Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is server chat not RnF. Just because you've been Stockholm Syndromed into loving the insanity of the P99 raid scene does not mean you need to insult people for saying perfectly sane and rational things in server chat.
You're lost buddy we're in "News & Annoucements"

Also saying that the raid scene on an emulated elf sim is a nightmare might not be the exact definition of a "perfectly sane and rational" thing to say.

Take another blunt, finish that Farscape episode with the missus and chill bro.
The staff is fine. If they don't wanna do it they can quit, some new people wanna try and are joining as we can see in this very thread. Life goes on. People are willing to invest time and energy working for free, and when they don't anymore they are free to leave.

it's all coo
watch the world burn /o/
Old 04-10-2019, 12:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How do you not re-read the parenthetical before you hit submit and not think to yourself “that sounds ridiculous and I need to rewrite this.”

Also, the white knighting? Get a hold of yourself sir.
Yikes.

Dude has 18 posts and so is likely somewhat new here. Not everyone thinks about things from the staff perspective ... which is totally reasonable: if all you read are the shouting voices it sounds like the only issue is raiders fighting with one another.

Aso, not everyone follows all the server drama; certainly not everyone who just reads the patch thread. But as anyone who does follow it knows, ToV is a real pain point for the staff.

Why is me saying as much such (and mentioning that the staff volunteers their time to let us play) a problem?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-10-2019 at 12:38 AM..
Old 04-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
... but everyone agrees that some solution is needed, if only for the sake of our poor (and as many often forget, all volunteer) staff.
I don't really get this. So all of these unclassic changes were made in an effort to cut down on the amount of petition work staff has to do? Petitions have always and will always exist in MMO end-game raiding, classic EverQuest included. After 10 years of classic EverQuest mechanics the server is now abandoning those principles because the guides are bored with raid petitions? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Magic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't really get this. So all of these unclassic changes were made in an effort to cut down on the amount of petition work staff has to do? Petitions have always and will always exist in MMO end-game raiding, classic EverQuest included. After 10 years of classic EverQuest mechanics the server is now abandoning those principles because the guides are bored with raid petitions? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you need context.

You have to remember this whole thing is a volunteer project. For ten years the main people behind this server have charged nothing for P99. That means for ten years they've cared far, far more than any of us here about "classic EverQuest". After all, no one here has devoted ten years of their life, giving up just incredibly massive amounts of their free time (and initially, their cash), so that thousand of complete strangers could have the joy of (re-)experiencing classic EverQuest.

But there's an inherent problem: there is one Blue, which is meant to emulate a single live server, and there are hundreds and hundreds of people who want to raid on it: several times as many as their were on the live servers. In any system where people compete for scarce resources, those people are almost guaranteed to fight and act like assholes to each other, requiring petitions ... but there's only so many volunteers with so many hours to answer them (while doing everything else they have to do too). Because of this basic fact, something about this server has to be unclassic.

So it's hardly "the people who gave up ten years of their life are sacrificing their vision to be lazy". It's that they face a stubborn and intractable (and impossible to solve in a truly classic way) problem. They've already tried solving it other ways before, and they have various other unclassic or semi-classic changes they could use to fix it now (eg. they could instance raid content, rotate it, etc.). But they chose this one because they felt it was the best way to solve the problem right now, and let thousands of players keep enjoying a 100% free and 100% volunteer run server.

And for what it's worth the dragons in ToV were rooted (not quite the same way, but close) very shortly after the classic era, so out of the various unclassic options they at least chose one "pretty close" to classic.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-10-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Old 04-10-2019, 07:37 PM
Sarnak

Thank you!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

And for what it's worth the dragons in ToV were rooted (not quite the same way, but close) very shortly after the classic era, so out of the various unclassic options they at least chose one "pretty close" to classic.
Agreed, this change is not something to bitch and whine about as "unclassic"
Old 04-11-2019, 03:13 AM
Banned

Oh.. Spirit wrack cord no longer drops in chardok. Cute.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
ToV is a huge issue for the support staff.
This is an easy opinion to form for a sideline observer whose only source of raid scene news has been chugging down the RnF Kool-Aid.

As far as I'm aware, there has not been a single petition related to ToV filed between top raiding guilds since PS petitioned AM/TP for training them with Vulak during their Fesh attempt in August last year - 8 months ago. Dealing with zero(?) ToV petitions in 8 months is not something I'd describe as a "huge" issue or burden on staff.

Is ToV drama free? Clearly not. But, as a result of Sirken no longer being involved in the raid scene and a recent lull in active CSR involvement, guilds have been forced to resolve their disputes amongst themselves.

I actually had fun on the repop with the new ToV changes but you're only fooling yourself if you think they're going to do anything other than increase the amount of drama in ToV, especially when less experienced guilds start tripping over each other.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is an easy opinion to form for a sideline observer whose only source of raid scene news has been chugging down the RnF Kool-Aid.
I strongly suspect I've been following the drama more than you have, but this is neither the time nor place to compare the respective sizes of our drama knowledge. And, just in general, we all really need to get off the personal attacks on fellow posters outside of RnF.

Suffice it to say there is some stuff on the P99 Reddit that will likely change your opinion, and if you read it you'll find that in fact ToV has been a major pain point.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I strongly suspect I've been following the drama more than you have, but this is neither the time nor place to compare the respective sizes of our drama knowledge. And, just in general, we all really need to get off the personal attacks on fellow posters outside of RnF.

Suffice it to say there is some stuff on the P99 Reddit that will likely change your opinion, and if you read it you'll find that in fact ToV has been a major pain point.
You've always been a misinformed idiot.
Last edited by jpetrick; 04-11-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Closed Thread