Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 09-07-2023, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks are way better in small group comp. Rogues do more dps and can Rogue-Hide to drag corpses and scout for the group. Mages are decent dps in groups, but don't bring much else. Don't get me wrong, they are a solid class, but any class in their tier would be better because of the utility they bring. Mages have absolutely no utility abilities. Outside of decent DPS, they are completely useless. I want to point out, that at the time that Loraen wrote this guide, mages could still solo pretty well. Now because of the bugged/nerfed? aggro mechanics, chain summoning doesn't work, so the only place a mage could really function is as a ok dps class in a full group.
Notice you’re bringing in multiple classes to try to out do a mage. Mages check off a lot of boxes, hence why loraen put them in the top 5. Overall solid class, OP wasn’t asking about monks/rogues either.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure mages are a fine 5th or 6th.

Fit one in a trio and tell me its one of the best options.
It’s not about best. If you want that let’s start a 500 page thread about best trio lol. Or make 1 of every class to check every box. Mages overall are pretty good.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks are way better in small group comp. Rogues do more dps and can Rogue-Hide to drag corpses and scout for the group. Mages are decent dps in groups, but don't bring much else. Don't get me wrong, they are a solid class, but any class in their tier would be better because of the utility they bring. Mages have absolutely no utility abilities. Outside of decent DPS, they are completely useless. I want to point out, that at the time that Loraen wrote this guide, mages could still solo pretty well. Now because of the bugged/nerfed? aggro mechanics, chain summoning doesn't work, so the only place a mage could really function is as a ok dps class in a full group.
Have you ever played one?

Chain summoning isn’t broken, it just isn’t instant. One taunt and and it’s back on the pet. Or one root if using an earth. Issue is chain summoning is pretty stupid unless you want to stunt kill something.

A mage is just highly specific. You don’t have lure nukes. You do have mala. You don’t have dots or roots, you do have DS and Coth. As Crede says being able to focus on a few things means you can easily succeed at those. I don’t often prefer my mage over my melees but often bring it as a +1 DPS to help guildies because I don’t want to de-park. Most the time it’s high on the parse if not the highest.

Mage, cleric, enchanter. That’s your trio magic. A well played ench doesn’t need a shaman. The mage pet will keep tough stuff from summoning on the ench charm break. Mala for what you are killing, malosini for charmed pet, DS, etc.
Last edited by Snaggles; 09-07-2023 at 09:48 AM..
Old 09-07-2023, 09:57 AM
Planar Protector

Best trio doesn’t involve any melee.

Ench + ench + cleric
Ench + ench + ench
Ench + cleric + necro

Notice a trend? Any best trio has ench and cleric plus one other.

Pretty much in that order, only marginally shuffled depending on content you want to hunt. If it needs or really would benefit a FD - sub in the necro/monk/sk. A mage would slide into the group fantastically but it’s not going to be ”best”.

It will, however, be better than most other choices.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 09-07-2023, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want that let’s start a 500 page thread about best trio lol.
Can the title of the thread be "Best race for SHM/PAL/SK, regen vs FSI, and best trio.. correct answers only"
Old 09-07-2023, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s not about best. If you want that let’s start a 500 page thread about best trio lol. Or make 1 of every class to check every box. Mages overall are pretty good.
It doesn't have to be about best. Mage is always a bottom tier option pretty much across the board unless you're already 4 or 5 people with all the boxes checked.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It doesn't have to be about best. Mage is always a bottom tier option pretty much across the board unless you're already 4 or 5 people with all the boxes checked.
I don’t see it this way. They can keep pace with any other dps class(exceeding them from time to time) but you get the added bonus of burst dps and malo/coth/mod rods as needed. I think it’s a good class for OP starting fresh if not doing enc/necro but still wanting a range of options.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can the title of the thread be "Best race for SHM/PAL/SK, regen vs FSI, and best trio.. correct answers only"
Lol. That would def go 1k pages.
Old 09-07-2023, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

How to have fun on a mage:

Did you know you can level from 20 to 60 in Highkeep exclusively? Anyways...

Be 50. Have epic. Make a series of macros of all the named mobs (dyrna, boshinko, carson, lady mccabe, a noble, a guard, Lozani, ya know, the whole crew.) and sit in the basement by Dyrna. Now mash those macros. Your pet will warp around the zone, considering the Z-axis more of a suggestion, and delete the entire zone. If things get hairy, either run out or just bind outside.

At 56, all that's left is the 3 Bodyguard room (it cracks me up how many people don't even know these mobs exist) - you need to split them, then you can Guard your pet in the room and definitely don't go to sleep. Congrats on 60. Now sac back down to 50 and do it again. (Yes, I've done this twice now.)
Old 09-07-2023, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cool i can show parses of me beating them on ranger, if we just wanna spam parses. Ive raided lot longer than you have i get what they are.
Rangers and Mages are the two most fun classes to level while raid twinked. I guess Necro too.

But yeah, Rangers are criminally underrated, and super fun to level. This assumes aggressive twinking, which is sort of implied when "Project 1999" and "fun" are in the same paragraph.