Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I play green99, will that mean I am a virgin again and I can get into heaven?
If your religion requires you to be a virgin to get into heaven, you belong to a very strange (and likely short-lived) faith ...

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molitoth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol

Here are things that also didn't exist::

*Discord
*Broadband
*fast Computing
*knowledge of game mechanics
*20 years of game familiarity
*and many more...
The conversation is about an in-game feature, not the technology at work outside of it. That being said, the longstanding 25 mob limit is an example of a "non-classic" feature that exists due to what you're talking about. It's been argued that Bards from 99-01 couldn't have swarmed entire zones with success--tech limitations being what they were--even though the game mechantics allowed for it. And, if it were somehow possible given the right conditions, few players were aware of it; if they had known, it would have been abused, petitioned, and addressed by the devs back then. That is the argument against MQing.
Last edited by Ennewi; 09-07-2019 at 11:09 PM..
Old 09-08-2019, 06:40 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The conversation is about an in-game feature, not the technology at work outside of it. That being said, the longstanding 25 mob limit is an example of a "non-classic" feature that exists due to what you're talking about. It's been argued that Bards from 99-01 couldn't have swarmed entire zones with success--tech limitations being what they were--even though the game mechantics allowed for it. And, if it were somehow possible given the right conditions, few players were aware of it; if they had known, it would have been abused, petitioned, and addressed by the devs back then. That is the argument against MQing.
No, this conversation is about people who didn't know things were possible on Live in era wishing that this server was the one they remember.

MQ's were common, you may not remember epic MQ's, but if you dont remember buying or seeing sold Jboots MQ's you were either blind or are lying.

AoE groups were common, Seb and Chardok were both common targets for them, in era, just not to you because you were not one of the cool kids who got invited.

Bards AoE kited, in era, all the way to 60. I knew several.

GM's were aware of all of this, which is why i knew many people who lost MQ'd items and couldn't petition because GM's just said you were SOL.

OT hammers were new to me here, but then again i played a wizard on live so i would never have needed to care.

All of these things are more common on P99 for the same reason P99 is popular at all. Many people loved EQ so much they never wanted to stop playing and they wanted to learn everything they possibly could about it to be the best they could be.

P99 is not and cannot be the perfect reincarnation of every individual's personal memories of old school EQ. It is the "If i knew then what i know now" power fantasy of a lifetime. Embrace that and stop asking the world to conform to your personal narrow memories of an experience you barely scratched the surface of.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
MQing/Recharging/Chardok AoE/Abuse of Clickies are all things that will ruin Green if allowed to exist. Make a real classic server instead of allowing borderline exploits to exists just because "they did" even though 95% of the population didn't know they did. In this setting, 100% of people know they do so it's not the same.
Recharging should have been eliminated on day 1. Not sure why the staff insists on keeping it in when they nerf shit like pbaoe/ivandyrs
Old 09-08-2019, 06:54 AM
Aviak

+1 on disabling MQing and recharging.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Recharging should have been eliminated on day 1. Not sure why the staff insists on keeping it in when they nerf shit like pbaoe/ivandyrs
if they did the economy would instantly hyperinflate and implode
Old 09-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, this conversation is about people who didn't know things were possible on Live in era wishing that this server was the one they remember.
I mentioned that, just with a different perspective on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
few players were aware of it; if they had known, it would have been abused, petitioned, and addressed by the devs back then.
It's not about what was possible. It was possible to train Sgt. Slate to the EC Tunnel in classic. It was possible to move around in treeform in classic. It was possible to scale the Freeport walls and exploit kill the guards. Incidental and intentional content are two different things; the patch history reflects that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
MQ's were common, you may not remember epic MQ's, but if you dont remember buying or seeing sold Jboots MQ's you were either blind or are lying.
From memory, they weren't on Tunare from the year(s) I played. Still, it's pointless to argue over unreliable, decades-old memories. What remains to be seen throughout hundreds of old screenshots is a single one that includes "MQ" or "MultiQuest" in auction chat or anywhere else for that matter. If it were common, as you say, wouldn't there be a screenshot or two out there? Wouldn't the old guild sites have a how-to for MQs? Maybe one of the epic pages on Allakhazam has mention of it in the comments, but I have yet to see any.

Quote:
AoE groups were common, Seb and Chardok were both common targets for them, in era, just not to you because you were not one of the cool kids who got invited.
Again, screenshots. Everlore should at least have a caption of all you cool kids talking about doing it. If not there than one of the old guild websites.

Quote:
Bards AoE kited, in era, all the way to 60. I knew several.
Anecdotal, wouldn't hold up in bug forums.

