Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It caters to both, in varying degrees.
I'm in complete agreement.

Most people take the route of joining the server, joining a causal XP guild, getting their toes wet in some low-tier raiding, and then either stay there and keep things casual, or they catch the itch and join a raiding guild.

Edit: So my original comment was really aimed at the people that want to remain in a casual guild, want the convenience of scheduled raids, and want the comfort of knowing they won't spend hours clearing trash only to be leapfrogged by another guild. That just isn't the case on this server.
Last edited by rezzie; 06-05-2019 at 01:47 PM..
Old 06-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone's defensive about their poop socking!

Look, two things. First off, Rogean and Nilbog have never said they're "100% team competition". Rogean is pretty big on "competition" yes, but Nilbog was talking about implementing instances for Pete's sake: that's like the polar opposite of competition (and Rogean did not explicitly shoot the idea down).

Second, none of that matters. I'm allowed to have an opinion that's not the same as either Rogean or Nilbog. And that opinion definitely is that of someone who raids.

I love that Anonymous/AEGIS has predictable/scheduled raids. I love knowing that certain things are happening on certain nights so that I can tell the wife "I'll be killing dragons on Friday so you have to get dinner". To me that's the best of all worlds: getting to raid, with lots of other lovers of classic EverQuest, content I never got to twenty years ago ... but not having to sacrifice my real life to a video game just to be able to play it.

And this isn't some crazy modern desire; as the OP showed it was happening for people back in 2001 on some servers (it happened to a lesser extent on my server, Bristlebane, where I once "won" the rotation for Vox and got to lead an open raid on her).

You're welcome to your opinion, but the fact that you need to attack me for mine (outside of RnF no less) says far more about you than it does about me.
Man i always seem to agree with you.. And this situation is no different.. Well said Loramin.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Kobold

Quote:

And this isn't some crazy un-classic modern desire: as the OP showed it was happening for people back in 2001 on some servers (it happened to a lesser extent on my server, Bristlebane, where I once "won" the rotation for Vox and got to lead an open raid on her, which was one of the high points of my entire time playing on live).

Go back and look at that calendar again. I've posted it twice on these forums in the past because it was ONLY for reserving casual raid mobs. This calendar is from 2001. Note what's missing. ToV. Tunare. Sleeper's. Statue/AOW. VP. Lanys NEVER rotated or reserved the mobs that our "Uber guilds" were taking on. This calendar is not supportive of your argument that rotations were happening on some some servers. If you think PoH and PoF trash should be scheduled raids, then by all means. But top-end mobs were never a part of that.
Last edited by Moerne; 06-05-2019 at 07:35 PM..
Old 06-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Fire Giant

Luclin had a bunch of QoL stuff on its website. Raid calendars, character profiles (proto-Magelos), an updated and searchable list of characters' class, race, and guild status. Guild links, player stories, an Exp calculator and tons o' other stuff.
Main website
Art gallery (some still work)
Raid calendars

The marketplace is funny looking back. 4k for a Brown chitin protector, 4k for a clay guardian shield, 4k for an advisor robe:
Marketplace
Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The marketplace is funny looking back. 4k for a Brown chitin protector, 4k for a clay guardian shield, 4k for an advisor robe:
Marketplace
Good Lord, 18k for a Sword of Skyfire.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
First off, Rogean and Nilbog have never said they're "100% team competition". Rogean is pretty big on "competition" yes, but Nilbog was talking about implementing instances for Pete's sake: that's like the polar opposite of competition (and Rogean did not explicitly shoot the idea down either).
So, I owe GM Nilbog a sincere apology here. When I wrote that he had been "talking about implementing instances" I was referring to the conversation in Braknar's logs a few months back.

I recently reviewed that conversation and realized I had misunderstood what Nilbog said in it. While he did talk about instances as a solution other devs had used, and he did talk about specifically implementing a non-classic solution for ToV, in hindsight it's clear that he was referring to something like rooted dragons, not instances.

Talking about someone's private conversations that have been exposed without their permission is already a bit sketchy, but misinterpreting them to claim someone said something they didn't is even worse, so I truly apologize for misremembering/misunderstanding that conversation and falsely claiming that Nilbog considered instances as an option (when again, if you re-read the conversation, the instance stuff was coming more from Sirken and Nilbog never explicitly said it was an option).

Apologies GM Nilbog!

I still stand by my viewpoint, and I'll hold it regardless of whether Rogean and Nilbog agree with me ... but I never meant to misrepresent Nilbog in any way, and certainly not to paint him as being for instances when he never was.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

The Lanys calendar was used to coordinate planes raids and minor bosses like Naggy and Vox. It was not used for big targets -- partly because guilds like Conquest rarely respected it. But most other guilds did.

A calendar system for P99 would in my mind be for these purposes: fostering more open raids and helping mid-tier guilds coordinate so they aren't stepping on each other's toes.

Kael Arena, WTOV/NTOV farming, +6 dragons, PoH/PoF/PoG armor farms, Sky, and maybe even Naggy and Vox open raids would be great things to see on there and would foster a more community feel for the server.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

Looks like summer camp!
Old 06-06-2019, 04:21 PM
Fire Giant

Sorry Loramin but that literally sounds like "How dare everyone not conform to my schedule!"

The competition we see here is classic af... The only thing that isn't classic from back in the day on most servers is the amount of knowledge we have on how to beat encounters and the amount of gear that blue is full of, as well as the amount of politics that are going into this. It used to be cutthroat on Bristlebane, and I miss that. If Blue was like that, I'd probably be playing there instead of Red. Stop trying to make the server into something it isn't. The second you cater to the casual at end game, you will kill the raidscene, kill any sense of competition whatsoever. A-Team will have epics ffs.

Join us!!! Visit Asgard today!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry Loramin but that literally sounds like "How dare everyone not conform to my schedule!"

The competition we see here is classic af... The only thing that isn't classic from back in the day on most servers is the amount of knowledge we have on how to beat encounters and the amount of gear that blue is full of, as well as the amount of politics that are going into this. It used to be cutthroat on Bristlebane, and I miss that. If Blue was like that, I'd prsobably be playing there instead of Red. Stop trying to make the server into something it isn't. The second you cater to the casual at end game, you will kill the raidscene, kill any sense of competition whatsoever. A-Team will have epics ffs.
First off, it's not a black or white thing. Servers can have rotations and also have competition. In fact, Blue has rotated raid content, which has worked very successfully for many years: Plane of Sky. Plus we have open raids and player-run rolls (eg. Scout), which similarly enable players to experience content despite the presence of "top competitors".

On many live servers content was rotated 1-3 years after release (vs. our seven years of Kunark and three of Velious). This was a great thing: it led to tons of people (myself included) getting to do encounters they never would have otherwise. I lead an open Vox raid and many on it got to see Vox for the first time (and some lucky person who could never have gotten their epic otherwise got one).

I would hope that people here would be sympathetic to that, because it's what P99 is all about: letting people experience old EverQuest content that they missed out on or want to replay, years after the "O.G. competitors" faced it. I think there's room for those people to get to experience raid content and still let people that want to "compete" do so.

Whenever Blue, whether through player action or staff action, has opened up content to more players, it's always been a huge success. I think rotations do exactly that, and with Green and "real competition" (or as close as we'll ever get to it) coming in October it seems like the perfect time to do some more of it on Blue.

But really I'm not even pro-rotations, I'm just pro-letting people play classic EQ, and rotations seem like a means to that end

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-06-2019 at 06:24 PM..
Closed Thread