Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 07-21-2023, 06:30 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People in 1999 used to literally form groups to kill 2 or 3 mobs at outdoor camps that nobody touches now. The server populations were much higher, and since nobody really knew wtf they were doing they would just kill anything that conned blue. So yes there were guaranteed tons of people killing random shit in SK because they didn't know any better, who are not doing that now. So if popping quillmane is just a matter of running around clearing every conceivable placeholder, you should have seen her more often in 1999 than you do now. I played on povar from launch until 2002 after luclin was out and I only saw quillmane once, and would occasionally hear stories about other people killing her, basically always by just randomly finding her while passing through the zone. There were absolutely zero guilds requiring members to have quillmane cloaks, much less selling the loot rights to them.
I lived in SK as a druid back in 1999 and I can say I only seen QM once. That zone was always camped, probably 70-80 people easy. It was a ta apoint where nothing would even be on tracking because people all levels were killing..from 10-35ish.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:42 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
According to the interview the downtime was long because "Brad" thought it would be cool for players to shoot the shit for 36 minutes between spawns. I don't know about you but if you wanted to just shoot the shit with others you could just join a chat room. Brad was way off what he imagined how people would play this game. Sure there is a social aspect to it but to build spawn timers around that notion is crazy.
That's an insane reduction of what was actually going on. The social aspect of the game *was* a massive piece of the game back then. People *did* log in just to use it as a chat room.

And for a vast majority, it's not like they were killing one single spawn then sitting and waiting for 36* minutes. People were shit at the game and had bad gear and did bad damage. Holding a camp was not what it is today.

*interesting that you choose a number that's almost double the average respawn time of a dungeon, too.

"According to the interview the downtime was long because "Brad" thought it would be cool for players to shoot the shit for 36 minutes between spawns." Link?
Old 07-22-2023, 07:33 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanifac [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's an insane reduction of what was actually going on. The social aspect of the game *was* a massive piece of the game back then. People *did* log in just to use it as a chat room.

And for a vast majority, it's not like they were killing one single spawn then sitting and waiting for 36* minutes. People were shit at the game and had bad gear and did bad damage. Holding a camp was not what it is today.

*interesting that you choose a number that's almost double the average respawn time of a dungeon, too.

"According to the interview the downtime was long because "Brad" thought it would be cool for players to shoot the shit for 36 minutes between spawns." Link?
Somewhere before the hour mark not sure I remember the time
Old 07-22-2023, 08:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanifac [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

fights took freaking ages cos you'd see rogues with tarnished spear at hhk goblins cos they didn't have a bronze spear drop when they were doing orcs/gnolls.

Paladin tank, 3 priests, a wizard with no mana and a rogue. Classic group comp. Takes 3 mins to kill 1 blue. Takes 3 mins to recover. 6 mins / mob, room of 3 mobs = 18 mins of kills. Wiggle room for bio breaks / keeping spawns spaced.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 07-22-2023, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladin tank, 3 priests, a wizard with no mana and a rogue. Classic group comp. Takes 3 mins to kill 1 blue. Takes 3 mins to recover. 6 mins / mob, room of 3 mobs = 18 mins of kills. Wiggle room for bio breaks / keeping spawns spaced.
This guy classic EQ'd
Old 07-23-2023, 10:03 PM
Banned

Honestly the downtime really was a huge part of the social experience. These days in groups I've noticed people rarely talk, the pulling might be non-stop but it doesn't really feel like a group.

I was actually kind of reminded of that old social experience during the early days of green when all the /list camps were in. They were brutal, but it kind of felt like you were in the trenches with these other people and there was a lot of socializing when I did them (only did guise and rubi bp). I bumped into a guy a few months ago who I was at the guise camp with and we actually both remembered eachother.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:11 AM
Planar Protector

I liked /list. Personally I really started feeling invested in the success of other people I saw going through lists at the same time as me. Having a system that encouraged people to spend downtime together created an experience which reminded me of classic sociability.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 07-24-2023, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

This guy just spouts random stuff as though he has knowledge. The more he posts the more it's clear he didn't actually play during the classic era. Probably joined during SOL or something
Old 07-27-2023, 08:26 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This guy just spouts random stuff as though he has knowledge. The more he posts the more it's clear he didn't actually play during the classic era. Probably joined during SOL or something
I posted the link just watch the interview. I played during classic because my warrior dual wielded PGTs when they were pending lore. That shit was made lore well before manastone was taken out or jboots moved.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I posted the link just watch the interview. I played during classic because my warrior dual wielded PGTs when they were pending lore. That shit was made lore well before manastone was taken out or jboots moved.
I'm surprised you played during classic yet talk like you have zero knowledge of the game