Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 09:28 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By that standard, putting any window over the EQ client window would also be banned.
Just like I said many posts prior, there would be lawyering over this.

Technically you are correct, except that in the context you describe it would be for the purpose of providing "an unintended advantage".
http://wiki.project1999.com/Merged_R...n_Project_1999
Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it didn't write to the render buffer, nothing would be drawn. Pretty sure noone is hallucinating when they see the overlay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framebuffer
That's not how it works.

GINA simply shows non-interactive, transparent windows on your computer. You can move or close EQ without affecting GINA windows at all.

You don't even need EQ running to have GINA windows displayed.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:32 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your lack of technical understanding here is difficult to work with. Please stop linking me to random shit you've googled. If I decide to drag my Spotify window over the top of my Everquest game, do you think that magically hooks into the game client? Or is it perhaps just how a windowing OS happens to function?

It's just a windowed application man. That's why, for instance, if you exit of out of EQ while GINA is still running, I end up with a bunch of GINA overlays on my desktop. It's 100% independent of the Everquest process and does not do any sort of hooking, interception, nor injection.
I never stated it actually interacts with the game client's binary or OS reserved memory, I described what it was doing to the video cards render buffer, and I was explicit that this was shared space not owned by any particular application. You can lawyer the render buffer being shared space so not mattering if you like, that is fine; I disagree of course. However, I'm a software engineer, specifically a game developer, so I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never stated it actually interacts with the game client's binary or OS reserved memory, I described what it was doing to the video cards render buffer, and I was explicit that this was shared space not owned by any particular application. You can lawyer the render buffer being shared space so not mattering if you like, that is fine; I disagree of course. However, I'm a software engineer, specifically a game developer, so I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Are you suggesting that nothing other than EQ should be rendered/visible?
Old 10-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
However, I'm a software engineer, specifically a game developer, so I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Hahaha. Okay, I see this is a troll post, nobody can be simultaneously both this arrogant and utterly ignorant.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:37 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekova [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you suggesting that nothing other than EQ should be rendered/visible?
Not at all. I'm suggesting any program that draws in the same pixel space as the EQ game client for the purpose of giving an unintended advantage, should not be allowed.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hahaha. Okay, I see this is a troll post, nobody can be simultaneously both this arrogant and utterly ignorant.
None of you plebs even knew what a Frame Buffer was, it's like I got on the short bus and started arguing what the best flavor of jelly is.

I'm out.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Kobold

I feel like if staff watched Kelza's video on the bastardization of P99 as mentioned earlier in the thread they would double down on killing some of logging if possible on Green.

The level of workarounds is just ridiculous. Camp bound to the same key as Feign Death so that it has something to parse to start a timer. Sneak using some kind of /tar Kelza and clicky double bound macro IDK to let him know whether or not sneak succeeded instantly.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Not at all. I'm suggesting any program that draws in the same pixel space as the EQ game client for the purpose of giving an unintended advantage, should not be allowed.
How would you go about telling the difference between the GINA overlays and my picture of my cat that I like to have overlayed on my EQ game client?
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 10-16-2019, 09:40 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
You know you can put the timers outside the window right... Because they're separate windowed overlays that do not affect the game client whatsoever. That's how a lot of people use GINA and similar, because we don't want to occlude the game visuals and instead use the ample empty space on our modern monitors. My overlays are adjacent to the EQ window.
Closed Thread