Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Screenshots

Old 10-09-2023, 10:02 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"...Retiring characters is still an unknown at this point..."

Who wants to live forever?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOhuK7aZayw

Flaw in the fucking gameworld is persistent characters.

My current fave emu solution is, 30 in-game days after you hit max level, the game spawns a Brother Mouzone to track you down.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
on a rewatch right now, my mans one cold dude. its all in the game though.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:38 AM
Aviak

it makes me sad that p99 exists, but there's no active IRC channel for it

[ You smell that? ]
Old 03-31-2024, 11:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, Brad just ripped another property off to turn into a 3D video game, no wonder he never made another successful game.
Sounds like the frivilous claim by Spirit that LZ ripped them off for Stairway to Heaven

A similarity of a single chord does not constitute plagarism
Old 04-03-2024, 06:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, Brad just ripped another property off to turn into a 3D video game, no wonder he never made another successful game.
The argument could be made he saw gold and iterated on it. Just like WoW did with EQ. Ppl calling Brad dumb and evil are short sited themselves.

It requires genius to recognize and understand genius on a level to improve upon it.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The argument could be made he saw gold and iterated on it. Just like WoW did with EQ. Ppl calling Brad dumb and evil are short sited themselves.

It requires genius to recognize and understand genius on a level to improve upon it.
Yeah, I asked in another thread where someone was making this plagiarism claim how enchanter played on the Everquest MUD with charm, mez, lull, etc. No response. I wasn't even being clever, I don't know the answer, I just suspect it. I believe Geoff Zatkin invented those spells. There's so much originality in EQ, why focus on the fact they stole the idea of making a game or whatever. That MUD probably ripped off D&D who ripped off Tokein who ripped off European folklore and so on down the line.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I asked in another thread where someone was making this plagiarism claim how enchanter played on the Everquest MUD with charm, mez, lull, etc. No response. I wasn't even being clever, I don't know the answer, I just suspect it. I believe Geoff Zatkin invented those spells. There's so much originality in EQ, why focus on the fact they stole the idea of making a game or whatever. That MUD probably ripped off D&D who ripped off Tokein who ripped off European folklore and so on down the line.
You believe Geoff Zatkin invented charm and mez?
Old 04-03-2024, 09:30 PM
Banned

This Gygax denial has gone too far

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w...ok_1st_edition

Charm monster • Charm person • Charm person/mammal • Charm plants
Old 04-03-2024, 09:34 PM
Banned

Meanwhile sirens have been charming men since before the siege of Troy

https://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast246.htm

Quote:
Sirens charm men with their beautiful singing. Sailors who are attracted to the singing fall asleep; the sirens then attack the men and tear their flesh. They sing when it is stormy but weep when the weather is fair.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:56 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextasy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it makes me sad that p99 exists, but there's no active IRC channel for it
preach
Old 04-04-2024, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I mean I read OP's long post from 2020 as well and really there would be no possible claim for plagiarism (at least in the actual law suit sense). I agree that you can certainly argue many things were ripped off Sojourn (such as the two human cities and their characteristics, the Barbarians, the Ogre city, etc.) but none of this rises to law suit level. OP's posts are really interesting, but his adamant statement that Sojourn could've sued them had they been a for profit entity shows a lack of understanding of how IP law works (not that he should have an understanding of course, he's not a lawyer so that's not intended as a criticism).

Plus as you note much of what was in Sojourn was already in D&D. For instance, Dwarves being in the mountains? That was Tolkien and followed by D&D, not a Sojourn situation. Classes and their abilities? A lot of that was D&D, not Sojourn. The only real way Sojourn could've sued Brad/SOE would've been if they actually used the same code, the same names for the cities and the same lore, etc. I.e., if they basically stole the actual code and the entire game itself and imported it into EQ. Which they didn't.