Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 10:13 AM
Banned

The funny thing about this, is that it is absolutely classic. One of the things i have always thought p99 has been lacking in some respects was the actual bugs that made CLASSIC eq, fun and unique, and that the oh fuck the game just took a shit on me aspect. Such as unrest.

Unrest pathing/pulling was a cluster fuck of epic preportions in classic, so much so that groups did not pull they traveled from place to place in the house. if you pulled to the outside of the house from inside the whole house came down on you.

I absolutely think this is a great aspect of the game. It's a shame that others don't see that aswell.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaezed-Reality [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The funny thing about this, is that it is absolutely classic. One of the things i have always thought p99 has been lacking in some respects was the actual bugs that made CLASSIC eq, fun and unique, and that the oh fuck the game just took a shit on me aspect. Such as unrest.

Unrest pathing/pulling was a cluster fuck of epic preportions in classic, so much so that groups did not pull they traveled from place to place in the house. if you pulled to the outside of the house from inside the whole house came down on you.

I absolutely think this is a great aspect of the game. It's a shame that others don't see that aswell.
That's certainly one way to encourage dungeon crawling, haha.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:40 PM
Banned

i always liked traveling around areas like seb and killing. Pulling to one spot ZZzzz Booring
Old 02-15-2020, 10:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's certainly one way to encourage dungeon crawling, haha.
Sometimes I wonder whether the devs envisioned camps as the primary modus operandi when they made the game, or if they’d intended more dungeon crawling. Obviously with certain items you have to camp them, only way you’d really have a chance at obtaining it. But for exp, dungeon crawling seems so much more exciting and dynamic.

Sadly dungeon crawling seems nearly impossible if a server has any real level of population.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsham [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i always liked traveling around areas like seb and killing. Pulling to one spot ZZzzz Booring
Seb kind of has that "lets camp here" feel to it as well though, unless you're the puller.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:30 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sometimes I wonder whether the devs envisioned camps as the primary modus operandi when they made the game, or if they’d intended more dungeon crawling. Obviously with certain items you have to camp them, only way you’d really have a chance at obtaining it. But for exp, dungeon crawling seems so much more exciting and dynamic.

Sadly dungeon crawling seems nearly impossible if a server has any real level of population.
I may be having a fever dream, but I seem to recall an interview with Brad decades ago that he was surprised at a lot of the emergent gameplay that EQ produced; camping and pulling being among them. They were pretty clear that they wanted people to play according to "The Vision", and a lot of early nerfs were the result of that mindset (DoT/kiting being one, which resulted in the reduced damage while running nerf. That was not something they foresaw, didn't like, and wanted to squash.)
Old 02-17-2020, 10:32 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seb kind of has that "lets camp here" feel to it as well though, unless you're the puller.
Yeah, and it's almost as if not everyone likes to play the same way Bigsham does, as incredulous as that sounds.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I may be having a fever dream, but I seem to recall an interview with Brad decades ago that he was surprised at a lot of the emergent gameplay that EQ produced; camping and pulling being among them. They were pretty clear that they wanted people to play according to "The Vision", and a lot of early nerfs were the result of that mindset (DoT/kiting being one, which resulted in the reduced damage while running nerf. That was not something they foresaw, didn't like, and wanted to squash.)
I remember that. The level of emergent gameplay really surprised them. As usual, when you develop in house with no widespread early non developer user testing you are surprised and horrified at the ways that people find to not do what you thought they were going to do.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember that. The level of emergent gameplay really surprised them. As usual, when you develop in house with no widespread early non developer user testing you are surprised and horrified at the ways that people find to not do what you thought they were going to do.
Hard to believe they didn’t envision camps. Not just for named mobs with high-end gear drops (which can take many hours to drop), but the fact that they had to realize that a server with any kind of pop couldn’t accommodate groups really dungeon crawling.

While I enjoy EQ, I will say I like games that have integrated instancing. Elder Scrolls, WoW, eventually Lost Dungeons of Norrath....static camping is beyond boring. I played a TLP for a while and I liked raid instancing. Took out some of the immersion of the game, but being able to break into a Plane like the devs intended with only max 70 ppl or so is a fun experience. Breaking Fear on P99’s with 250 people left....much to be desired.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, I agree, I don't know if camping specifically surprised them, but I know they were surprised by kiting and FD pulling and other 3l33t tactics.