Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Default sk pets

playing a SK alt on a casual basis wheni cant be bothered to grind on my main etc

I know sk pets are pretty wimpy, even a bit of a joke. HOwever they are simply form of dot damage, and not a tank like necros have.

Max lvl of 37 is kinda poor, but thats enough for occasional use.....[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

which pet starts to dual wield....the lvl 19 one?

ANyone compiled a list of viable pet weapons for sk pets? DUe to low lvl the range of weaponsis bad, but some proccers in there.

AM I right in thinking that pets can dual wield two handers? Ive seen necro pets with a scythes in each hand before. Or is that nerfed on p99?

I spotted a decent pet toy in velious:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Kromrif_Laborer_Pick

no special procs or ubber high damage, but pretty easy to farm.

trying to wade through the vast choice of weapons pre velious atmo. Will try and make a list, but hoping theres one out there already.....

Othere than muzzle of mardu, anyone got other fav items to give the pet? Like armour or shield etc. I know pets only have 8 ? slots or something.

assume all the sk pets are WAR class, no back stabs.

Anyone still use theirs after lvl 50 ? (aside from farming faction/green mobs) Best used for fear kiting I assume; dual weilding gnoll hide lariats is an obvious one for doing this....not rocket science tbh)

I need to find it again, but theres a clr weapon somewhere that procs a decent dd against undead......although again pet lvl is the snag on that.

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Last edited by blondeattk; 02-23-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Old 02-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

The first pet I recall dual wielding is the level 49 pet. It has a level range of 5 levels, hits from 20 to 28. Only the thee highest level versions will dual wield (the ones that hit from 24, 26, or 28) and must be given weapons to do so. The level 52 pet can always dual wield if given weapons. The highest level version of it (hits for 39) dual wields innately. The level 58 pet (equivalent of the 44 Necromancer pet) always dual wields innately, so no more fussing with pet weapons. The best version of this pet hits for 47 and all versions of it can proc an 11 point lifetap.

I almost never give my pet weapons. They don't help a lot. It's hard to find a weapon that'll give it a hit higher than 47, and most procs tend to be resisted due to the pet's relatively low level. I've tried things like gnoll hide lariats without much success.

The level 30 and particularly the level 39 pets are the worst of them. I suspect these two pets are a big part of the reason for Shadow Knight pets having such a poor reputation. The 39 pet is hardly worth the mana summoning it; its only difference from the outdated 30 pet is it gets one more level (max hit 22) which double attacks on rare occasions. Yuck. The level 52 and particularly the level 58 pets are not to be underestimated. My pet consistently outdamages the "Spirit of the Howler" pet my wife's Shaman uses on account the Shaman pet being unable to dual wield, and nobody calls Shaman pets worthless.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 02-23-2014 at 05:15 PM..
Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

The problem with Shadowknight pets is that the pet level is so, so, so low compared to the monster you're fighting that it does not hit very often/for much damage. As a Necromancer I can't stand having light blue conned pets. Green pet? Ugh wasting my time, he won't hit the monster while fear kiting.

Verant really should have given Shadowknights different pet spells that conned blue but hit for reduced damage.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

Think of the pet as an extra kick.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Kobold

the quadding up to 47 dmg one is way more than a kick and is huge dps when soloing!

Also, around 1300 hps if memory serves, helps him take a beating to some extent [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

thanks danth, some good info.

COmpiled a partial weapon list atmo, mostly of 2 handers. Will type it up when am sober.....

"Shaman pet being unable to dual wield, and nobody calls Shaman pets worthless." shammy pets nerfed to hell on p99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

on other servers you can get them dual wielding, nice toys like:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Steel_Hilted_Flint_Dagger

well, dagger in one hand and some cudgel in other with same proc. I guess that tecnically mag/necro/enc pets could proc that dagger.....not so easy to farm them on here tho!

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Old 02-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

Pets must improve past the 30s then, because I never got much more damage out of them than that heh

Good to make friends with a mage at the EC tunnel, donate for 4-8 nice weps.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Kobold

pets suck balls till the 49 one. That one is good, and it only gets better afterwards [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Your pets receive a pretty major jump from 49 to 52. The worst 52 pet (hits for 31) is appreciably better than the best 49 pet (hits for 28). The worst 58 pet is marginally better than the best 52 pet (both hit for 39) since the 58 pets have a minor lifetap proc.

To put it another way, look at the increases in their max hits:

Level 30 pet: 20, kick/bash
Level 39 pet: 22, kick/bash, double attack rarely (top pet only)
Level 49 pet: 28, kick/bash, double attack, dual wield (upper end pets only)
Level 52 pet: 39, kick/bash, double attack, dual wield (innate dual wield if max level)
Level 58 pet: 47, kick/bash, double attack, innate dual wield, lifetap

The 30 pet is weak, and the 39 pet is terrible.

Also account for level ranges. This is what cripples the level 39 pet and hurts the 49 pet. 80% of the pets you'll summon with the 39 spell are no better than what you had at 30, and the other 1 in 5 is only barely better. The worst of the 49 pets (hits for 20) is effectively the same as the best level 30 pet (which also hits for 20). If you want to use your pet at 49, be prepared to do some re-summoning until you get a useful one. From 49 to 58, I usually kept a bag with vendor trash weapons in it that drop off various monsters so as to be able to give them to the pet to make it dual wield. Never having to fuss with weapons is the nicest thing about the 58 pet.

By the time Shadow Knight pets start to become tolerably useful at 52, most folks have long since mentally written them off and don't give them a chance. The level 58 pet is the level 44 Necromancer pet, which has a (deserved) reputation for being fairly good for its level. Do not write it off. As noted previously, it will out damage the best Shaman pets.

If you want your pet to proc weapons against level-appropriate monsters, you want procs with a resist modifier. Even the Sword of Runes proc (-50 resist modifier) gets resisted with some frequency. I typically don't bother with pet weapons. The most useful thing you can give your pet is haste, either from an item (muzzle) or buff.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 02-23-2014 at 05:34 PM..
Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Think of the pet as an extra kick.
yeah, its like a DOT, but it can cause trains.
Closed Thread