Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 11:27 AM
Sarnak

Default Torp/epic shaman - trouble with WW dragons!

Now that I've got a complete spell book (woo!!) I decided it's time to try my hand at every shammy's dream: soloing WW dragons. I've been focusing on Bravatar, the level 53 at an egg nest just north of the ToV ent.

Only problem is, I keep getting overpowered. I'm pulling with Malo, slowing before he gets to me, hitting with 'Sini, setting my pet on him, then epic and pox while canni/torping. But over time, inevitably I can only get one or two canni's off before I need to re-torp (due to damage taken), and I end up becoming mana negative over time to the point where I'm only epic'ing, torping myself, occasionally healing my pet with a torpor, and basically not being able to canni up enough mana between torpor casts to keep that sustainable (let alone having spare mana to toss on another dot).

I have my epic, full spell book, semi-respectable gear (epic, resists all 90+, vindi bp but no ss armor yet).

Also, semi-related, I have to bail on many attempts because of adds -- I'm pulling the dragons to the very cliff edge of the drop-down to the area where the +6s are. Are people pulling dragons all the way from the egg nests to the shoreline? How is that possible without getting trash adds along the way?

Some kind soul should really make a wiki guide for this...! Perhaps if we have some knowledgable answers in this thread, I'll compile them and submit a guide.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:51 AM
Banned

Get rid of the pet. The only damage you're going to be doing is with your epic. Just canni and torp yourself into eternity. The fight should take 30 minutes or so.

It's not really a feat. It's kind of boring.
Last edited by bomaroast; 08-27-2021 at 11:57 AM..
Old 08-27-2021, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Get rid of the pet. The only damage you're going to be doing is with your epic. Just canni and torp yourself into eternity. The fight should take 30 minutes or so.

It's not really a feat. It's kind of boring.
This is wrong. Pet is good in WW Dragon fights, you just need to change your strategy a bit. What I do is I summon the pet after I pull the dragon. That way, I can use invisibility to get around, and I don't have to worry about my pet. I just have the pet summon spell on hotbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now that I've got a complete spell book (woo!!) I decided it's time to try my hand at every shammy's dream: soloing WW dragons. I've been focusing on Bravatar, the level 53 at an egg nest just north of the ToV ent.

Only problem is, I keep getting overpowered. I'm pulling with Malo, slowing before he gets to me, hitting with 'Sini, setting my pet on him, then epic and pox while canni/torping. But over time, inevitably I can only get one or two canni's off before I need to re-torp (due to damage taken), and I end up becoming mana negative over time to the point where I'm only epic'ing, torping myself, occasionally healing my pet with a torpor, and basically not being able to canni up enough mana between torpor casts to keep that sustainable (let alone having spare mana to toss on another dot).

I have my epic, full spell book, semi-respectable gear (epic, resists all 90+, vindi bp but no ss armor yet).

Also, semi-related, I have to bail on many attempts because of adds -- I'm pulling the dragons to the very cliff edge of the drop-down to the area where the +6s are. Are people pulling dragons all the way from the egg nests to the shoreline? How is that possible without getting trash adds along the way?

Some kind soul should really make a wiki guide for this...! Perhaps if we have some knowledgable answers in this thread, I'll compile them and submit a guide.
I have a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEgFcImQ9XU

You need to pull the dragons to the shoreline. It is 100% doable, you just need to watch the roamers. There are often large breaks in the roamers that allow you to pull the dragon all the way to the shoreline without agroing anything. It takes some practice, but I do it all the time. Never fight in the 6+ area, there are just too many roamers that can get you from the cliff edge.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-27-2021 at 12:38 PM..
Old 08-27-2021, 12:40 PM
Banned

Oh ya, I should have mentioned, cast disease dot with whatever mana you have to spare.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:58 PM
Banned

i tried to kill WW dragons before on my epic shaman

I found it pretty difficult as I kept dying before I could even pop a torpor on
Old 09-04-2021, 05:58 PM
Planar Protector

Here is a video showing how I pull Bravatar and kill him at the shoreline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igpbLuNe0ls
Old 09-04-2021, 06:15 PM
Planar Protector

I'm scared to talk about how to kill ww dragons with shaman.
My fear is the staff will make a change because "classic" environment.
*proceeds to talk about killing ww dragons*

There are atleast 2 spots to pull the dragon to that have zero adds. You just have to weave the dragon past adds to get them to this spot. (neither are in the water)

Before Buffing!!! remove all buffs, camp out entirely to login and log back in. (it's possible to have buffs shown in an incorrect order if you don't)
Always keep junk buffs up at the top, first buffs you apply. Then your important buffs at the bottom of your stack.
Make sure to have the proper resistances buffed for the particular dragon you're fighting. If it's breath is cold get your cold resist buffed up.

