Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So things like P99 are a nostalgia trip for more reason than it being the hot game during our youth.
"Our" youth? Whippersnappers maybe. Pong and Atari VCS were the games of my youth. Didn't have a decent PC until much later. Yanno, maybe what goes around comes around and what's old is new: Before PC gaming kind of branched off into its own entity, I recall my Commodore 64 essentially ran ports of regular console games, like Atari-type games. Even used the same controller. Now we're more or less back to that point. Maybe in 10 or 20 years it'll go back the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I recently watched my niece play Roblox. The graphics in some reminded me of early EQ. She plays on a tablet.
There's a silver lining: Thanks to stuff like Roblox, Minecraft, Terraria, etc, today's generation isn't going to grow up thinking graphics > all else like the 90's children did. Much like your niece, my daughter understands already that how a game looks doesn't necessarily reflect how much fun it is or isn't. I don't know how much use studios will make of that cultural shift, but the opportunity is there.

Danth
Old 07-14-2021, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

(Can't edit in RnF)

Part of the reason for the convergence of PC and console/mobile gaming is that the thing PCs do best--simulations and virtual worlds--have gone out of fashion. Beyond EQ and its ilk, the 90's were a glorious era for flight sims of all types, space flight pseudo-sims, you name it, lot of folks wanted realism or at least the trappings of realism that couldn't readily be accomplished on a console. That's not so much the case these days. Maybe the whims of fashion will come back around, maybe not.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:05 PM
Banned

Oh its not just the whims of fashion, there is a whole lot more to it brudda
Closed Thread