Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 01:51 AM
Banned

It's true -- IT and computers has little to do with programming. What most IT people do is more comparable to plumbing or being an electrician.

Sales can also be extremely lucrative and personality is pretty much the only qualification. It's practically an executive position at many firms. If you can see him charming people.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
can do network+ (which is mostly physical networking, wiring and servers, etc, not programming) and search for IT jobs while doing sec+

would not stop halfway though

it's not about programming, obviously that helps, but you can learn it after passing the tests. it's about concepts and memorization. literally anyone can do it, but statistically very few are. and the jobs are expanding so rapidly that no one can fill them. they even made a new distinction in government aside from the gs-level specific to cybersecurity - reason being, they cant keep these certified people away from private industry
Great suggestion and something I think everyone here should know about.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's true -- IT and computers has little to do with programming. What most IT people do is more comparable to plumbing or being an electrician.

Sales can also be extremely lucrative and personality is pretty much the only qualification. It's practically an executive position at many firms. If you can see him charming people.
Nope. He doesn’t have any charm at all.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

you should probably try to employ your friend, bet you cant and your friend is unemployable so just kill yourselves
Old 11-20-2020, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you should probably try to employ your friend, bet you cant and your friend is unemployable so just kill yourselves
You are somewhat right. I am hoping though, if he can land a decent paying job he will start acting like an adult and less like a kid. He is a hard worker, but doesn’t seem to or doesn’t want to push himself to higher positions.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:17 AM
Banned

+1 for UPS

You start in a warehouse and work your way up to driver. Once there you're set til retirement.

Just gotta bust ass.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are somewhat right. I am hoping though, if he can land a decent paying job he will start acting like an adult and less like a kid. He is a hard worker, but doesn’t seem to or doesn’t want to push himself to higher positions.
Yeah, sorry, I was being mean. I woke up seriously chuffed this morning. You didn't deserve it.

I wan't your friend to find a nice job too.

Stuff that requires minimal certification can lead to a fairly decent wage. I have a cousin who drives forklifts for ~$16 an hour and people who say go do the training for USPS and fill that application out over an over while working a service industry job. Or go right into UPS.

Also a lot of work at home customer support.

I feel like if someone needs a better job than min-wage-basic income, working those terrible jobs while persuing a better career is the way to go. You have to keep your eye on the prize and not sit there going 'oh working the CS counter at macy's is my life' those are positions to work for while ya get your comptia++ oracledb cert etc...

working tele-comm from home answering peoples calls about products online is huge if you could do that for cable or something you don't even have to spend money on a car, need a small tiny clean office area in your room you can screen off and have a little quiett and a decent internet connection

--- if he wants to work in an office, while he does simpler jobs he can work on accounting certifications and stuff and then he can hang out in an office doing the books for businesses

*note some of this stuff requires planning and moving to the locations with the big firm who does all the outsourced accounting, may include learning mandarin at some point

Also,

WELDING.

man if he's got talent for it like I did and he has the chops to stick with it... it's a never ending lead to more and more jobs of everykind
Last edited by magnetaress; 11-20-2020 at 11:44 AM..
Old 11-20-2020, 12:31 PM
Orc

Not to shit all over you or him and since no one else is doing it, I'll play the role of "reality".

Let's recap...

No tangible skills

Not a people person

Unreliable (that's what I gathered by "acts like a kid")

You checked off every box that shouldn't be checked on a job application.

Travel? With a position that requires a lot of travel, you must be reliable. All of these CompTIA/CCNA suggestions, require time and money. Also, the Network Administration field is increasingly becoming over inflated. A lot of it is being out sourced and technology is improving at a rate that allows 1 admin to manage networks that previously required 5. Cybersecurity is kind of the new "hotness" in the tech world right now.

Realistically, your friend will not find a job opportunity that pays 25+ an hour. Not in the near future at least. Unless you live in some crazy population dense city.

One last thing, this is a EverQuest forum, where the unemployed, disabled, and social burnouts gather in mass. Many here are very much, just like your friend. It's like asking an insane person for mental health advice.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

He could get a webcam and make some $$ that way.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Your friend sounds like a Bernie supporter
Closed Thread