details for all the ACs). You (or any wikieditor) can easily do the same if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someday someone (probably me) needs to flesh out http://wiki.project1999.com/Editing. Unfortunately even if you learn all the "MediaWiki tricks", the wiki also has a bunch of custom templates people like Ravhin and I have made, and they tend to be poorly documented.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-23-2020 at 11:26 AM..
Old 05-28-2020, 09:36 PM
Sarnak

OK, so how do you delete a page? I created "A skeleton (Najena)", then realized I wanted the 's' in 'skeleton' capitalized so I created "A Skeleton (Najena)" and copypasta'd the contents. When I went back to the lower case one, I couldn't see a way to delete it.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
OK, so how do you delete a page? I created "A skeleton (Najena)", then realized I wanted the 's' in 'skeleton' capitalized so I created "A Skeleton (Najena)" and copypasta'd the contents. When I went back to the lower case one, I couldn't see a way to delete it.
If you're logged in, you should have tabs at the top for "edit", then "history", then "delete" (and then some others), and clicking "delete" starts the process.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:50 PM
Sarnak

I'm signed in, but there's no delete tab for me. All I have is Page / Discussion / Edit / Move / Watch.
Closed Thread