Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Aviak

Default Mellee miss rate seems excessively high.

I've been running around with a L12 warrior, 65 offense/2h slash/kick, and a FS2h Sword, atk 317, and the miss rates I've seen are rather silly. Even attacking a light blue, I've lost a few fights due to chain misses where I'll completley miss like 5-8 times in a row, and times where I'll get gimped damage hits for close to 10 in a row, mixed in with misses. I honestly dont remember the miss rates being so bad in classic EQ, but I know I didnt die nearly as much there as I do now. Dunno if im doing somethign wrong, or what, but its rather aggravating.

Yes, I checked several pages, and no, I couldnt find any other complaints about the miss rate, so I figgured I'd post.
Since this thread is getting a little long and somewhat offtopic in spots im editing the original post to try and keep things organised and in one spot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4124845...55258/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4124845...40385/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4124845...23982/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4124845...62724/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4124845...27143/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4124845...25965/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4124845...47565/sizes/l/

Adding up all the hit/miss ratio I've come up with 90 total attacks, 32 of thoes were total misses, and 37 gimped damage So for a level 12 warrior fignting a level 5ish mob a miss rate of 35%, and a gimped damage rate of about 41%, and an actual effective hit rate of 14%... Thats pretty bad considering im attacking something 7 levels lower... I mean, only doing full hit damage 14% of the time to a target thats much lower level??? There isnt something wrong with that?

I dont know, somehow, this really just doesnt seem correct. The miss rate seems atleast twice as high as what I remember it being when I was farming BB gnolls for fangs, faction, and exp. I used to solo the elite ledge at 15 without any issues, but I really dont see that happening in another 3 levels on this server on account of how Melee combat works.

Anyways, here's a constructive suggestion on how to fix it. I hope its workable.

Look at it from this perspective.. Say the base miss rate actually is 35%. (Im using an arbitrary number close to what im experiencing, Its the dev's place to decide what the actual value should really be). it should then be modified, by mob's skill in defense+ac vs the attackers offense+weaponskill/2 + Atk. This means that a warrior with max skills fighting a mob his own level, will still have a chance of missing, even with max weapon skill. It also means, that if he uses a weapon he's unskilled in, he's going to have a higher chance of missing until he gets his skill up. Example is below.

A level 5 gnoll should have a defense skill of 30, and lets say an ac of 100. If we take a level 5 warrior, with an offense of 30, and a weapon skill of 30, add em, and divide by 2, we get 30. Add in the ATK of 100 (or whatever due to gear), and you come up with an even value between the two. Which means that warrior should have a base miss rate of 35%, which it actually is..

Now, take that same level 5 gnoll, and attack it with a level 12 warrior with an offense of 65, and weapon skill of 65, for a TV of 65 Lets say the ATK is now 200. The warriors base skill, is 35 points higher than the defense of the gnoll, and the ATK is 100 points higher... Why does it still take just as long to kill the gnoll if the current system isnt broken? Even if you cut the values in half, you should still have atleast a 17% bonus to hit the gnoll due to level, which would make your base miss rate 18%, and since I cant say for sure what the ATK vs AC value does, (Perhaps it affects how often you get a "full damage" hit and the damage scaling), you should not only be missing ALOT less, but doing more full damage hits...

This still means that even with max skills, fighting a mob your own level, your still going to miss alot of the time, but it definatley would fix the problem of getting your ass handed to you by a lt.blue or green mob because you cant friggin hit it on a regular basis, and when you do, your only doing a couple points of damage. Assuming it works both ways, it could also easily fix the AC issue as well.. Meaning, that a level 5 gnoll should not be hitting a level 12 warrior as often, or for as much damage due to the ATK vs AC modifier.
Last edited by Morndenkainen; 05-18-2010 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Added a suggestion for an actual fix, and consolidated post.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Sarnak

I must agree completely that the melee system here seems... off. Perhaps it is an intentional way to keep things challenging, but it is certainly there.

As the poster has stated and myself have noticed, it seems almost like weapon skill has NO BEARING on your chance to land hits, nor does your level in comparison to the mob. For example as a low level cleric, fighting mobs in Butcher Block, from level 1-6 I made no progress in the rate that I was able to kill the level 1 skeleton mobs except when upgrading the damage of my weapon or throwing spells into the mix.

I use a cracked 2h staff which hits for a maximum of 10 at the moment, however even on green con level 1 skeletons, being 5 levels higher than them, a majority of my hits are either A) Complete Misses, or B) Only hit for 1 point of damage.

I have a very clear recollection of how the game was in '99, and I think this issue needs to be addressed asap. The con system seems to have absolutely no bearing on the difficulty of encounters here because of this flawed melee system . I've had to run from blue con fights due to an overwhelming amount of complete misses in combat which certainly should not happen when you engage a blue with full health/mana.

-Ruinous
Cleric of Brell Serilis
Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Aviak

Yeah, I just fought a green scrawny gnoll guard in the everfrost - blackburrow tunnel... Took about 16 swings to kill him... 8 of which were outright misses and 4 of which were largely reduced damage... 2 of the kicks did full damage, 1 swing did full damage, and 1 swing was reduced by 2...

Just sayin, that seems rather excessive for a mob that's green to a level 12 char.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Aviak

Yeah, this is gonna come off as bitching but screw it... I just got WTFPWN'D by a blue gnoll in blackburrow because somehow I just couldnt hit it... This issue seriously needs to be fixed, because I used to farm here from levels 8-15 or so on live and once I hit 10, I didnt have any of the issues that I do here.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Sarnak

I don't see much response from devs on the posts in this section so we're probably talking to a wall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Guess we'll have to accept the SoE motto of "working as intended"!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Aviak

Well, if thats the case I definatley dont see myself sticking around terribly long. A level 12 warrior getting beaten by a light blue because he cant hit it is complete crap, and being forced to play certian classes just to survive isnt my idea of a good time. Its actually rather pathetic, I think there's been a net LOSS of xp today due to the number of times a FAR lower level mob has just utterly wiped the floor with me through no fault of my own that I can see... Never did anything stupid, and it was pretty much 1v1 fights that killed me... Hell, even greens still managed to do a significant amount of damage... 25-40% hps... And my AC is 252... Fighting with a warrior appears to be a joke. Maybe its time to go play an uber class... Caster with a pet that has insane regen and doesnt miss, here I come.
Last edited by Morndenkainen; 05-17-2010 at 10:22 PM..
Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Sarnak

Lol. I've got an almost full set of bronze / FS gear on and got roflstomped by a blue basilisk in BB. But wait, I managed to take him down to 88%!

/flex
Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinous [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't see much response from devs on the posts in this section so we're probably talking to a wall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Guess we'll have to accept the SoE motto of "working as intended"!
Who are you?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Sarnak

A concerned observer. Who are you?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Planar Protector

This is more ridiculous than a one-handed dude on a bard camping an AC ring for j-boots for his bard twink.

How about both of you stop trying to solo blues and join some groups actually looking for tanks (get yourself to Unrest, warrior!) and healers (go to Orc Hill in Gfay, cleric!) for more efficient XP gain?

Or, considering the massive delay on the 2H weapons you're both trying to use makes it excessively painful when you miss and have to wait around for the next swing while the mob attacks you 4-5 times at 1H speeds... try switching to 1HS/1HB weapons.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Closed Thread