Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
can you imagine? nobody should ever be subjected to opinions different from their own...its world-ending
Old 12-15-2023, 05:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
can you imagine? nobody should ever be subjected to opinions different from their own...its world-ending
nah but they shouldn't be subjected to reading literal hate speech or racism, which is what gets these idiots banned (and those posts removed)

hope this helps, happy christmas
Old 12-15-2023, 05:19 PM
Banned

When was the last time I was banned? Start of the year?

Asked about what I wanted as a gift this year, I said peace on earth! Oh, and I think a manastone, probably won't get the second though.

Love you all.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:24 PM
Aviak

Here's the thing, every time anyone has ever tried to define what hatespeech is, the definition is always circular, and each chunk of the definition is roughly a synonym for the chunk before it, so it doesn't actually tell you anything.

No hatespeech means no racism and no bigotry and no targeting of groups? Well, okay. But just understand that it's like if somebody asked you to define what water is, and instead of telling them that water is two hydrogen atoms bound to an oxygen atom, you tell them "Water is the substance that is created when the materials that form it are bonded". Sure, I guess that's a truism, but it didn't help me understand what water is.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's the thing, every time anyone has ever tried to define what hatespeech is, the definition is always circular, and each chunk of the definition is roughly a synonym for the chunk before it, so it doesn't actually tell you anything.

No hatespeech means no racism and no bigotry and no targeting of groups? Well, okay. But just understand that it's like if somebody asked you to define what water is, and instead of telling them that water is two hydrogen atoms bound to an oxygen atom, you tell them "Water is the substance that is created when the materials that form it are bonded". Sure, I guess that's a truism, but it didn't help me understand what water is.
facts are hate speech

hope this helps
Old 12-15-2023, 05:35 PM
Banned

Actions have consequences, a fact the right has been working very hard to change for centuries
Old 12-15-2023, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nah but they shouldn't be subjected to reading literal hate speech or racism, which is what gets these idiots banned (and those posts removed)

hope this helps, happy christmas
Being consumed with worrying about Hate speech rhetoric is a luxury belief, ideas imported from Europe and Academy. They seem to clash with American liberal values that have produce all sorts of diverse culture. It saddens me if farther left folks than me want to start shutting down speech so easily.

So much great art: literature, visual arts, music, movies, and video games all lived on the edge of what was acceptable at one point in time. But hate speech focus ends up being about shutting down what people don't like.

Our culture changes quickly and people don't change as fast as culture wants it to. Conversations work better typically than punishment.

A lot changes in 24 years. A lot stays the same. Kimmel is still in late night on ABC. And Carolla still does well in radio. There is room for many voices despite all our differences.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Seducio; 12-15-2023 at 05:45 PM..
Old 12-15-2023, 05:50 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actions have consequences, a fact the right has been working very hard to change for centuries
I totally agree with you, but actions need to be clearly defined, or the violator can hardly be blamed for his crime.

Genuine ignorance of the law isn't a get out of jail free card, but it's also not supposed to impose an additional punishment.

Also I have no idea what kind of xmas tree I cut down but it's definitely not a spruce or hemlock because it smells like grapefruit. It's actually wonderful.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:57 PM
Banned

MAGA's repulsive nature isn't the fault of the individual MAGA adherent, but we don't need to be tolerant of the intolerant
Old 12-15-2023, 06:02 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
MAGA's repulsive nature isn't the fault of the individual MAGA adherent, but we don't need to be tolerant of the intolerant
Completely agree, but you also don't want to accidentally be intolerant of people who are not actually intolerant, because now you're actively working against the whole concept of tolerance.
Closed Thread