Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Server Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 AM
apprentice04 apprentice04 is offline
Large Rat


Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6
Default

I think right now is a very good time for the staff to consider a new F R E S H server. Pantheon is starting to gain momentum in the youtuber world and this is getting people interested again in some of the design elements and tenants that classic era Everquest is built around.

I've seen a lot of comments from people who are interested in Pantheon but never played Everquest expressing interests in trying it out. They either want to disprove or prove certain aspects or features of the game like medding in combat or not having a map.

I dont think a Pre Kunark server would do any good for the above mentioned issues; mostly due to zone congestion in a classic only era server but I do think this is the right time to consider a new server launch.

As with all mmo's when there is a new launch, it attracts people to start over, or start for the first time. It always has a surge in population which is when Everquest is at its best.

Whatever you may feel about Pantheon, its momentum could be capitalized to draw in more players to Project 1999 with a new server.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Yasi Yasi is offline
Kobold


Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice04 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think right now is a very good time for the staff to consider a new F R E S H server. Pantheon is starting to gain momentum in the youtuber world and this is getting people interested again in some of the design elements and tenants that classic era Everquest is built around.

I've seen a lot of comments from people who are interested in Pantheon but never played Everquest expressing interests in trying it out. They either want to disprove or prove certain aspects or features of the game like medding in combat or not having a map.

I dont think a Pre Kunark server would do any good for the above mentioned issues; mostly due to zone congestion in a classic only era server but I do think this is the right time to consider a new server launch.

As with all mmo's when there is a new launch, it attracts people to start over, or start for the first time. It always has a surge in population which is when Everquest is at its best.

Whatever you may feel about Pantheon, its momentum could be capitalized to draw in more players to Project 1999 with a new server.
Over the last ~ 4 months, several classic-like private EQ servers have started (e.g. Legacy of Norrath or EQ Reborn). Both servers are not even close to the population of p1999. Now the p99 community will claim that it is because they are not purist-classic as they have several quality of life additions. This is prolly bullshit as daybreak's TLP servers attract a lot of people and end up with a larger player base than p1999 - and they are even further away from classic than the other private ones.

Begs the question why people prefer to play there.

Could be reliability: although p99 has been solid and standing strong for (i think) close to a decade now, there are also private servers in other games that suddenly took nose dives or were shut down (see WoW private servers) with thousands of people being pissed about losing their progress.

Could also be Krono: offering a chance to get the items they are looking for without investing much play time.

Could also be that the "improved classic" provided by TLP is prefered over real classic.

And finally it could also be that as fun as classic was: classic also had a smaller community back in the days. If I recall correctly, the EQ servers saw the most ppl during far beyond luclin (Peak Population around 2003). So for many former EQ Players, "classic" is not kunark/velious, but whatever Expansion there was when they joined the fun in 2002 or 2003.

So in short: I don't think that a green server would attract a lot of new players. A green server might attract a few former blue players coming back, but overall, the total classic-purist potential is limited.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Dillusional Dillusional is offline
Scrawny Gnoll


Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintmaster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I recall correctly it has been about 2 and a half years since the big event in North Ro to roll out Velious.
Velious was released august 2015, it has been well over three years......
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:59 AM
apprentice04 apprentice04 is offline
Large Rat


Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6
Default

In my experience people want to play on the newest server available. It doesn't really matter on the content, the rule set or anything else about a server. If it's fresh people will play it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Jauna Jauna is online now
Fire Giant


Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 602
Default

And in the servers experience people love the same ole same ole.

And in my personal experience many people give up and never come back when all their shit is gone the next day. SWGEmu used to be so full of people and 2boxers were left in town. Then when the patch/server wipe to introduce player towns hit not many returned, more people 2boxed in combat. towns and cities decaying, houses rotting, cantina and airports filled with spambots by people who probably died a few days ago and their last spark of life will remain in digital macro form until the next server shutdown.

People like you romanticise the idea of beginning a new but you will get bored of it in a few hours and miss your old life soon enough.

If the urge and want was big enough, people would be making their own servers and oh wait they do they are all over the login screen that you probably click past without a second thought every day.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-07-2018, 01:55 PM
apprentice04 apprentice04 is offline
Large Rat


Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6
Default

I romanticise the idea of beginning new because its the best time to play an mmo. The amount of enjoyment I have had out of mmo's peak with new server launches.

Populations on servers always dwindle regardless. Let me ask, what was the peak for p99 blue? Is it right now? Will it be tomorrow? Its definitely in the past. Population decline isnt a symptom of people getting bored and moving on because their stuff has a chance of disappearing a few years down the line. Technically that risk exists for every private server and to a lesser degree official servers too.

I also want to mention, I wasn't proposing a wipe of blue/red. My proposal was adding a third yellow/green/chartreuse server to compliment the other two.

I can tell my opinion isn't a popular one though, so I will just drop it. I apologize for the suggestion and will keep my ideas to myself.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-07-2018, 02:46 PM
loramin loramin is offline
Planar Protector

loramin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice04 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I romanticise the idea of beginning new because its the best time to play an mmo. The amount of enjoyment I have had out of mmo's peak with new server launches.

Populations on servers always dwindle regardless. Let me ask, what was the peak for p99 blue?
I'd guess the time around the Velious release (which supports the idea that everyone wants to try something new, but not everyone sticks around).

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice04 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My proposal was adding a third yellow/green/chartreuse server to compliment the other two.

I can tell my opinion isn't a popular one though, so I will just drop it. I apologize for the suggestion and will keep my ideas to myself.
To help you understand why your opinion is unpopular ...

Starting and running a server is a lot of work. Not the spinning up a new instance of EQ Emulator part: that's easy. It's the human part, having staff to support it, both with development and with customer service, which is hard.

So what you're really proposing (and I know this wasn't what you meant, but it is what you are proposing) is "hey can you people who have already put thousands of hours into supporting two servers spend hundreds more to create a fresh server, because it would be more fun for me?"

And obviously when I phrase it like that it becomes apparent why your proposal will fail. The people that are willing to volunteer their time to make classic EQ servers happen do so because they have an agenda, and that agenda is classic EverQuest. Adding some new server before the classic code is done and Green is ready is asking them to waste hundreds of hours of their time just to give you what you want.

Instead you'll have to wait until your agenda and their agenda come into alignment, ie. when Green comes out. Or you have to start your own server.
__________________

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous>
The wiki's Per-Level/Treasure Guides have hundreds of places to earn XP or plat.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Erati Erati is offline
Planar Protector

Erati's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,888
Default

thank goodness we have accurate information about the Green server avail at a moments notice from our community.

whew

glad we could steer the OP correctly!
__________________
Eratani / Cleratani / Eratou / Stabatani / Flopatani / Eratii
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-07-2018, 04:31 PM
loramin loramin is offline
Planar Protector

loramin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thank goodness we have accurate information about the Green server avail at a moments notice from our community.

whew

glad we could steer the OP correctly!
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
__________________

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous>
The wiki's Per-Level/Treasure Guides have hundreds of places to earn XP or plat.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 PM
Coridan Coridan is offline
Sarnak


Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 246
Default

I'm thinking it launches March 26, 2019. Exactly 20 years after EQ live launched, then it can follow the timeline exactly except +20 years.

Do they want Chardok 2.0 done before then? Probably, but even if they can't, they'd still have plenty of time to get it up before it was due on a Green server and it isn't quite the massive project that Kunark or Velious is.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.