Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 06-13-2023, 04:57 AM
Large Rat

Default In Game Maps?

I used to play Everquest over 20 years ago. It seams to me that the Map function worked.

I am now trying out Project 1999. Is there any way to get in game map files? Also does Project 1999 allow this?
Old 06-13-2023, 07:13 AM
Planar Protector

Maps and cartography were added with Legacy of Ykesha, which is several expansions after Scars of Velious.

The project aims to emulate Everquest in the period up to and including Velious. As such the ability to use maps has been removed from the game.

The classic solution is to print off or draw your own maps.

If you are inclined then the games log file can capture output of /who, /loc and sense heading which could be used to create an overlay of a map of the current zone showing your location and facing. There is probably already a software solution for this but I don’t know whether it would be compatible with the games usage agreement.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-13-2023, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

There is a software solution. It is a perfectly legal third-party program which only reads log files. It is called nParse.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcook [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there any way to get in game map files? Also does Project 1999 allow this?
As mentioned above nParse will let you have a map. The letter of the law allows it but the old backspace map has been disabled so you'll need to judge for yourself regarding the intentions.
Old 06-14-2023, 03:02 AM
Planar Protector

It’s probably because a rule against third-party programs that read log files and do not send inputs to the game would be unenforceable.

If you’re trying to figure out whether the devs want us to have quality of life or not, you’re thinking about it the wrong way. And if you’re thinking of P99 developers/owners the way you think of normal game devs who are providing a service, you’re thinking about it the wrong way. Rogean has literally said he doesn’t care how many people play here. He just wants to replicate classic EQ. He is not doing it for us.

In-game maps are unclassic and thus were removed; third-party programs are also unclassic, but probably cannot be prevented.
Last edited by Videri; 06-14-2023 at 03:04 AM..
Old 06-14-2023, 11:07 AM
Orc

I just use EQ atlas.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:45 PM
Sarnak

nParse, EQTool and Zliz EQ Map are all legal, log parser options to provide you with a map overlay that updates your location based on the /loc command. Can bind it to a movement key like people do with Sense Heading.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:32 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just use EQ atlas.
Yes, I just bought one of these for myself. I had one, back when they were current/valid back in the day
Old 06-18-2023, 02:10 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for all the input from every one.

As it turns out, I was not happy with 1999 policy of not allowing boxing. So I started my server and I have been playing 6 characters in a groupe (or at least trying to).
Old 06-20-2023, 12:02 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcook [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for all the input from every one.

As it turns out, I was not happy with 1999 policy of not allowing boxing. So I started my server and I have been playing 6 characters in a groupe (or at least trying to).
Honestly, at that point, I would just play on live