Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm ready! Ask a poor man anything-
Anything? Ok to get back on topic…

How many similarities can you spot between the Jan 6 riot and the overthrow of the Afghanistan government

Conversely, how many differences can you spot?
Old 08-19-2021, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wow they say all this is because biden went against advice of his commanders just so he could be the guy that ended the afganastan war on 9/11 that is like something Id expect to hear from FOX
The Wall Street Journal and Fox News are both owned by the same people.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

So we should lower our nat'l standards by comparing an American form of extremism to an older, more entrenched version abroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How many similarities can you spot between the Jan 6 riot and the overthrow of the Afghanistan government
At least one—psychological.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanaticism

The mishandling of this withdrawal, the immediate fallout and long-term effects are all worthwhile topics to discuss but not while being set against the backdrop of January 6th to make the insurrection seem benign. Any two things can be used in a compare and contrast to make one seem less bad, that doesn't suddenly make it not bad.

Also, call Afghanistan a shithole if you want, but that hole has avoided getting its shit pushed in time and again throughout history.

https://www.quora.com/Did-Alexander-...er-Afghanistan
Last edited by Ennewi; 08-19-2021 at 03:00 PM..
Old 08-19-2021, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wicked burn bro. Dunno how I’m able to pay my mortgage on the 350k home I own with such a low IQ. How’s your living situation?
350k? Is that a lot or something? I'm guessing based on this post and this comment you live in some random town in like the midwest where 350k is considered a lot of money?

Get into mid-7 figures and then we'll talk you bad ass [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-19-2021, 02:53 PM
Banned

guy with glasses is def a secret agent man but i dont want him to die cuz i made this dumb comment praying for them

also, i'm with the guy saying this is the rise of an islamic caliphate, erdy boy thinks he can control it but it will devour that region once he installs it and these guys will all ware pins on their left lapels but with an islamic flag gg over folks
Old 08-19-2021, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lt. Commander Navy Seal (10 years on teams)
1x bronze star, 1x bronze star w/ V, Purple Heart, NMCC with valor
5 tours, iraq/afghanistan
Lost 1.5 eyes in an IED, Afghanistan.
Currently in 2nd term representing Texas' 2nd congressional district

This guy is more qualified to comment on afghanistan than anyone, anywhere.
More than Afghans themselves?
Old 08-19-2021, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Wrong thread. Partial blame goes to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We already have a thread for this topic, please try to keep it contained to that thread.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=390020
Old 08-19-2021, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More than Afghans themselves?
Are you going to try to justify the taliban because they have supporters?

You think the Austrians in 1940 were more qualified than anyone else to determine their future and they made good choices?
Old 08-19-2021, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
350k? Is that a lot or something? I'm guessing based on this post and this comment you live in some random town in like the midwest where 350k is considered a lot of money?

Get into mid-7 figures and then we'll talk you bad ass [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s enough to demonstrate I’m probably not legally retarded like you suggested, genius
Old 08-19-2021, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by walfreyydo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Something tells me we should have probably evacuated the 15,000 Americans still trapped there, and gotten the 80,000 Afghan SIV's their visa's BEFORE closing Bagram and pulling out all our troops... seems like that should have come first... It doesnt help that our State Dept has been completely defunded by the previous admin and cannot get visas and background checks done for the afghans.

I dont know but it feels like common sense to me, to not assume we would have "time" to do that later... I blame the military and civilian leadership from both the Biden and Trump administration. I think they both played a part in this debacle and both bear responsibility.

Regardless of what political side of the isle you are on, the lack of planning and contingencies is unacceptable and just sad.
I see what you're trying to say, but respectfully this is too simple of a way of looking at it.

The reality is that the second we decided to pull out the police and security forces started taking bribes from the Taliban or just abandoning their posts altogether. That's what led to the Taliban's rapid advance. So if you start evacuating Americans and getting Afghans visas before you commit to a pull out, the same thing would happen; people would just realize that meant the Americans were going to announce a pullout soon and they'd start accepting surrender bribes/deserting just like they did in the current scenario.
Closed Thread