Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 01-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by koros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They went through several iterations of code changes it seems.

My first char was a necro, and we definitely got 6 16-20 necromancers together and dropped sand giants in like, june 99. Probably the most fun I ever had in eq, but I digress. Lifetaps definitely didn't seem to apply the hard and fast level rule that other spells did.
I wonder if there was a patch message. I recall discussion of the +6 level thing, can't recall if it was started by a patch message tho (I started playing live in July of '99).
Old 01-29-2015, 06:23 PM
Planar Protector

Yes there was a group called the Necro Death Squad that was all Necromancers and they actually cleared Fear using just lifetaps and pets. it got necromancers nerfed hard, and that was when irresistible spells got a +6 spell limit.

I don't know if it was in the patch notes, at that time Verant was bad about listing changes in patches, and there were a lot of stealth nerfs that went in during that time, for example Mage and Necro pets had their summoned levels changed, changes to attack, resists, damage delay from Fine Steel Daggers making pets permahasted, etc.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Kobold

Couldn't they just have nerfed Spirit Tap instead of all lifetaps? I mean sure it would have annoyed high lvl SKs til get get to 60 and get their last lifetap and would have annoyed the hell out of necros from 29-39 but they would still have other lifetaps.

Guess it was just easier to blanket nerf all the lifetaps?
Old 02-15-2015, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristlebard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Such a shame, too. Sure seems like just removing the click from the hoop and leaving lifetap resists alone would have been a much better way to handle the problem.
Lol who ever made it a global life tap resist...
Old 02-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wonder if there was a patch message. I recall discussion of the +6 level thing, can't recall if it was started by a patch message tho (I started playing live in July of '99).
Necromancer Class Forum 2001

Quote:
Hehe man, it's so weird beiing a necro. At level 56 I was nearly useless on cazic thule, I used my dinky 49 pet and mana dumped to the clerics. This time around, at 57, the "magical number" was crossed and I could land spells on him. I hit him with 6x splurt (1600 a pop) 5x vexing mordania (1000 a pop) and about 2k in defluxes (plus a lil pet healing and lum/trox healing) for like 15-18k damage with pet. my group easily got exp (had a 57 wiz too, nobody died)
heh level caps are stupid.

now heres my off topic necro rant. i've been getting in some trouble lately cause I've been playing steps too much, the reason beeing frustration stemming from the same issues as Xargyn, playing a class Verant is so paranoid of overpowering they leave broken. On basically any dragon I'm 33% useless. With 2 necroes there I'm 17% useless. I just DMF and give 1/3 of a mana bar to a cleric. On basically every Uber mob in the game (excpet CT and INNY) 99% of necro spells are resisted, the exception being the ocassional pyrocuror that can stick and do all of 200 damage. Now lets look at spells left for me as I level up:
56 he was useless against Cazic-Thule (post-update who is level 65?... 9 level spread?). But at 57 he was fine.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Banned

I'd like to see more about life tap partials or lure partials tbqh

There are reports of this happening on the ice well guards, like they'd resist 1/3 of the siphon strengths you cast on them

Lifetap and lure partials I'm getting NOTHING in my digging and I always remembered them doing full or not working at all pre Luclin
Old 02-16-2015, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

there's no such thing as a lifetap partial, all or nothing
Videos
Wipe it clean.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1 Month into Velious Patch

Quote:
'Harmtouch' is now resisted as if it were a 'Lifetap' spell, meaning that it is all-or-nothing, and nearly unresistable with exception to encounters that are immune to magic or out of the acceptable level range. In addition, maximum damage for Harmtouch has been increased starting at 40th level.
Lifetaps confirmed all or nothing and unresistable unless mob is completely MR or out of "acceptable range".

Time to determine what the level range exactly was...
Old 02-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah shouldn't be

And yet I'm told they happen here

Haven't seen one myself tho
Old 09-24-2018, 07:07 PM
Fire Giant

This needs to be fixed... trakanon is no longer a reason to nerf lifetaps - no one is going to ivy hoop it anymore....

SK's and Necros need their lifetaps back to classic, and HT - enough evidence and patch notes have been posted for YEARS that show its classic resists etc. etc.

Xadion Von'Darkborn - Shadow Knight
Cory Von'Darkborn - Ranger
Brezner Von'Darkborn - Bard
Watermelons Siliconmelons - Corpse/Shaman