Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Fire Giant

In spite of what i said earlier i too want to encourage you to keep going as a wizard. If taken as a challenge, it can be good sport. I think its not the right class for a beginner though, mainly because you wont experience much group play and that is where the fun is (at least for me).
Old 08-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlaeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep going man. I've enjoyed reading your progress.
Thanks! In the past I haven't been much for posting progress and things like that in forums so it has been a bit of an experiment for me! I've had too much work and spent too much time in EC tunnel trying to sell what little I have the last couple of days to work on leveling any. I will say that after getting jumped by a blue kodiak in WC it is apparent that things are going to be tougher going forward. I didn't really have any problem turning him into dust but he had a lot more hps and took a lot of mana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In spite of what i said earlier i too want to encourage you to keep going as a wizard. If taken as a challenge, it can be good sport. I think its not the right class for a beginner though, mainly because you wont experience much group play and that is where the fun is (at least for me).
I do see it as challenge for sure but it might be too much of a challenge for me in the end. I've always been heavy on alts so I might start playing my rogue some as well. Having a character I'm playing more solo and one I play more for grouping fits my play style better anyway as there are going to be times I want to play but just don't have time to group effectively. Although I suppose if I picked the right class (like my old shaman or maybe an enchanter) I could do that with one character. There has been some really great discussion in this thread and it is funny just how much thought you can put into something as simple as picking a class in a video game but the shear amount of time investment required to level in Everquest makes it pretty important.

edit: spelling/grammar
Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I play my wizard. Its 53, without clicky nukes, mana robes or any of that stuff. Dont listen to the min-maxers, I like to make things go boom.
You can't "make things go boom" as a high level Wizard because everything has a shit ton of HP and higher resists. Your biggest nuke will do an average of maybe 10% health off a typical high-end group target, after taking 7 seconds to cast and if it doesn't get too resisted in the first place, and if you try to chain nuke in order to actually "make something so boom", you will just pull aggro and take too much damage.

Wizards can just hope to do a steady stream of DPS, no different than anyone else. Constantly chaining Ice Spear of the Solist + Concussion + Rend Robe is the best sustained output for a Wiz, about 100 DPS if the spells are always hitting max. That's good but there is better. If you don't have the best items, then it's a bit sad or very sad.

If you want real action and nuke potential as a Wizard, go Red server. As a low 50's Wizard, using Draughts against people in range who don't have good resists is very fun. You have actual quick kill potential, something you will not get in PvE at those levels. In terms of quick kill potential in PvE, Wizards peak at level 12.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want real action and nuke potential as a Wizard, go Red server. As a low 50's Wizard, using Draughts against people in range who don't have good resists is very fun. You have actual quick kill potential, something you will not get in PvE at those levels. In terms of quick kill potential in PvE, Wizards peak at level 12.
I could see how wizards could make players go boom in pvp for sure. Even at lvl 16 I could tell that mob hps scaled much faster than my nukes did so I believe the part about peaking at lvl 12 lol. Not sure if I'm ready to try the pvp server though.

I had a little bit of play time over the last couple of days and am now around 1.5 bubs of exp through level 17. I found some ry'gorr leggings on a vendor and managed to sell them in EC tunnel for a profit which was cool but I'm still a long way from having enough to pick up a Solist wand or any other fun wizard stuff. I trained my research skill but it wouldn't let me put additional points in it past the 16 it went to when I trained it. Even after hitting level 17 I couldn't put more training points in it. Is this a skill I can level with training points or is it all done through crafting? I did find some runes for both my level 16 spells and got someone to make them for me because I don't trust crafting anything that isn't very trivial (my apologies to the person that helped me I totally forgot to give you a tip [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ).

I recreated my rogue and now have a level 1 barb rogue named Knifewizard (knife wizards have a few spells...sneak, hide, etc. but mainly they cast Stab) I'll probably use a bit of my ry'gorr plat on some golden fire rings and a cheap Knife so I can level him a bit some too. Overall still enjoying the server and getting my classic EQ fix!
Old 08-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Aviak

I'm about to hit 55 and i share your story.

I started a few months back, with no friends or any relationships on the server at all. I had some experience from original EQ but other than that, it was a solid newb experience. No gear no nothing.

I don't regret my choice at all. I leveled up mostly in groups till about 45. Groups were not as hard to get at all as people suggest until you hit 40. I would get on lists, and assert the fact that I could port back at a moments notice etc. Go solo until you get called. Once I outleveled mistmore grouping at about 40 however, It gets tougher to get them big time.

I scored a few good groups here and there in City of Mist, but I honestly started just doing better solo kiting around dreadlands anyway. I could just keep getting clarities regularly from KC and work around the castle easy. Did that from 45-53. Been doing velious stuff since then solo still.

I enjoy groups more, but by the time it gets hard to groups, quad kiting is a very real, and very good option. I like kiting too, so the mix of pace of all kinds of things to do as a wizard, coupled up with our porting abilities mean we can be all over the place and be very flexible.

One more piece of advice.... Score whatever newb gear that makes sense on the cheap, but save save save every plat you can for Jboots. Its the best investment you can make for a long time as a wizard in my opinion.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalex716 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm about to hit 55 and i share your story.

I started a few months back, with no friends or any relationships on the server at all. I had some experience from original EQ but other than that, it was a solid newb experience. No gear no nothing.

I don't regret my choice at all. I leveled up mostly in groups till about 45. Groups were not as hard to get at all as people suggest until you hit 40. I would get on lists, and assert the fact that I could port back at a moments notice etc. Go solo until you get called. Once I outleveled mistmore grouping at about 40 however, It gets tougher to get them big time.

I scored a few good groups here and there in City of Mist, but I honestly started just doing better solo kiting around dreadlands anyway. I could just keep getting clarities regularly from KC and work around the castle easy. Did that from 45-53. Been doing velious stuff since then solo still.

I enjoy groups more, but by the time it gets hard to groups, quad kiting is a very real, and very good option. I like kiting too, so the mix of pace of all kinds of things to do as a wizard, coupled up with our porting abilities mean we can be all over the place and be very flexible.

One more piece of advice.... Score whatever newb gear that makes sense on the cheap, but save save save every plat you can for Jboots. Its the best investment you can make for a long time as a wizard in my opinion.
Awesome post! Good to hear a story from someone who has rolled a wizard pretty recently! I've definitely had jboots on my mind when I'm buying and selling so far. They are a long way off for me but they are an item I never had much need for on live (mained shaman) but always coveted for my rogue and mage alts. I can see how they are almost a must for a kiting wizard.
Closed Thread