Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 06:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any other exaggerated concerns that don’t actually apply the the majority of people on these meds?
Akathisia is another common EPS. 32, 46, 53-55 Akathisia is distinct in being defined by subjective as well as objective features, more often affecting the lower extremities, remaining a problem even with SGAs, and being less responsive to treatment. Subjectively, patients complain of inner tension, restlessness, anxiety, urge to move and inability to sit still, and drawing sensations in the legs. Observable motor features are complex, semi-purposeful and repetitive, including foot shuffling or tapping, shifting of weight, rocking, pacing incessantly and even running. Although the severity of these sensations varies with stress and arousal, they can become intolerable and have been associated with violence and suicide

Akathisia may begin within several days after treatment but usually increases with duration of treatment, occurring in up to 50% of cases within one month and 90% of cases within three months. 32 Akathisia should resolve after drug discontinuation, but could temporarily worsen or persist in withdrawal or tardive forms.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Although dopamine receptor blockade occurs within a few hours after administration of antipsychotic drugs, the onset of parkinsonism may be delayed from days to weeks, with 50% to 75% of cases occurring within one month and 90% within three months.
Yep, so I would have seen it in people I’ve seeing who have been on these meds for years

Also their doctors are conducting monthly follow ups and monitoring for side effects like these. They are not going to continue to knowingly prescribe something giving someone painful, impeding, or uncomfortable side effects

Psychiatrists are MEDICAL doctors. They take a Hippocratic oath, same as the medical field
Old 09-15-2021, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

In contrast to acute EPS, TD is insidious in onset, arises only after prolonged treatment and is often masked by ongoing treatment. In addition, TD is irreversible in most cases but usually mild, whereas acute EPS are transient but unmistakable and incapacitating. Even so, TD can become socially disfiguring and severe enough to compromise eating, speaking, breathing or ambulation.

TD presents as a polymorphous involuntary movement disorder.32, 87, 88 In its most common form, TD is characterized by involuntary, non-rhythmic, repetitive, purposeless hyperkinetic movements. Most often, TD affects orofacial and lingual musculature (“buccolinguomasticatory syndrome”) with chewing or bruxism of the jaw, protrusion, curling or twisting of the tongue, lip smacking, puckering, sucking and pursing, retraction, grimacing or bridling of the mouth, bulging of the cheeks, or eye blinking and blepharospasm. Choreoathetoid movements of the fingers, hands, upper or lower extremities are common. Axial symptoms affecting the neck, shoulders, spine or pelvis may be observed. Dyskinesias can affect breathing, swallowing or speech.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

Really they're miracle drugs that give people their lives back.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, so I would have seen it in people I’ve seeing who have been on these meds for years

Also their doctors are conducting monthly follow ups and monitoring for side effects like these. They are not going to continue to knowingly prescribe something giving someone painful, impeding, or uncomfortable side effects

Psychiatrists are MEDICAL doctors. They take a Hippocratic oath, same as the medical field
You wanna believe that so badly.

i·at·ro·gen·ic
/īˌatrəˈjenik/
adjective
relating to illness caused by medical examination or treatment.
"drugs may cause side effects which can lead to iatrogenic disease"
Old 09-15-2021, 06:08 PM
Banned

You can keep pasting paragraphs about TD. In 14 years and thousands of patients I’ve seen it one time, in a 60yr old man who had been prescribed Halodol for 10+ years

It’s not even remotely common. I can’t even call it rare. It’s basically almost non-existent

But paste a few more paragraphs on it whenever
Old 09-15-2021, 06:11 PM
Banned

Look I’m tired of arguing with a moron

If you want to tell people in whatever medical position I dread you getting, that antipsychotics are terrible and advise family members and patients to just suffer through the symptoms of schizophrenia without pharmacological assistance that’s on you

Even if you don’t have a conscience that will care about the harm you are doing, I hope the clinic you end up working for has good liability/malpractice insurance

It’s your call, Tom Cruise
Old 09-15-2021, 06:12 PM
Planar Protector

*smacks lips*

I don't think it's possible for you to consider that psych drugs might actually be causing illness. How would that be possible? A medical doctor prescribed it. Adderall is psychosis as Wellbutrin is to bipolar.

First, assume no liability.

I don't see why you're being abusive to me for stating the FACT that extended treatment with antipsychotics carries a significant risk of developing permanent, debilitating side effects which are 100% due to the use of antipsychotics.
Last edited by Cecily; 09-15-2021 at 06:26 PM..
Old 09-15-2021, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You can keep pasting paragraphs about TD. In 14 years and thousands of patients I’ve seen it one time, in a 60yr old man who had been prescribed Halodol for 10+ years

It’s not even remotely common. I can’t even call it rare. It’s basically almost non-existent

But paste a few more paragraphs on it whenever
Your thousands of schizophrenic patients on antipsychotics? Or was it more like 100-200 schizophrenic patients on antipsychotics? So with an annual TD incident rate of 0.9% on second generation antipsychotics, you have have seen up to two cases? Or was it 100 schizophrenics on antipsychotics in 14 years? Was it that many? Or was that just a super useful anecdote?

1% annual rate is small until you think of a million people getting prescriptions for SGAs. It's quite a bit higher for first gen. And that statistic doesn't account for lifetime risk to an individuals. It's hardly insignificant.

Furthermore, doesn't it make you feel bad at all that the treatment used induced a permanent motor disability in even ONE individual under your care?
Last edited by Cecily; 09-15-2021 at 06:39 PM..
Old 09-15-2021, 06:39 PM
Banned

They probably see people a few days out of the year to set up whatever welfare and disability they will be on for the rest of their lives while they rapidly deteriorate and die from personal neglect and suicide.

I have more hallucinations since the drugs they put me on. The difference being I know that shit isn't real. Those drugs fucked me up. And gave me more. Just permanently wrecked my brain and perception.

I was a gorgeous 6/10 in great shape. All they had to do was give me something to chill out with instead of leaving me trapped with someone giving me PTSD panic anxiety attacks. So that I could put my therapy to use, my DBT and zen to use. And so that I wasn't constantly reinjuring and wiping myself out trying to cope with situations that where dangerous and stressful.

That person is gone outa my life. My life is better. It's not easier. It's better. My long relationship with my long time housemate has improved. Things are better. My relationships with acquaintances are better. I'm less suicidal.

The drugs didn't help and chipped away at my capacity to cope. I have a great wisdom and deep understanding of dealing with emotional hardship.

The problem isn't, wasn't me. That doesn't mean that I can't do better. I can certainly tell you in my case drugs are unhelpful.

I made this thread because of whale biologist tho. It's not really about people addicted to serotonin.
Last edited by starkind; 09-15-2021 at 06:43 PM..
Closed Thread