Using a pet is good but you want to be careful positioning them so they don't get hit by the ae breath.
Keep the pet hasted, what I do is buff it's STR and tell it to guard before I run out to grab the dragon. Then when im in camp I haste the pet and position it.
The pet can also be used as a mana battery use a mage focus item reclaim energy.

I focus my dps into Bane of Nife, My logic is I want to kill as fast as possible.
Epic dot. I try to pox but if pox isn't playing nice I don't use it.

Torpor on yourself 99.9% of the time. Your torpor should never be down once you have the dragon situated.
This is easier said than done. My logs show ~95-98% uptime on torpor.

Clickies use them.
Get those Resist Flowers from PoM
I'm not so proud that I can't admit using wort pot to save a wipe attempt.

cannibalize is different when soloing a hard target. It's a balance game of life vs mana vs life.
Canni too much, you'll die. Canni too little, you'll die. Play it by feel for how much life and mana you have.

Never get too low on HP. One of my theories about p99 is that with low hp you're more likely to take high hitting damage. Note this is not classic or eq but I have a gut feeling that it is this way on p99.

Enter Dragons Necropolis if get 1 add. Be careful not to train anyone.

Troll Shaman innoruuk get's a clickie snare necklace that DOES work on WW Dragons!! Never have to chase dragons into the water!
Plus Troll Regen helps mitigate some damage and keep your HP higher than barb/ogre
Iksar is technically the most min-max meta shaman race if you can get velious BiS
Troll gets Regen and Stats
Ogre gets FSI and stats

The FSI is NOT required to do WW dragons.

I can't share videos because people will harass me in game. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm forgetting somethings that could have been included in this post.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 09-04-2021 at 06:26 PM..
Old 09-04-2021, 06:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm scared to talk about how to kill ww dragons with shaman.
My fear is the staff will make a change because "classic" environment.
The strategy I show in the video has been around for 3+ years at least. I doubt the devs do not know about it by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Troll Shaman innoruuk get's a clickie snare necklace that DOES work on WW Dragons!! Never have to chase dragons into the water!
You can just root the dragon if you don't want to chase it. If you can get a WW dragon down to 20%, you should be able to go the rest of the way no problem. Here is a video showing rooting the dragon for no chase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLhe3KQXke0
Old 09-04-2021, 06:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The strategy I show in the video has been around for 3+ years at least. I doubt the devs do not know about it by now.
Yeah the running to the shoreline is a proven strat that I won't argue about.
There are just a couple nicer spots, until then shoreline for 99% of people.

Also Shoreline is a safer pull simply because it's a shorter distance. For those who aren't confident weaving a dragon through adds, shoreline is the goto.

I've seen Necros killing WW dragons using the shoreline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can just root the dragon if you don't want to chase it. If you can get a WW dragon down to 20%, you should be able to go the rest of the way no problem. Here is a video showing rooting the dragon for no chase:
Snared fleeing WW dragon does 0 damage.
Rooted fleeing WW dragon can hit you and do damage. But you prob wont be standing near it. Watch out for breath.

I'll take the snared ww dragon which eliminates the possibility. Especially since I do use a pet.
Mostly personal preference tbh.

blahblahblah,... The Troll Shm clickie snare is mana free. Sure it's a longer cast time but you're using zero mana to cast it.

@DeathsSilkyMist thank you for continuing to help people on the forums with shaman.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 09-04-2021 at 06:34 PM..
Old 09-04-2021, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
@DeathsSilkyMist thank you for continuing to help people on the forums with shaman.
You too, Baler. Good to see you back![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]