Quote:
GM's were aware of all of this, which is why i knew many people who lost MQ'd items and couldn't petition because GM's just said you were SOL.
That explains the staff's position here at least.

Quote:
P99 is not and cannot be the perfect reincarnation of every individual's personal memories of old school EQ. It is the "If i knew then what i know now" power fantasy of a lifetime. Embrace that and stop asking the world to conform to your personal narrow memories of an experience you barely scratched the surface of.
No one suggested perfection as a possibility, which is why custom changes have been more or less accepted by the playerbase. Openly considering the interrelation of game design and player creativity/activity isn't asking the world to conform. This happens in D&D as well, where an encounter can be undone with a single subversive act or meta; the DM makes the decision whether or not it should be allowed.

The original devs anticipated a lot of potential issues, with certain features, but they couldn't have covered everything.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010731194749

Quote:
Q: How many HP does the Paladin ability Lay On Hands heal?
A: Lay on Hands (Paladin ability, useable once every game day) heals 25 HP per level of the Paladin.

Q: Did you ever consider giving the Paladin a Full Heal with Lay on Hands?
A: No. It was decided very early on (pre Alpha) that giving the Paladin a Full Heal would be too easy to abuse. We didn't want people making "throwaway" Paladin's to pop full Heals on their primaries, nor did we want people bringing hordes baby Paladins on Dragon Raids to keep other characters alive. Giving the Paladin a Full Heal would also have taken away from the primary healing class of EverQuest - the Cleric.
From an RP standpoint, we decided that it made sense to have the Paladin's healing abilities increase as her power and faith grew.

The Arch-Mage, AKA Geoffrey Z., AKA GZ, is one of the Game Designers at Verant Interactive.
Last edited by Ennewi; 09-08-2019 at 08:03 AM..
Old 09-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree completely, I think it adds a huge amount of custimisation and years of farming and collecting for thousands of players on this server.

I think games that restrict stuff like this because players are "not playing the game the way it was designed" is the type of things world of warcraft type games do. It makes me feel like everyone is just playing exactly the same. Painting by numbers, coloring within the lines etc.

Everquest is a thriving world with an economy and the recharging system provides a platinum garbage disposal, and also teaches you how to interact with merchants respectably.

Recharging has made this a better game by factors of a billion as far as I am concerned.

A 10 year super strong digital economy has proven they made the right choice on a lot of decisions, I think the plat destroying, item recharging is a big part of this, and I also think item recharging adds twice as much (if not THREE TIMES!!!! as much) for you to hunt for than your character restricted gear does. Adding even more longevity to this game.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

Lol @ these pixel addicts screaming that the economy will implode if item recharging is removed. The only things that will implode are the cheesy raiding strategies that have been propped up by the thoroughly unclassic widespread use of recharged clickies. And on that same note, SoulFire should be Paldin-only clickable. Did you just hear that sound? That was the sound of a thousand neckbeards wailing in unison.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree completely, I think it adds a huge amount of custimisation and years of farming and collecting for thousands of players on this server.

I think games that restrict stuff like this because players are "not playing the game the way it was designed" is the type of things world of warcraft type games do. It makes me feel like everyone is just playing exactly the same. Painting by numbers, coloring within the lines etc.

Everquest is a thriving world with an economy and the recharging system provides a platinum garbage disposal, and also teaches you how to interact with merchants respectably.

Recharging has made this a better game by factors of a billion as far as I am concerned.

A 10 year super strong digital economy has proven they made the right choice on a lot of decisions, I think the plat destroying, item recharging is a big part of this, and I also think item recharging adds twice as much (if not THREE TIMES!!!! as much) for you to hunt for than your character restricted gear does. Adding even more longevity to this game.
The question then becomes why not turn all rechargeable items into unlimited charges? It's the SAME thing. Yes, the SAME thing. Literally. Think about it for a second...why do items with charges even exist if you can just recharge them? Hmmm...maybe now some of you might realize how dumb this is.

Recharging needs to be removed as it creates an unbelievably unclassic server. They just removed pet window. No pet window is classic. This is worst than removing rechargeable items when it comes to QoL. Do you know how many people play with pets and the pet window? Now the pet window is gone...this is by far a worst server change than removing rechargeable items. Less people on the server are recharging items vs how many people use the pet window.

Either make all rechargeable items unlimited charges (why not??? - it's no different than unlimited charges) or remove the ability to recharge items from the game completely. This should be addressed.
Last edited by skorge; 09-08-2019 at 10:07 AM..
Closed Thread