Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 06:15 PM
Aviak

great find, this is like getting a dunedigger while noodling around in Nro.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you even MUD bro?
Nope - pretty sure my first experience with an online multiplayer game was this WW2 flight sim knockoff that AOL had. No idea what it was called. Prior to that it was just playing coop or deathmatch Doom and Duke3d with friends from school "when you hear your phone ringing type atdt..."

Only found out about EQ because I worked at Circuit City at the time and it was all the rage over in the computer section.

-Mcoy
Old 01-28-2020, 06:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope - pretty sure my first experience with an online multiplayer game was this WW2 flight sim knockoff that AOL had. No idea what it was called. Prior to that it was just playing coop or deathmatch Doom and Duke3d with friends from school "when you hear your phone ringing type atdt..."

Only found out about EQ because I worked at Circuit City at the time and it was all the rage over in the computer section.

-Mcoy
Ah, unlucky. MUDs were sick. My first MUD was on AOL. All I remember though is that my character was like half draconian. That and I would run up the phone bill like crazy playing it.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

Oh neat - apparently it was called "Air Warrior":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFmJUhUI5KI

-Mcoy
Old 01-28-2020, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-Mcoy
Cool.

EQ, UT99 and Janes ww2 fighters were the first games I got for PC.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

edit:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Mblake81; 01-28-2020 at 07:29 PM..
Old 01-28-2020, 08:57 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotsalem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dont think 3 man groups turning down randoms is a big deal. Im playing the game for fun, and its not fun playing this game with most or all of you. Do you want me and my pals to stop having fun just so your bumb ass can get some XP? Pass
It depends where you're at. If you're in a popular spot (Crushbone, Guk, Unrest, etc.) where people go to find groups, turning people away is definitely a dick move. If you're in The Gorge of King Xorbb, have at it.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

-Mcoy
Air Warrior was on GEnie, not AOL. I played the shit out of it (at least the first version), on a 1984 Mac, 9" screen, black and white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Warrior
Old 01-28-2020, 10:03 PM
Planar Protector

Odd - I found the name from that Wiki article when I searched for "ww2 flight sim aol":

Kesmai also did business deals to provide access to Air Warrior through additional on-line services, including Delphi, CRIS, CompuServe, America Online, Earthlink, Gamestorm and CompuLink. A version of Air Warrior for Windows was ported back to the Macintosh in 1997 in an Internet open beta, and then later moved to America Online.

Of course it could have been something else, but it definitely reminds me of it. I mostly did bombing runs though because the concept of working different positions in the aircraft with other people was fascinating to me.

There's a game called HMS Marulken (that now is called Wolfpack https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=501529353 ) that has a similar mechanic.

-Mcoy
Old 01-28-2020, 10:08 PM
Sarnak

Would have been awesome to have the in-game mail system like they originally intended, though it was added much later in EQ’s life.

Also, we definitely need GM’s to take control of NPC’s occasionally. I’d love to see a GM-led train wiping out a swath of players in Lguk. Sort of a camp “reset” button.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:34 AM
Planar Protector

Cool find! It's funny the things that didn't make it into the game, like this one:

Quote:
And finally, this little tidbit: Lycanthropy will exist in the game, and it’s possible that
your character will become cursed and grow fangs on a full moon. Brad McQuaid
has this to say about the effects:
“It's a curse... and I can't go into details, other than to say that when you target a
player or NPC while under that curse, instead of revealing its name (as is usual), it
says "meat" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]