Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 11:30 AM
Large Bat

Default Cleric or Shaman

I have a friend coming back to play on Green with me, and we're looking at doing some duo action and occasionally grouping as well. He'll more than likely go warrior, or some tank based class. I never played a healing class in EverQuest, but almost in every other MMO since then I have.

So I'm curious, which would best compliment a duo the best, a cleric or shaman? In theory we'd be in for the long run, but play time probably limit us from end game dungeon raids....if that matters. And for either class suggested, does race for selected class matter that much?

As for druid, I never really considered playing one... Just never got the warm an fuzzy from druids, but welcome to hear input on that class as well if it would be a wiser choice.

Thank you for any input and/or advice.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:24 PM
Aviak

Cleric has the advantage of being all you need to get a larger group going for harder areas. Less gear needs as well for your whole career. Shaman has the more diverse toolbox your duo will appreciate traveling around and has my vote for most interesting priest class to play personally. Lots of shaman on green though who would group with your Cleric.

If you really don’t have an opinion between the two I’d be inclined to go Cleric if your buddy plays warrior and probably the Shaman with a paladin or Sk as they will appreciate the buffs and slow more and have some limited tools to split up a spawn the Shaman lacks.

Race to me is entirely 99 % cosmetic. With the possible exception of playing a night blind race on Green. Depending on your graphics card and drivers and Green’s lighting implementation people are getting strange results. That said: Play what you like the look of especially how their armor looks. Gear will fix stats in time. Just consider how easily a time your level 1 erudite cleric is going to have reaching your wood elf buddy in Greater Fay if that’s where you want to start out together.

Druid is clearly a fan favorite and the ability to port when you get bored of the current area shouldn’t be overlooked but it feels like 40% of the players I run across are Druids and porting seems pretty widely available.
Last edited by rajax; 04-13-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Old 04-13-2020, 01:39 PM
Planar Protector

Honestly, both will be great.

But if you plan to duo exclusively (and not form groups with other people) I'd tend to think the Shaman's lower healing abilities will be more than made up for by their far better utility abilities (SoW, slow, far better buffs including haste, etc.) and better damage dealing potential (DoTs, pet, and JBB at 45 ... well, someday when Kunark comes to Green).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:46 PM
Banned

As loramin said, if your plan is to mostly duo, the shaman is going to be your best choice.

I'd recommend picking the same race for ease of starting in same area so you can log in and immediately be together.

Troll shaman + troll warrior would probably be my pick due to the racial regen, but there are upsides to barbarian and ogre as well. Go with what you guys decide is the coolest and have a great time leveling up.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

Ogre Shaman and SK is a pretty supreme buddy combo.

Can do good guy Barbarian version (with warrior) for good guy action with inferior stats and racial benefits but goodly demeanor and true heroism.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

A cleric has an ability split pulls while a sham doesn't (not really at least). I think it really depends on if your bud wants to roll a class that can pull singles or not. Otherwise your grind spots will be more limited.

Likewise will this person will be with you through the entire grind? Besides select undead spots the sham, even on Green, is much more adept at soloing.

Edit: I like the idea of picking two of the same race, easier group-up right out of the gate. Don't min-max, keep it easy and murder those rats/bats together. Druids are less optimized than shams/clerics but ports are really nice.
Last edited by Snaggles; 04-13-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Old 04-13-2020, 08:38 PM
Large Bat

I really appreciate all the input and advice. As for the whole starting race, I'm kind of seeing what he will pick and then sorta base my choice off of that. Though we do have enough common sense to pick something that we're able to meet up together with relative ease.

As it stands, with the amount of responses, it seems like it roughly 3 to 2 in favor of the shaman. If I remember correctly, shamans typically get their heal spells a circle below the cleric and are more of a "regen" type of class yeah? They're still able to efficient pull off heals, even as a main healer of a full group? I mean, i do love a challenge... Something that keeps me busy is more entertaining to play. Granted, i want to be viable and "needed" at the end of the game.

Again, thank you for all the information and recommendations.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwithers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I remember correctly, shamans typically get their heal spells a circle below the cleric and are more of a "regen" type of class yeah? They're still able to efficient pull off heals, even as a main healer of a full group? I mean, i do love a challenge... Something that keeps me busy is more entertaining to play. Granted, i want to be viable and "needed" at the end of the game.
Yes and no. Yes Shaman get regeneration buffs and Clerics don't (but regen is slow to the point of almost being a non-factor when you think of healing). Yes they are worse healers (I'm not sure "a circle behind" is always true, but something like that).

But the other thing is, Shaman get slow, and especially in the second half of your leveling it makes a huge difference. If you slow a mob to half speed, then that's like healing half of all damage that mob will do with a single slow spell ... and the slow line of spells gets up to 70%.

As for being the main healer of a full group, while slowing? No, Shaman definitely can't do that. In a duo you'll heal just fine, but in a full group you'll want a Cleric (or at least a Druid or another Shaman) healing ... and if you're a Cleric you'll definitely want a slower, because both are key roles.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:55 PM
Kobold

Shaman + monk/SK is great.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:57 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for being the main healer of a full group, while slowing? No, Shaman definitely can't do that. In a duo you'll heal just fine, but in a full group you'll want a Cleric (or at least a Druid or another Shaman) healing ... and if you're a Cleric you'll definitely want a slower, because both are key roles.
Gotcha ok. Good to know the limitations. Its been so long since I played, I really can't remember the group composition from back then. I'm sure I did group with two priest classes, at times, but I just tend to remember a single one in the group. Thank you for the input.
Closed Thread